RonG - July 2022 - Green Day, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Neil Young & more

Thank you :smiley:

Brilliant stuff Ron. I think you got the guitar fx spot on for this one and I love the sound of the guitar you used. What is it you’re playing? Was there some pedal working going on there as well?

1 Like

Thank you Stefan.
The guitar I am playing is a Maton Messiah 100C.
It is a beautiful guitar. Maton are an Australian company. They build Tommy Emmanuel’s guitars for him.
The pickup, pre amp system in this guitar is an AP5 pro designed by Maton for Tommy. It has individual piezo’s under the bridge for each string and a microphone as well.
I use 100% piezo and about 69-70% mic in my mix. All the other guitar eq, base, mid and treb are center.
I am also using a Zoom multi FX processor with my own design fx setup.
And finally it all goes into my Fishman Loudbox Artist acoustic amp. I then take the mix DI out of the amp into my Focusriite Scarlet 2i2.
The final bit is the scarlet into my iPad Pro where I record my video and do some final fx tweaking in an App called “impact”.
Cheers
Ron

1 Like

Cool. I added this song a few months ago - it is not as easy to sing as it would be seem. Good job

1 Like

Hi DJ,
Thanks for the feedback.
You are right about it being a challenge to sing.
Glad you liked it.
I will go back and have a listen you yours.
Cheers
Ron

Hi fellow Justineer’s,
I did this cover about 18 months ago.
I was inspired by a Justin lesson and gave it a go.
I just saw Justin’s latest lesson on From Hank to Hendricks and I thought I would also give that a go soon.
But I thought I’ll post this one first for the community to see and comment, and then we can do a comparison to From Hank to Hendricks when I post that to see if my harp playing has improved. :rofl::joy:
Anyway, I hope you enjoy my take in this Neil Young classic.
Cheers
Ron

6 Likes

As one of the big Neil Young lovers here, I really enjoyed that, Ron.

This was either a totally dry recording or much lighter touch with the fx. On balance I’d lean more towards this sound than some of the other recent recordings with a far more wet sound on both guitar and vocal. Of course that is taste. If totally dry here then maybe try adding a wee bit of reverb and delay to see if it sounds better, while not getting to the levels of the recent shares.

Harp playing sounding pretty good to me. As said before, I’d be a happy camper if you were the entertainment in a restaurant where I was enjoying a long lunch with the family.

1 Like

I don’t know the song but I enjoyed it, very nicely done once again Ron. Loved the harmonica.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with your harp playing Ron. That was terrific.

1 Like

Hi Ron,
That was great, :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet: and I agree with the comments above… :wink:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi David,
Thank you. The song was recorded a lot flatter than I do now.
I actually don’t like how flat it is. As you say, personal choice.
Thanks for the kind words on my harp playing. It was a bit jerky to my mind and I hope to improve with time.
Also thank you for your very encouraging words that you would love to hear me playing at a restaurant as the entertainment. Wow, high praise indeed. :smiley:
Cheers
Ron

1 Like

Hi Stefan,
Justin did a lesson grade 4 back the song back in 2920 I think.
I am a Neil Young tragic so I had to give it a go.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Cheers
Ron

Hi Gordon,
Thank you so much.
Glad you enjoyed it also.
Cheers
Ron

Thank you Rogier,
I appreciate your encouraging feedback.
Cheers
Ron

Never heard of this song before, but enjoyed this very much. You are multitalented.

1 Like

Thank you Sandy. :smiley:

Hi Justineer’s,
I did this cover today. It was fun. What a great song.
I really encourage others to give it a go as everyone loves singing along with this one.
All and any feedback most welcome. :smiley::guitar:
Cheers
Ron

10 Likes

Very nice, fresh and easy to listen too. Enjoyed your finger work and vox. Good voice control. You have a nice tone on the guitar too, seems nice and bright, like new strings day. Doubled up vocals came out good and added a nice touch.

Keep up the good vibe and production,
LB

1 Like

Hey that’s awesome. Very well done. I added that song to my repertoire recently and it gets a great reaction from the audience for sure.

1 Like

Great song and I enjoyed your cover. I like how you played the riff using D-shape triads, I’m going to check that out.

1 Like