Ride The Crimson Wave

Groovy. Slide sounds so unique. That tune made me think of entertainment by the pool sipping Pina Coladas on vacation.

1 Like

Clint that was great. I love slide guitar and what a fantastic groove it had to it.

1 Like

Thanks @jkahn! Slide guitar that isnā€™t classic rock or blues can sometimes bring forth the essence of pineapple. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @SgtColon ! I appreciate the listen and comment.

Another tasty exercise in far-away guitarland for this poor picker.
Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll ever go down the path of lead or slide guitar, but I sure do like that sound in an appropriate song.
I just watched a documentary on The Allman Brothers (song of the south), which dealt with how quickly Duane learnt it, but also mentioned that it sounds unbearable when folks start that journey.
Youā€™re well ahead of the posse, Mr. Tisher
Good stuff :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank @brianlarsen ! Canā€™t say that Iā€™m ahead of anything at this point. Just continuing to try and grab inspiration as it comes and expand the tool kit. I agree that a little bit of slide goes a long way. Another reason to keep tracks short and to the point.

Very cool Clint!
You hit the right notes to my ear as it was uplifting and tasty. Some of the better slide I have heard in a long time!

All the best and keep sliding along!
LB

1 Like

Very nice groove Clint, makes me wanna pick up the slide again :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are very kind @LBro ! The transition from A maj->Ab min->F#min->E maj got a little wobbly at times. Otherwise I felt marginal ā€œOKā€ with the rest of the progression. I appreciate the kind comment. :slight_smile:

@Sebastian_Dewulf-Ortega , thanks for the listen and comment. Letā€™s hear you play some slide!

1 Like

Pretty cool Clint nice share. Iā€™ve had a couple of brass slides for donkeyā€™s years but never used them in anger, so much so only one fits now ! just may give it a whirl one day after that demo. Nitless my friend !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks @TheMadman_tobyjenner! A bad fitting slide and a guitar with an action that isnā€™t super high is a non-starter for me. My old (bought it back in the 80ā€™s) Ovation has a brutally high action and some worn down frets, so itā€™s a dedicated slide guitar now. Glad I kept it around for that reason. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Leave it to the Justin-a-tor to have the best slide guitar lesson ever:

2 Likes

Wonderful stuff, Clint ā€¦ slide, the final frontier, these are the ā€¦ enough silliness.

I wondered if you had to do anything special action wise and see that it was already suitable.

I guess one could play slide on any open tuning effectively?

Open E would require tuning a couple of strings up in pitch rather than down which makes me feel a little anxious about potentially breaking a string; is that a risk one runs or generally unlikely?

And I have a slide as well. Just waiting for the day when I have sufficient control of both hands to give it a go ā€¦ maybe ā€˜goodā€™ enough already and something suitable for some holiday fun?

If you are into guitar and never checked out DT then one really ought to, and the TTB are fantastic.

Duane Allman another to seek out. His guitar playing on Layla (and other assorted love songs) is tremendous. Some say the finest recording of Claptonā€™s. Band named Derek and the Dominoes.

1 Like

Really great Clint, that was well played. I love seeing new techniques on this forum. I think you must be the first to play a slide AVoYP. Well done.
Youā€™re lucky you had an old guitar suitable for this technique as I reckon that could be the stumbling block for many of us.

A few years ago I was at a James Taylor concert and Bonnie Raitt was supporting him. She plays slide and was playing along with the rest of the band. I wonder how her (presumably) open tuning fitted in with that.

1 Like

Thanks @DavidP for the listen and the like!

This is my oldest guitar, an Ovation, that came with shims under the bridge, so raising and lowering the action is pretty straight forward. Very conducive to setting it up for slide. At its lowest point it is still too high for me for everyday/normal use. An acoustic is somewhat limiting and might necessitate the need for a new electric as a dedicated slide rig. Most likely an SG or Les Paul type of humbucker guitar.

Thereā€™s nothing keeping folks from playing slide in standard tuning, but if you want to get going quickly, I would suggest open tuning. It just so happens that most of the blues and rock players chose open E. The worse that can happen would be tuning up too quickly and snapping a string. No one should be intimidated by a string change. :slight_smile:

There are a lot of great slide players out there worth emulating. Duane is at the top of the list for sure, and Derek Trucks is king of the current players right now.

1 Like

Thanks @sairfingers ! The joy of not taking myself too seriously is that I can shamelessly start from square one and just let 'er rip (for better or worse). The tutorial with Justin and Ariel Posen above really covers the basics and challenges well, I would only add the recommendation to start in open E.

Bonnie Raitt is one of the best, she doesnā€™t get her due except in blues/rock circles. Sheā€™s a long time favorite of mine.

1 Like

Great man ! Love it !

1 Like

@BigLuc , thank you sir!

@sairfingers without meaning to be a cheeky so-'n-so ā€¦ the songs in a key with a given set of chords. I suppose as long as you know that and how to play the specific chords in your open tuning thereā€™d be no issue. And perhaps they adjust keys to make it more convenient.

I may be mistaken, but I think many blues songs are in Bb because saxophones are in that key. I think. And unlike harmonicas that are made in all keys, I think that is not the case with a sax. So the sax player either left with some transposing if the blues is in A or the rest play in Bb, which is ā€˜no issueā€™ on the guitar and piano.