Ride The Crimson Wave

The thing I don’t quite understand about slide is if you are tuned to for example open E, the slide then covers all the strings. That surely gives you a limited range of chords as you go up the neck, sharp, flat etc.

I should look at the Ariel Posen lesson above that @CT suggested and try to get a better understanding of the process.

You are correct in that as you move up the neck you will get the progression of chords F, F#, G etc. But you also have the option to make other shapes, I think, but not sure if you can do that with a slide. What happens if you fret notes between the slide and the nut? Maybe I should look at the tutorial as well … blind talking with the blind here :laughing:

You would be able to play individual notes to play arpeggios and perhaps double stops?

1 Like

Not really, all the major chords are there and they repeat at the 12th fret as they do with standard tuning. Minor chords are more of a challenge with open tuning, as some fingering is required, which is why I-IV-V major blues progressions are huge with slide guitar.

1 Like

Good question Gordon but my understanding most is in Open tuning

Open E ie E-B-E-G♯-B-E would give you 1 5 1 3 5 1 and that would repeat up the neck for the Major chords, the thickest 3 strings would give you a power chord that could imply a minor or you could stretch up 3 frets with a finger on the 4th string to play the b3 and mute the 3 on the G string. Or play the b3 on the E strings and somehow mute the 3 which don’t seem easy !!

The other Keys would give a similar 1 3 5 combo across the neck and you need to find that b3 elsewhere for minor chords. Nightmare.

Clint may explain as I am only working out possibilities in my head ! :exploding_head:

1 Like

Hi Clint,

I’ve always liked slide guitar - was toying with getting a resonator and trying to learn to play some slide - then remembered how lazy I am. :slight_smile:

Loved this.
Very cheery on a somewhat grey day.

Digger

Good point! Bar 2 or 3 of the thickest strings to make a power chord. Otherwise you have to flatten the 3rd to make a minor chord.

2 Likes

Thanks @Digger72 , I appreciate the kind words!