Sairfingers’ Learning Log

What a great learning log. Great writing and your organization skill is something we should all strive for. Just a guess, but your organization skill is probably the super power that got you playing so well in just a few years.

Your list of songs has a considerable overlap with the songs I’ve tried over the years. If fact it seemed a bit uncanny. Four Strong Winds and I’m looking through you are not on many people’s lists, but they are on mine. Bunch of others too. I was hoping the Layla song was the one from Unplugged (I like playing that one too) but the link appears to be broken.

Ramblings in Dm sounded so great. Very musical, great rhythm and tone.

Finally, some equipment overlap: D-28 and an electric. I have a Strat style electric, but we do share a Katana 50.

Your progress and ability to share are aspirational. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks so much for wading your way through my LL Mitch. Much appreciated.
Regarding our overlapping song choices/tastes. I’m a bit stuck in the 60s/70s as those are the songs of my youth. I’m guessing you may be the same vintage as me. :smiley:
As for any organisational skills, you’re giving me undue credit. I’m a bit “what’ll I do today” I’m afraid. :smile: There is an overall plan I suppose but nothing like some others in the Community who have it all planned out and recorded in spreadsheets and suchlike.
So we share the same model acoustic too! Yes I enjoy playing my D28, SG and my PRS parlour although to be honest the SG has been neglected recently.
If I’ve inspired you in any way that’s terrific. I’ve been inspired by many others here so as Justin says “pay it forward”.

1 Like

Hi Gordon, I’m happy to read you succeed in your video editing attempt and I’m also happy to read the Da Vinci software turned out to be intuitive as one day or the other I’ll want to try it out. Jeff mentioned and reccomended it to me as well.

1 Like

I only briefly stuck my head in the hole Michael! :smiley:

2 Likes

And got more than a :rabbit2:

No need for you to compete as the content of your posts have always been great but good to see you taking that leap into video production. Now when are you getting that DAW? :wink:

1 Like

Well, the long dark nights are looming so I thought I’d try learning a couple of ‘techie’ things.

The first one is to create a digital song book. I’ve been following a discussion here so I’ve downloaded Songbook Pro onto my iPad. Up until now I’ve transcribed songs by ear (as best I can) then written them out by hand or used Ultimate Guitar tabs and printed them out. This of course results in lots of sheets of paper. I like sheets of paper but feel I should be moving with the times. :grin: Anyway I’ll give it a go and see how I get on.

The second one is to give the built into my iPad GarageBand DAW a go. I’ve looked at this before and not got anywhere with it. At the moment I can’t work out how to plug my guitar into my iPad! There is a load of tutorial stuff on the internet of course, but I’ve yet to find something that is at my non existant level of knowledge. But as I said, the long dark nights loom so……….

3 Likes

Good to hear you’re getting all techie for the dark nights.

If I recall correctly people either use the i-rig or apogee jam to connect their guitars to their ipads. Focusrite have also got an interface unit too. Lots of options. @Majik could probably give you a better view on which would be best for you if you haven’t got one already.

1 Like

Sorry, I have no view of iPad or iOS audio devices, as I don’t own or use them (except for occasional testing).

I would suspect that audio interfaces for that platform are much of a muchness: if they are listed as working with iPad then they probably all work equally as well. Bear in mind that any “class compliant” audio interface should work with most phones and tablets these days.

(A “class-compliant” audio device is one that follows the USB specifications precisely and doesn’t need drivers as it can use the standard USB audio driver built into the device)

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Gordon, for this you need a USB powered hub, something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08ZKSK6MB/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_plhdr=t&aaxitk=11e8f317bd95112f9295202b632894e5&hsa_cr_id=4648050470002&qid=1695984014&sr=1-2-e0fa1fdd-d857-4087-adda-5bd576b25987&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_1_title&pd_rd_w=NftXO&content-id=amzn1.sym.25f7c301-a223-4ff8-91c9-accfeab9fda8%3Aamzn1.sym.25f7c301-a223-4ff8-91c9-accfeab9fda8&pf_rd_p=25f7c301-a223-4ff8-91c9-accfeab9fda8&pf_rd_r=7WP63TQGXT1C5M9DKJCB&pd_rd_wg=bxpot&pd_rd_r=5c908116-58e7-4db6-87e1-7dc04284294c

And also an apple connector, there are much cheaper non apple versions but I’d recommend you stick with apple.

The above has a lighting connector for an ipad, you’ll need a different version if you have an iPad with USBC.

2 Likes

@sairfingers this shows you all you need to know, as above make sure your apple adaptor is Usbc or lightning as appropriate.

2 Likes

Thanks for that very clear video Greg. I’m tentatively peeping into this rabbit hole. :smile:

2 Likes

Can I smell GAS :grin:

2 Likes

If you need a sponsor to call upon, I’m available :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Brian. Problem is I’m acutely aware of all the hundreds of posts and questions in the forum to do with DAWs, AIs, volume levels, recording techniques etc etc. I’m not really sure I want to start this just to post a slightly better quality sounding AVoYP. :woozy_face:

And your AVOYPs are generally pretty good as is, Gordon, both guitar tone and guitar-vocal balance. I think the only situation where it could be better is when you use the Trio and (maybe) the electric guitar as accompaniment.

1 Like

Don`t do it for that !!! You sound good :sunglasses: …or :sweat_smile:

No really don`t :smile:

Greetings,

1 Like

That got me thinking on whether something like a Roland Go Mixer would be a better fit to just mix the inputs directly into the recording phone and not have to delve into using any software other than his video editing software.

2 Likes

@Socio Wow, James, that sure is a neat bit of kit. Does seem worth looking at for people who make recordings with a phone or tablet but want to upgrade from using the phone mic as a room mic and don’t want to worry about interfaces and figuring out routing and working with audio inputs on the phone. Impressed to see it has phantom power on an XLR input so will work with condensor mics.

2 Likes

@DavidP here is a demo video of the much older model given you a comparison of recording directly from iPhone and via the mixer playing over a backing track. In the older model you had to play the backing track via another device but looking at this video you can play over a track being played on the recording phone on the newer model. For some reason I get the impression that Gordon would prefer a simplistic option where he can just plug, play and record particularly improvising over a backing track on his electric.

2 Likes

Gosh, If I hadn’t asked Santa for a better webcam and usb mic for Christmas, I would seriously look into going down this route. The simplicity and compactness of it is soooo appealing to me :open_mouth:
Now, can anyone tell me why I’m wasting time looking at improved recording methods for Gordon, when I should be practicing my song for tonight’s OM? :rofl:

4 Likes