Recording Novice

Got this bad boy today. Not recorded other than off the MacBook webcam and microphone before. Iā€™m going to use it with the Scarlett 2i2. Any suggestions for a complete novice to recording ? Iā€™ve got software bundled with the Scarlett and also GarageBand with the Mac which looks probably a bit more user friendly? Any advice and tips welcomed :+1:

Garage band is a great way to start.

1 Like

Great mic for home recording :+1:

I donā€™t mess too much with the software suites but Tobyā€™s got a thread on mixing and loudness levels.

2 Likes

Iā€™m no expert, but my set up is very similar. Garageband is great, but thereā€™s a bit if a learning curve if youā€™ve not used DAWs before. Thereā€™s a ton of youtube tutorials out there though.
I expect your mic will need phantom power (which the 2i2 can provide - just remember to turn that on).
Probably easiest to plug it all in and see where (if anywhere) you get stuck, Iā€™m sure the collective brain will be able to sort you out.
Looking forward to seeing the first results!
Cheers
Paul.

1 Like

Cheers Dave, I knew there was a guide somewhere out there, thanks for sharing the link.:+1:

1 Like

Hi Ian,

A few days ago I sae that Focusrite will be running some events called Home Studio Recording Tour 2023.
I see that youā€™re in Scotland but as far as I can see those events are in England. I suppose you could keep an eye on them in case they do one somewhere close to you.
It could be interesting.

2 Likes

For anyone interested:

Sadly dates in South donā€™t work for me .

1 Like

Iā€™ve not long done a live mic recording on my PC with a Scarlet. If you have anything specific feel free to ask. Iā€™m far from great at this as that was my first few attempts too :slight_smile:

Youā€™ll need a mic stand, and XLR cable/s

If your scarlet is new you may have the option to download some free software from your scarlet account. If so, theres a free reverb plugin ā€œRelab LX480ā€ thats does an ok job.

R

2 Likes

Thanks Rachel. Iā€™ve got all the gear, and almost no idea! No, itā€™s just a case of me getting the time to sit down and spend time ā€˜experimentingā€™!:+1:

Not sure how you did, but Iā€™m in the same boat myself except I have no equipment other than my Ipad. I have done a lot of research though. Hopefully you quickly found out the best place to face the mic is NOT towards the soundhole, but more towards the 12 to 14th fret.
Still in a quandary as far as what to get myself.

1 Like