Sandman - America + Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead + The Weight- The Band (covers) aka. Feb Thread

Nice one Brian, that was cool! :sunglasses::+1:
However… I am astounded that I hadn’t come across the Trio+ until now… How have I never heard of that?! :man_shrugging::exploding_head: :joy: Just checked out some vids on it and looks like a really versatile pedal, even for metal… There’s always something more to buy eh?! :money_with_wings: :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

Hi, Brian. Honestly, you never fail to entertain! You seem to have a
simplistic way to perform that draws one in. And I mean that in the best sense of the word. Your use of the Trio enhances but doesn’t overpower your performance, and I liked the use of it in this one particularly. Way to use that twang bar, too. And your Claptonese attire is perfect :joy:

1 Like

Hello Brian, I’m coming late to the show (as so often :face_with_peeking_eye:) - but better late than never :slightly_smiling_face:.
I don’t think, I’ve heard this song before - therefore, thanks a lot for introducing to me :hugs:.
This was such a wonderful performance. I particularly love the dynamics of your strumming and singing. And the smile at the end of the recording :grinning:.
You appear to be a born entertainer. It’s always a pleasure watching your videos :smiley:.

1 Like

Very nice Brian! I’m now confused over whether I remember this song or whether you’ve planted a false memory. Either way - great performance!

1 Like

@nzmetal Cheers Jeff :smiley:
I don’t really do pedals, but love the Trio+ for the uses above. It’s also a really handy tool for the small family/friends projects I do, as I can just program the basic song structure and send it to everyone so we’re singing off ‘the same hymn sheet’ :smiley:
You may or may not have gathered by now that I tend to be a ‘dark ballad’ guy, but now that you mention it, maybe I should pause on the ‘metal’ setting one day, instead of flicking past it :thinking: :laughing:

@oldhead49 Much appreciated Old Man :smiley:
I sometimes find it hard to believe we are both learning the same instrument, using the same teachers :roll_eyes: :laughing:
… and yet, the love of what we do and the appreciation of those that share our experiences makes perfect sense when you look at Justin and his disciples :wink:
My ‘Claptonese attire’ is the manifestation of a cold house, due to my frugality coupled with my wife’s desire to save the planet by not heating the atmosphere… Roll on the summer when I can expose my white Ts again :rofl:

@NicoleKKB
Haha, I don’t think you can count the same day as being ‘late to the show’ :rofl:
Much appreciate you listening and commenting. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I think you mentioned in a different thread that you found playing and singing difficult? I just went back and had another listen to your Christmas song and thought you did a wonderful job. (many find picking + singing even harder). Are you going to share again soon? :wink:

@twistor59 Thanks Phil :smiley:
I’m pretty sure most of my memories are ‘false’…
Nobody could lead as happy a life as this :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Another mighty fine performance Brian. I’m not familiar with the song, so once again, you have introduced me as so often to something new. Lot’s of great feedback from the community.

You could always take the lenses out of them to make Rogier happy :wink:

Talking to you and pretending that Brian never reads this… He has a smarter expression with…Oo crxp just over again… I met him with glasses and that looks good on him, and when that is good it is difficult to adjust for me a long time…but B keeps his sweet face/looks :sweat_smile: (with my brother it took years :grimacing:,but I new him 40 years when he make the switch :wink:)…it’s just like a bit with my wife (very dangerous terrain now and don’t insinuate anything please)…when I fell in love with her almost 26 years ago she still wears glasses now,when laser eye surgery became popular a few years ago she asked if I would like it with her too…someone who always wears glasses you can tell when they are no longer definitely the first months… But I’ll get used to that new Santa face though,…so no fake glasses please :scream:…wig/dress/high heels yes please :laughing:
What a strange long story :grimacing: … I’ll just stop, I’m on the road this afternoon and have other things to do, bring somebody to his last resort … but luckily 94 years old and a rich (metaphorically) and happy life ( today especialy worth mentioning that it can also go super well with some humans) :sunflower:
Greetings…

1 Like

Love it. Well done :clap::clap::clap:

Hello Brian, as there had already been so many comments to your post, I was absolutely certain to have overlooked it. But you’re right, I wasn’t actually late - the amount of comments was due to your popularity and your outstanding performing skills :slightly_smiling_face:.

Yes, fingerpicking doesn’t make the singing easier. But I like the combination so much. The dark side of this love is, that it takes ages before I’ve learned a new song to a decent performance level. Right now I’m working on 3 different songs. So till March, probably there might be one, I feel confident enough to post a AVOYP or even perform at an OM :hugs:.

1 Like

Oooh great idea! :smiley::+1:

Do it!! :metal::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sweat_smile:

@Socio Cheers, James, much appreciated
New’? Sure, you’re just too young to remember :laughing:

@roger_holland You knew Burt?!? :open_mouth:
Just kidding, I hope you gave the remains a good send off and you had a meaningful experience.

Regarding the visuals, I know exactly what you mean. About 20 years ago I got tired of having to choose a new set of frames every year, performing the vanity fashion show for myself, trying to identify which ones made me look the ‘coolest’ :roll_eyes:
I was always attracted to the look of 1950/60s dark rimmed glasses in American films, did a quick google search and found the company. I’ve been ordering the same ones ever since. (A positive spinoff is that if something breaks, I often can cannibalise an old pair for spare parts :smiley:). A new set arrived last week which I’m hoping to put varifocal reading glasses in, as it’s a bit of a pain in the ass to keep putting on glasses to read what the plebs are writing on my threads… :wink:
Normal visual service will hopefully return to normal in a couple of weeks.

