Robs Learning Log

So the new seat isnt quite right so will need some modifications, ah well…

It seems I am taking part in some consolidation also, spent a couple hours strumming away to Heroes, Hey Jo and 4 non blonds last night (this time on the electric).

Really cant wait for the new LP the current one needs a serious work over.

Hey Rob what a wonderful diary you have going here.

Not sure why it slipped my radar but just enjoyed catching up, On the lesson front you seem to be making good progress, On the GAS front you have it bad but bad is good in my book. Lovely purple Crafter acoustic but hey why not look for another, its not like your cheating. Well you are as you got that Epi !! Now if someone said to me “I have this green LP” it would have been hand over mouth chuckle time.

Mutley laughing-laugh

But having seen yours, wow that is cucumber cool. Really sweet. That is a lovely looking piece of kit. Guard it well, well until the GAS starts to bubble again. :smiley:

Keep the reports coming, its an entertaining read !

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Cheers Toby!

Mebe I am just odd on my guitar preferences haha, everyone will be going for the gold top or straight maple etc. or complaining about the pickups it seems, lots hung up on superficial things instead of sound/build/playability.

On the GAS front this is my first new guitar in 20+ years so I am not doing bad right?

I do need an amp, something small and versatile instead of the monster cab I had before. Thinking about a Spark 40 but will be later in the year.

Quite happy how the playing is coming along, still not back to where I was but I can see getting there soonish and hopefully jumping past pretty quickly.

Proper photos of all 3 guitars to be done at the weekend I think…

1 Like

Cool, looking forward to seeing them. :sunglasses:

So I now have (Positive grid) Bias FX 2 so spent the evening trying out some of the built in tones, then downloaded a few custom ones (Slash, Metallica, Dave Gilmore) then proceeded to play though the first bit of comfortably numb solo for the rest of the night.

I’m impressed with the sound, ok through a pc and headphones, but it seems spot on to me.

Oh busy writing a song too, a silly little thing but its fun, probably not for public consumption haha

1 Like

Well I got the new Les Paul!! Wow it plays like a dream too. Good weight love the feel of the neck, strap locks are awesome and the new strap is :open_mouth:

Here it is with its friends

Also got a stand so it can live in the office ready to play

4 Likes

A lovely collection Rob.

1 Like

Dude’s got two green LPs now-
One epic Slash :sunglasses:
and one envious Hohner :nauseated_face:
That’s a spectacular contrast with the red case lining!
Happy NGD

1 Like

Love it Rob. Your collection is growing. Many more vibrant colours in the rainbow that you need in your collection, perhaps on a strat, a tele, a hollow body :laughing:

1 Like

Sweeet ! And I bet they sound great, too.

1 Like

I like your thinking!

Perhaps not the strat tho

1 Like

So unsurprisingly a lot of playing yesterday…

No lessons or indeed consolidation as such, but continued to learn the Comfortably Numb lead sections and also relearn the (correct this time) stairway to heaven intro for some nice fingerpicking practice

2 Likes

They look awesome! Enjoy :grinning: Beautifully photographed as well! :slightly_smiling_face: I loved the earlier photos you shared - we visited friends in Christchurch just over 6 years ago and it brought back memories of travelling round especially Lake Wanaka and Lake Tekapo.

1 Like

ooh love Tekapo just a couple hours down the road too!

5 Likes

Love the vividness of the colours. Beautiful landscape composition.

Is saturation the right word?

If so, it’s a cross-over word, from photography to music :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It has some colour for sure but mostly natural, I work hard at being in the right place at the right time, this took over a year to plan/shoot!

Tekapo looks like it’s had the saturation slider set to max on a good day

2 Likes

Much like learning guitar, I think people have little idea as to what it takes to get a magnificent photograph.

1 Like

Yep both take a lot of work to master, Guitar more coordination for sure but I think the level of skill and knowledge is similar in almost any aspect.

Though I won an award for a shot that was literally a walk in the park haha

2 Likes

Played though some grade 2 lessons , stuck 3/4 chords etc last night, all good.

Fingering is ok for now for where I am at but I need to work on my strumming.

Might order one of Justins music books, the rock tracks, just for a reference

Also ordered a replacement preamp for the crafter as the one in it is dead, took it apart couldnt see any obvious issues. Once thats fixed I’ll strip down the Hohner and get that ship shape and practice some minor luthier skills on it. Once done I guess I can leave it in drop 3 tuning or something see what songs I am playing with then

1 Like

Well still going on the early modules of Grade 2, still working on strumming.

But spent yesterday learning Babe I’m gonna leave you by Zep on the acoustic.

A fingering challenge and my fingertips are trashed after an hour, wish I could play for longer at the moment.

2 Likes