Ride The Crimson Wave

One take slide guitar session:

12 Likes

Goooood morning Clint,
You are the 2nd happy surprise of this morning ,…I enjoyed the tones very much :sunglasses: :sunglasses:,. …and at this,…, :arrow_down:…, moment…written a slide on my wish list :smiley:,…Thanks

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

That’s cool. Thanks for sharing. Did you learn via online courses?

1 Like

Thank you sir! I won’t ask what the first surprise was (you lucky dog!). It’s just a moment. Someone’s highly anticipated result can prove to be someone else’s sigh of relief (or whatever). As an independent I’m neither celebrating nor licking my wounds.

The musical adventure and learning goes on nonetheless. I had to buy 4 or 5 slides to find one that seemed to fit right. Oh well, off to study some more slide chops. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! Check out Andy Aledort who played with Dickey Betts, he has some easy to follow lessons on TrueFire and youtube. Bunch of other tutorials out there as well. You’ll want a guitar with a high action, open E tuning and a progression in the key of E. Let 'er rip!

1 Like

Great stuff as usual Clint. I think that’s the first time I’ve seen a slide guitar recording on here. I enjoyed it very much and one to book mark to look back on for inspiration when I get to the stage of learning that technique thats if I can get a slide that fits.

1 Like

Thank you sir! Now that you mention it, I don’t recall anyone else dabbling with slide guitar here. That’s not to say that I’ve crushed it or anything, just a fun little study diversion. It felt a little like a blind squirrel occasionally finding a nut. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

I have to answer :innocent:,…the first one also had to do with music and Brian L…(i`m still laughing :laughing:)…

And by having read something here somewhere on the site about slide I understood you don’t always choose a slide easy, so better said ‘quite difficult’,…thanks for the reminder,and I’m moving myself to a store instead of online … :slightly_smiling_face:
Greetings,…

1 Like

Thanks. I did play a bit of slide several years back when I injured my finger and couldn’t play any other way, and had one of my guitars setup for slide. Your playing has tweaked my interest again.

I guess a track from Brian would run a close second. LOL

I’ve settled on the right slide for me:

Super comfortable. I guess it’s a knock-off of the old Coricidin cold medicine bottle. Duane and most of the slide players used the old bottles back in the day.

1 Like

Makes good sense to play slide after an injury that makes it hard to fret the guitar. Looking forward to hearing others play some slide.

1 Like

Hey Clint, that’s a new one from you but I dig it! Really cool one, sort of reminded me of Seventeen Years track from Ratatat, sort of like chorus although I don’t think they played any slide guitar there, just similar vibe from it that’s all :smiley:

Btw did you see Justin’s lesson on slide? This was quite cool and he goes on about open tunings for slide guitar, I think more recently he has done a song lesson on slide guitar when he strained his finger but I can’t recall what song that was: Essential Slide Guitar Techniques | JustinGuitar.com

By fitting you mean fitting your finger, not guitar? As in that it didn’t go over the strings as smoothly as other slide you bought? Just so I am aware in the future I decide to fiddle with slide guitar what to do to avoid buying 5 of them :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @adi_mrok! I used open E tuning, which is kind of standard for old blues and classic rock. It can sound like the guitar is drunk on pineapple wine at times though. Was hoping that adding the fuzz pedal would make the tone appropriately raspy. LOL

The challenge was getting a slide that fit my finger and wasn’t super heavy. Now I have two ceramic, one metal, and two glass. This D’addario one is just right.

1 Like

Enjoyed that and the first slide I have heard on the forum, hope there will be more. I will check out Andy Aledort, thanks for that.

1 Like

@skinnyt, thanks! I’m sure someone has done some slide at some point, I just don’t recall it. I used my old Ovation for this track, which has sort of been in the planning stages for sometime. Finding a slide that actually worked for me was the stumbling block.

I know that @DavidP has a resonator, which would be a nice playground for such an exercise. I’m not sure that any of my electrics have a high enough action.

I’m sure that just about any slide tutorial in open E would bring some decent chops to the party.

Really sweet tone and vibe. I enjoyed it a lot. Nice insights about slide guitar in this thread too. My interest in slide guitar spiked recently after seeing Tedeschi Trucks Band. Derek Trucks is just out of this world. :exploding_head:

Btw, it’s also the first time I see a video with slide guitar here. :smiley:

Thanks @kamkor! Derek Trucks does a lot (if not all) of his slide work in open E. Give it a go. I was up and sawing in no time. LOL

Thanks, I will have to go to a guitar shop and buy a slide. :smiley:

1 Like

Clint, this was so good! I keep repeating myself but I really love how much you care about the tone even if it’s just a single take. Great stuff and post more slide guitar on here please :sunglasses:!

1 Like

Thanks @glpguitar! I used a fuzz pedal into an analog delay plugged into the front of a clean amp. I was shooting for fattening up the tone with some fuzzy raspiness. I appreciate the comment!

1 Like