@RonG Cheers Ron, much appreciated :smiley:

Sorry, is this Nike or Satan speaking? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@NicoleKKB Hi Nicole and thank you for your response :smiley:
For me, the social interaction of playing guitar is of similar importance to the musical/intellectual joy it brings (family, friends and here). My home life provides me with the opportunity to indulge, so I am often more active on this forum than most. (I’m sure that will change but I’m enjoying it for now.) As almost all commentary here is positive, volume can appear equal to popularity :wink:

This song was primarily a fun response to Rene’s wonderful nameless nag but garnered a glut of (very welcome) commentary.
Regarding performance skills, I’m aware of how, lets say, ‘slowly’ my technical proficiency progresses. I’m lazy, and discovered that focusing on presentation/delivery esp. when combined with singing, distracts attention from my actual guitar playing. That’s fine (for the time being)

One bit of advice I would give you is not to try and get things perfect before you share. You are an active member of the community and people are naturally curious about what others are up to. This is a learning forum, not a showcase. I have yet to hear something here that I would go out and buy if I didn’t know the performer. The more you practice performing and sharing the better you become.

Yeah, I find even simple fingerpicking very difficult.
In that spirit (and also not to clog up AVOYP and attract even more attention :rofl:) I shall share a ‘not quite cooked’ piece I’ve been working on for a while now. One day I’ll nail the original! :sunglasses:
Alles Gute x

10 Likes

@brianlarsen
Hi Brian. Practise what you preach and get this over onto AVoYP. You know you really crave the attention that it’s due. :smiley:

I thought that was great. I find fingerstyle on electric really difficult as you get lots of amplified unwanted string noise.
Well done.

That was some sound advice that you gave in your last post :ok_hand:

For a ‘not quite cooked’ piece that has a recipe for something very tasty when it’s ready to be served. Though, I don’t think there is much cooking time left, it’s sounding really good already.

My wife who is upstairs figuring out what to wear for a party later… well, a varied weekend… just shouted from above “everything okay?” I laughed so hard twice with je reactions :see_no_evil: :joy:

Good luck with the vari :smiley: and my wife …recently got her regular glasses with vari and
soon computer glasses and sunglasses also with varifocus :money_with_wings:…that are some nice guitars if… :speak_no_evil:…luckily it’s all possible :sweat_smile:

I can’t wait for it to be completely finished, because you’re already doing a great job on that fingerstyle song…

Greetings from …Uhh What Ple…??? mmm, well and have a fantastic day… :sunglasses:

Ad Nr. 1) I know, after 3 days, the train already has left the station, but an advantage of being late is, that everything positive already has been said, so I can keep it short: :+1: :+1: :+1: for the song selection/interpretation/playing and singing. So that hopefully saves you from

:joy:
Ad Nr. 2) If this is a draft - hallelujah! What do we have to expect when it’s finished? Fingerpicking on electric - not as easy as it seems, but well done as always. Greetings from the Alps! :aerial_tramway:

1 Like

Haha, once I’ve tested the boundaries, I tend to play by the rules, Gordon :laughing:
I took the liberty of altering the thread title to comply with this month’s ration booklet.

Make it your friend. Add lots of echo/delay and reverb. Every note louder and longer than the last :rofl:

My disciples know where to find me :wink:

@Socio Cheers, James :+1:

@roger_holland Haha, you may have to wait a while. Whenever I record something, it’s as if the valve is released on a pressure cooker and all desire of further work on it disappears. The good news is that I invariably come back to my songs at a later stage in the hope they will be easier :rofl:
I’m slightly concerned that, as my most fanatical facial admirer, you missed the slight drooping of my right upper lip. I had just returned from having a broken tooth repaired at the dentist and the anesthetic had not yet worn off. I thought a great big drool was going to smudge all my beautiful guitar artwork :laughing:

@Helen0609 Alle drei Daumen?!? :open_mouth: Wow… thank you!
I’m afraid there’s a long way to go. Do you know the original? It’s quite beautiful. The video too. Johnny Greenwood’s fingerpicking sounds achievable, but more complicated than the simple arpeggio I play. Sometimes I feel like a ‘Wegweiser’ pointing towards greatness :roll_eyes: :laughing:

2 Likes

Hi,
I completely understand that if you have recorded something and the pressure cooker :smile: … And if you start tapping about something with your face a drooping lip I shock … I’ve experienced that myself :scream: …but luckily I read about your tooth
but due to a malfunction here there was 3 or 5 minutes in between, I’ve had 20 years of nagging with that root canal treatments and much more are now happily a thing of the past…so a pat on the head and on again :sweat_smile:
Funny but now looked a 2nd time and then with that knowledge of just a treatment and looking for leakage :smile: it looks very different and you don’t look as comfortable as usual :pensive:
By now you`r probably fine :sunglasses:
Now I’m done listening to music, tired of tapped (I think) and going to the garden :sunglasses: so bye :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think you need to add a link to each new song in your first post otherwise people don’t know you’ve added a new song to the thread.
(assuming of course you want the adulation of your disciples).

1 Like

Wow, that was a lot to take in on this feed. All great. I really liked your vocals melding in on “Street Spirit” especially where you were singing the lyrics about “fading”. It melded with an instrument in the background I couldn’t identify. An organ maybe, or a soft- sounding harmonica? Was that part of your Trio+ Backing Track?

Anyway, all were great to listen to.

Hi Brian my friend, your performances are always great :slight_smile: I really enjoy watching your videos, be sure to keep up the good work.
Best wishes

Mike