Sevi's Sweat and Tears (aka learning log)

I’m working on a few things at different levels, and I need a place to keep track of it all, so this can hopefully be it.

What I already can play well most of the time:
Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
Walk the Line - Johnny Cash (easy open chords, changing base notes, singing)
Keine ruhige Minute - Reinhard Mey (Old Faithful, singing)
Mad World - Gary Jules (fingerstyle, riff, singing)
The Gambler - Kenny Rogers (play with record)
Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
Surfin’ USA - The Beach Boys (riff, singing)
Breakfast at Tiffany’s - Deep Blue Something (Old Faithful, singing)
Hound Dog - Elvis
I’m a Believer - The Monkees
Schlaflied für Anne - Fredrik Vahle (fingerstyle, melody elements)
Über Sieben Brücken - Peter Maffay

What I am working on:
Jolene: getting faster with easy fingerstyle, singing, original picking
Breakfast at Tiffany’s: original 16 note strumming, singing (eventually)
Anyone for you - George Ezra: 16 note strumming, overall structure, singing (eventually)
Über den Wolken - Reinhard Mey: double time picking, hammer-on’s, singing
Working Class Hero: faster chord changes, dynamics, singing (eventually)
Bei Ilse und Willi auf’m Land - Reinhard Mey: F bar chord, finding strumming pattern(s), singing, learning lyrics
Scarborough Fair - Simon & Garfunkel: learning the picking patterns
Radioactive - Imagine Dragons: singing
Father and Son - Cat Stevens: intro, B bar chord, dynamics, change in rhythm

What I want to learn in the near future:
Streets of London, Schlaflied - Die Ärzte, The Letter, Puff the Magic Dragon, I see Fire - Ed Sheeran, Bard Song - Blind Guardians

6 Likes

Hey Eva,

Nice list of songs with lots of variations in style, tempo & difficulty… :grinning:
Do you have Justin’s ap? I use it mainly for the “guitar karaoke” to play along with the songs I’m learning… it’s fun!

I’m working on Sheeran’s Make it Rain… it’s not difficult but also not easy to sound like the original… also anything by Simon & Garfunkel is really challenging, Paul Simon does some intricate picking patterns that are a challenge to get “under the fingers”!!!
Good Luck!!!

Tod

I don’t have a mobile phone, so no. But I’ve been thinking about finding a way to get it on my tablet, since I think it’s important to learn in context with other instruments. Ideally, with other people in a band, but I don’t think that’s happening any time soon.

Yeah, I love it, but it is a lot. I found a good tutorial, and I’m taking it very, very slowly, bit by bit. I wanna do this right, since it is such a beautiful song. I’m learning it for my sister, incidentally, to show her how it is played when we meet up in September. If I have a lot of time, I might be lucky to have at least learned all the patterns and the structure til then, but there is no chance I’m gonna be anywhere near singing speed. It doesn’t matter, I love the song, and I’m learning lots, and that’s what’s important.

What’s the challenge?

1 Like

Not really sure… it’s a slow tempo with Am Em B7 chords throughout & I know them all well.
It’s just not sounding like Ed though…
My wife often recognizes what I’m playing without lyrics, but not this one!!! It’s a work in progress I guess! At some point it’ll come together for me!
Have fun learning the songs you’re working on!!!

Tod

1 Like

I hope it clicks soon for you!

I started music theory Grade 1 and 2 yesterday, and it’s amazing how much I still remember from my piano lessons when I was a kid. I went through it very fast, and I even made a chordbook/songbook:

4 Likes

I guess I put this here as well, so I know how bad it was in the beginning. The goal is to start recording myself regularly from now on, so I can analyse myself, and hopefully get less nervous by repeated exposure :laughing:

6 Likes

Eva

Great first effort! The strumming was fairly tidy - your confidence will grow and your performance will improve. Try practicing it a little slower.

Brian

Thank you, Brian :hibiscus:, will do. I hadn’t realised how fast I was getting with it, and now it makes sense why my fingers are sometimes confused about what is next. Will go slower, and hopefully there will be no more confusion^^

I say the same as @beejay56 , great effort. The best part was when you kept going when it went a little bit wrong. So hard to do when starting out. Well done!!

1 Like

Thank you, @ziggysden it made me smile :smile:

Wow, I’d like to be able to play like that!

Welcome and keep playing, it’s nice!