Rmking60 - January 2024 - Heroes - David Bowie + One More Try - George Michael + Harvest Moon - Neil Young

What’s your camera angle? I was saved by a Hero.

I was looking up, my Hero was looking right at me!

6 Likes

Hello Robert,
that’s a very enjoyable rendition. Absolutely recognizable :+1: :clap:. I like the changing strumming patterns. Suited the song well. The camera angle, was a bit unusual, but it would have been interesting to see your fretting hand, too.
Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

1 Like

that was pretty good the thing about music is that you can put you own spin on it.keep up the good work.

1 Like

NicoleKKB Thank you for your comments! I’m an amature, so the camera angle was me trying to offset the popularity of such an iconic song. Plus I used my throw away Goodwill guitar. Very nice to read your views and suggestion for also capturing the grips. _R

1 Like

Love the camera angle! I’m working on this song right now, and I can say that I’m just going to throw my guitar down the stairs after hearing your version. THANKS.

Just kidding, I enjoyed what you did, and will be posting mine soon.

1 Like

Can’t wait! Bring it, but know that was just my beater version of it. …just know you can make it your own even though master musicians made it; it can be yours too. _R

1 Like

Thanks for your vote of confidence! Where can I hear you music?

Robert! That was fabulous, and inspiring! I love everything - your vocal interpretation, your strumming pattern…all of it. This is coming from an very strong Bowie fan. I’ve been working on Heroes too, but haven’t gotten much past being able to strum eighth notes. You’ve set a high bar, sir.

Michael @WonderMonkey, I’m looking forward to seeing your version as well!

1 Like

Judi, your response makes me happy. I’d love to experience your version! Ok, lay it down! Thank you for saying and, yes, come on…record Heroes from your viewpoint. Have fun, because David, I think, thought it was for fun!

So I watched your “early” The Gambler and Last Kiss vids. You have it, so keep at it because when you feel free, your music will show. What you see in my Heros vid is me showing, of course, flubing early on struming, but then throwing all to the wind and getting into it… playing it my way, letting go…which lets the performance open up and not only be comfortable but sound better. It’s difficult when you are learning and also trying to perform. Me, I wish I had some training but at the same time why not be free with my own take? Music must be from the heart first. _R

1 Like

Is it difficult to strum and sing. Stop looking at the chords you have mastered, play on, play through, and now start singing. It will be expressive and actually feel just fine …

Like this:

5 Likes

I love that song. The entire album actually (mostly), but that song especially. This would be a difficult song to play and sing and I think you did a great job.

1 Like

I really liked that, Robert. I’ve looked at doing quite a few of GM’s songs and none of them seem easy at all. I thought you did a nice job with this one.

1 Like

Thanks for the vote of confidence. That was just the last third of the song. It had two chords that were new to me and a few chords that I used different positions for to set up the next chord. Fun to play overall.

Thank you for the support. When playing the whole song, I drop the tuning a half step for easier singing. Overall a fun song to learn and then practice rephrasing with different ways to grip some of the chords.

1 Like

I enjoyed that Robert, well done.

1 Like

I really liked that Robert. Nice relaxed strumming and I thought you sang really well, very expressively, delivering the emotional feel of the song. Well done :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Very kind comments! I appreciate the motivation.!

Neil Young might approve of my slide show, but my playing and singing not to par. I love this song for its meaning both for my Dad rip at 97 1/2 to the day and my two estranged sons who play music so much better that I ever will…keep playing friends _R

2 Likes

Oh… that sounded real great!
I think Neil Young would approve this, i could easily pick this out as an Neil Young song just by the tone in youre voice. Sounded awsome. Well done :clap::raised_hands:t2:

1 Like