Rhythm Essentials

Good morning! Thank you for getting back to me…
No I don’t have the guitar pro software…I don’t even know what it does! Is it something relevant for acoustic guitar playing? If so how do I obtain it?
Thank you!

1 Like

Justin has an AMAZING video explaining everything you need to know about guitar pro:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Which drum book was it?

Delayed reply - apologies.
You completely do not need it unless you want to open and use TAB notation files and create your own.

Hello, noob question here: For the 8th notes, I see that Justin has notated them such that two 8th notes are connected (bridged) together at the top of each pair. However, I have also seen instances where, when there are four 8th notes in a row, all four are connected (bridged) together by a single line at the top of each note. Any idea why this might be? Is one way correct vs. another? Thanks!

Hello Jeremy,

The 4 notes ‘bridged’ together would be 4×16th notes, which equals one beat. So, in 4/4 timing, its a 1/4 note.

The 2 x 8th notes you refer to are also equal to a 1/4 note.

So, generally, when you see the bar across the top joining notes, it equals, in total, one beat. So a 1/4 note in 4/4.

Different number of notes 》different values 》different rhythm.

Cheers, Shane

The note duration is determined by a single or a double line.

If it’s a beam with a single line then those are 8th notes counted as ‘1 and 2 and’.

A double line is used to beam 16th notes, counted as ‘1 e and a 2 e and e’.

You’ll sometimes see that beats 1 and 2 are grouped together, as well as beats 3 and 4.

I always thought that grouped notes indicated a different pulse. So in the second example I would think beats 1 and 3 are stronger than 2 and 4, but I’m not sure if that’s true.

1 Like

Thanks this was a great help. I look forward to more of your lessons.