Sairfingers’ Learning Log

Maybe though that then means playing the Trio through the aux input with that cunning combination of cables to link output of Trio to amp aux in … I think. With that in mind maybe a multi-fx to put in front of the Trio so the amp can be clean so as not to colour the bass and drums.

Sorry Gordon … don’t mind us.

Of course. I almost put a bet out when I wrote that that it would be your good self putting me out of my mystery … how apt it was.

1 Like

I think you might be immune to GAS because you have a Martin D28 & Gibson SG. Who needs more! Pretty sweet setup.

3 Likes

Hi Gordon,
Why haven’t I read this yet??? thought I had read your diary on the old forum…Uh… Roadcase/LearningLog…but I would have remembered Zere vinger :joy:.
Great to read everything, really enjoyed it :sunglasses:…and as for paper and pen,…I just don’t take a picture of my work table without first cleaning up and then you see piles of paper, I’m not without it at all pen and paper…
Have fun and I look forward to your updates, :milk_glass:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

I thought I’d add an update link to a couple of my recent posts to remind me of another chapter in my guitar voyage.

My new chair arrived today

New chair, now I need a strap!

5 Likes

I missed the second installment to procure the strap, Gordon … looks great. Now we wait for a video of you playing a song from the new chair. :grin:

1 Like

Well I finally succumbed to GAS so thought I’d better link my LL to the relevant post.

NGD - Travel guitar

5 Likes

New guitar sounded pretty good, Gordon, and that is quite a set of recordings you have.

It might be interesting for you to repeat that and record a rendition with the Martin. Would be interesting to hear the difference. You could add the second recording to the topic, if you feel inclined.

1 Like

@DavidP
It wouldn’t really be a fair comparison David. The guitars are at different ends of the spectrum price wise.
The PRS will serve a purpose. It’s a guitar I’ll be able to take out and about and not worry about it getting damaged. Having said that, I’m impressed by the PRS’s tone and build quality.

I get that but am wondering just how big that difference might be. Might be interesting for people considering an acoustic purchase, encourage them to be open-minded and try lots of options.

1 Like

Chapter 8

It’s the 11th February again and today is my 5th guitaraversary. Another one bites the dust. I’ve just looked back at my post from this date last year and realise I could pretty much cut and paste those comments again this year.

The things I’m working on and the things I want to do in the future remain the same.
Does that mean I haven’t achieved anything this year? I tell myself no, of course not. Guitar is a long term learning project and I’ll be saying the same thing this time next year. I’m travelling the long bumpy road that I mentioned last time but still enjoying the ride. My only regret is that with the passing years the ability to use the excuse of “I’ve only been playing a short while” becomes less viable!

I did pause for thought the other day when I read a piece in Justin’s latest email newsletter where he talks about his martial arts training.
“….and really focus on that - much like a musician with limited time would be best off learning one style well than many badly”.
He can’t be thinking about me! I’ve got lots of time left. :wink: I’ve said many times that I spread my practise time thinly over too many styles.

In the past year I’ve posted 9 AVoYPs including a couple of fooling around with Layla improvs. I also had some ‘sidebar’ conversations about improv videos with some other members (you know who you are.) All good fun and very informative. I’m certainly not as prolific as some others and in the main I try to post songs that demonstrate a new style, skill, technique or whatever. The AVoYP section is so busy now. I’ll continue with that approach rather than “here’s another song I’ve learned, hope you like it”. Much has been said recently on the site about the AVoYP section and I know things are changing/being reviewed there.

I like the ability to store links to my song videos in my LL and being able to re-read the comments others have made. The ability to look back occasionally at them down the line and (hopefully) see/hear improvement is so useful. And of course receiving feedback, advice and encouragement and giving the same back to others is key. Simply storing song videos on YouTube is too sterile.

Those who read my posts will know that this past year saw me succumb to GAS. A new chair and more importantly a ‘travel sized’ guitar. There are links earlier in my LL about those so I’ll not repeat myself.
Although I bought the PRS parlour acoustic primarily as a guitar to take out and about without worry, it’s sound does suit blues fingerstyle so I’ll try to do a bit more of that this year. There I go spreading myself thinly again. :smile:

I’ve tried not to repeat things here but what I will repeat is a big thank-you to Justin and his team for the terrific lessons and to all the Community members who have listened to and commented on my AVoYPs and who’ve gone out of their way to answer my queries on various subjects with advice/opinions.
2022 was the first full year of the new Community and like the Forum that preceded it, it truly is a uniquely supportive and friendly place.
Thank you all.

19 Likes

Many happy returns, Gordon.

You could be writing updates for me :rofl:

The Community would not be the same without your comments, questions, wit, and of course the songs you share.

Keep playing, keep having fun, and I look forward to another year with you.

1 Like

Happy fifth JGversary, Gordon. A very well written and thought out update. Keep doing what your doing and may your sixth year be even more fun and rewarding.

2 Likes

Good God, Gordon! Have we been whittering away here for half a decade already? :exploding_head:
I’d go back and read what you wrote last year, except I feel I have a pretty good handle on where you’re coming from and where you’re at.
We all know where you’re going :rofl:
As I have the advantage of immaturity, I shall continue to release all sorts of rubbish as it pops into my head, but sure you’ve noticed that already this morning :wink:
On a serious note, Justin is quite correct that if you want to excel at something, it’s best to focus on that single thing. I have found throughout my life that I get the most pleasure out of trying to get as many different experiences as possible and probably prefer being a jack of many trades, mastering none :thinking: Whatever floats your boat.

4 Likes

Happy guitaraversary Gordon! It’s interesting how we perceive our guitar playing vs how others do. I see you as a really good player who adds some nice little embellishments to make the song interesting, who sings well, and who does a wonderful job of managing any red light recording fever (demonstrated by your many one take recordings). I also see that you’re dabbling in improv. That seems more niche-like than scattered too widely, but regardless as long as you’re having fun than you’re doing great. Enjoy the next year! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Happy guitar aneversary Gordon :partying_face: :sunglasses:

I’ll focus on everything a little bit :roll_eyes: :smile:

Greetings and I wish you an amazings new year …the year that you become 69 (fot the second time :smile:)

1 Like

Haha thanks Mari. I don’t suffer from red light fever when it’s only me and my phone. Now, if I was to put myself forward for an OM that would be an entirely different matter. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Happy guitaraversary Gordon! Really like watching your AVOYP, looking forward to what’s to come in year 6. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Brian. Occasionally I feel I need a bigger horsepower engine on my boat to get me to where I want to be quicker. :smile:

1 Like

You’ve come a long way in 5 years Gordon and it shows in you’re videos. I really enjoy them so keep them coming.

1 Like

Two beautiful guitars there Gordon :ok_hand:

1 Like