Saturno - August 2023 - The Times They Are A-Changing & Feel My Love - Bob Dylan covers

I’ve always loved Dylan and this song, but was even more inspired to sing it when I recently came across a live and impassioned version by Sinead O’Connor. This is my rough and ready attempt.

plus

Feel My Love

13 Likes

Beautifully played and sung Claudia. Your strumming was steady, the chord changes looked solid, and the vocals were wonderful. :clap:

1 Like

Very nice rendition Claudia. Solid timing and chord changes. Well done :+1:

1 Like

I agree with the comments above your strumming is right on time as near as dammit, and very solid. You are obviously very comfortable playing this one, it shows in the overall performance. And your vocals are very clear melodic and expressive.

1 Like

Really musical and rhythmic performance here Claudia , Super solid all round.
Love how you importantly get the timing of the words in just the right place
If you’re looking for something to work on, then the only thing I’d say is a technical thing, to revisit Justin’s lessons on wrist angles and technique for possible carpal tunnel issues down the line.
cheers
Ruaridh

1 Like

Feels like it’s been a while since you shared a song with us, Claudia, delightful to find this treat this morning.

I think you nailed the vibe and groove of the song, played and sung with good feel for the accents and dynamics.

1 Like

Sounded great Claudia! Excellent strumming and dynamics! :grin:

1 Like

Hi Claudia,
Really enjoyed listening. Agree with what’s already been said, thought you did a great job.
Also checked out your version of Blackbird - very nice.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Best wishes,
Alan

1 Like

Well played and sung Claudia. A very confident and competent performance of a Dylan classic.
You just need to learn the harmonica part now. :smiley:

1 Like

Very very nice Claudia.

1 Like

Hello Claudia, your rendition is most enjoyable to my ears! You’re very much gifted with your beautiful voice and the way you accompany yourself with the guitar is delightful. Well done!

1 Like

A great listen, very played played and sung with expression.

1 Like

I don’t post anything for ages and then I come on here with two, one after the other. Hope it’s not overkill! Another Dylan song, this time influenced by Adele’s cover. It was the first song I ever heard her sing on the radio and I thought, wow, this woman’s a great singer and a great songwriter. Then, I found out it was one of his. It made sense because (no disrespect to her) the song jumped out at me as something really special.

7 Likes

Beautifully sung and played Claudia. Feeling and sensitivity oozed from that performance.
Well done. Must be your best one yet. You’re clearly on a Dylan roll at the moment.
Yes the Adele version is good . Bryan Ferry has a great version too.

1 Like

A little quiet on the recording, but really lovely. :slight_smile: :clap:

R.

1 Like

A wonderful rendition, Claudia, played and sung with feeling.

I especially liked the accented bass runs at various points.

From a recording perspective, I’d have liked the guitar a little louder to improve the vocal-guitar balance. That’s an entirely subjective opinion. From memory I think you normally have it spot on when strumming, which drives more sound from the guitar. Maybe for finger-picked song it could work to adjust the mic position. It appears to be recorded through a single condensor mic. If so I’d try inverting the mic, so the top is pointing to the floor, dropping it do be more in line with the guitar, and angling slightly towards the mouth (cable end tilted away from you). But maybe it was recorded simply by the phone in which case not much can be done.

That said, I must reiterate, that is subjective and not an issue that is stopping me from a second listen as I reply :grin:

Such a beautiful song, released by Dylan on Time Out of Mind in '97. The first in a run of three great albums, being followed by Love and Theft and Modern Times. I was first introduced to it by @batwoman, I can’t recall the details, it may have been inspired by one of the legion of artists who’ve covered this modern classic.

Thanks for sharing the song and bringing it back to me.

Ah, I had no idea Bryan Ferry did a version of this. I’ll have to check that out. Thank you :slight_smile:

I agree David re the sound. My fingerpicking recordings do tend to have the guitar sound too faint. I’ll have a go with your mic placement suggestions and see if that makes a difference. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks Ruaridh, that’s a very valid observation. My wrist angles look bloody weird in this video! I need to pay some attention to this.

Thank you Silvia