Rhythm Essentials

Are there videos of the sessions? or just the pdf’s?

The recordings are not published, it is a live event. I write extensive follow up notes that give full guidance on the content of the session so you should be able to make use of that.
:slight_smile:

I’ve only just watched this lesson today and I’m quite shocked to find it in Grade4!
This is real basic stuff and is what students should be doing in Grade1, right at the start of their learning. It would lay the foundation of rhythm right from the start and save some of the anguish about rhythm that some carry through to following grades.

I have an ear training app on my phone that has this kind of rhythmic dictation. You clap or tap along to written notation and metronome. At the end of each exercise it tells you if you were correct or not and also if you were on, ahead or behind the beats and half beats. The exercises get progressively harder and you can up the tempo of each exercise.

I’m not sure if I should name the app because I know Justin has his own apps, @Richard_close2u ?

1 Like

David @BurnsRhythm
I tend to agree with you Grade 4 is quite late on for first lesson in the course. I would have thought Lesson 1 should perhaps be in Grade 3 or even Grade 2. As you say the rhythm underpins everything.
I came across it a while ago and thought with a bit nervousness I would give the final test another go, the one with changing chords. Managed to get it right.
I have had the other two lessons on my to do list for quite a while, must get around to doing them.
Michael

1 Like

@MAT1953
That emphasises my point exactly, Michael.
You’re at a stage (G3,4,5…) where that exercise should be a piece of cake. “Managed to get it right” tells me it maybe wasn’t altogether easy for you. If you had done this lesson in G1, then it would be old hat to you by now and your progress through the grades would have benefited from it.
I haven’t looked at the next two lessons either yet but this one should be much earlier in the grades.

This lesson was a breeze for me because I did this stuff way back, probably in school. I appreciate that not everyone did that - which is why it should be taught much earlier.

1 Like

David @BurnsRhythm
Sounds as though I did emphasised your point.
I used the word “managed” as I had to listen to question 4 a few times to convince myself I had it right.
Your statement about doing this sort of thing at school, is relevant. I didn’t do music at school so my knowledge about music was zero until started to learn the guitar, well perhaps not quite I knew what the notes on the lines of the stave, only as general knowledge thing, had no idea what the notes were in the spaces.
I suppose this shows we come to learning from different musical backgrounds of knowledge so Justin has difficult task deciding what and when. It is interesting though that Richard did rhythm early on in his vintage club.
Michael

1 Like

@MAT1953
Richard knows the importance of rhythm, and so of course does Justin.
So why Grade4 before this pops up?

Clapping along and counting out simple rhythms is school kids stuff.
Thinking back…it’s what we did in primary school. When I went to secondary school, most of the kids had no such musical experience. It was grammar school - all about academia!!

1 Like