She Dies - an original by JK

Great songwriting and amazing performance @jkahn, both playing and singing.

1 Like

Dude! What the $^#%?! :exploding_head: That was mental good! :metal:
I have read through the the comments above and agree with many of the comparisons to other artists, however felt this had a uniqueness of its own that I couldnā€™t say specifically it was like one or another. Taking influence and making it your own, nicely done sir!

Also reading the comments, I wish to differ with what many have said about the vocals, I listened a couple of times through with some good cans and to me the low, melancholic droning style fit well with the depressive vibe. I also donā€™t have an issue with some of the more indistinct passages, although a lot of the music I listen to there is no way you could ever understand what theyā€™re saying, soā€¦ :man_shrugging: :sweat_smile:.

My preference, typically, with vocals is to not know all the lyrics and leave them open for interpretation. As long as I have a good feel for what the song is trying to portray, I still like some mystery. Sometimes I find reading the actual lyrics a bit of disappointment, although not saying that in this case as I havenā€™t read the lyrics, chose to skip over them in the comments above :joy: But from what I picked up listening, I found them haunting and very much enjoyed the phrasing.

Agree, David, that would be a good approach, best of both worlds :slight_smile:

Final comment I really dug that you kept it short, especially for a song this heavy, the 2 minute run time worked perfect for me.

Great job JK. I think you should dust of some of those other ā€œhalf-bakedā€ ones you have lying around and get them out there my friend :wink: :sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes

My next challenge, the singing with finger picking. Well done sir, an original too so two thumbs up!ā€¦.Rod

1 Like

I totally agree. Not to be misunderstoodā€¦As a non English person. you hear a lot of music without even realising what someone is singing. And often itā€™s no loss. My approach to this one comes out of my impression, that if someone like JK writes a song in this genre, in in that mood, he has something to sayā€¦and I was curious, what this would be. :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m still a bit in awe that you all took the time to check out my weird little song. Thank you. It definitely wasnā€™t very refined (kind of intentional, I didnā€™t think it would get much attention). Iā€™m also not trying to establish this as a particular style of mine, it just seemed to work for the song. Some more replies.

Thanks David for all your advice on production and recording. Definitely some new things for me to try next time. The mic does taste pretty good though. I might try it a bit further away with your tips. I should pay a bit more attention to the production stuff. Iā€™ve learnt enough to record and adjust volume and some trial an error with the basic vocal stuff so itā€™s not totally dry (in Ableton, not Reaper, but same-same). Great suggestions that will help me.

Eating the mic nourishes me :rofl:. j/k. All playing does.

Thanks for checking it out Danny, and yes youā€™re right, I wasnā€™t trying to enunciate clearly, but then again I wasnā€™t particularly trying to imitate someone (although there are many comparisons to Cohen of course), I was just trying to get across a certain vibe.

Thanks Rob, good ideas on adding a break & some variation to add interest. Iā€™m glad you liked it.

Well that was the intention, so itā€™s good it came across that way. BTW I still donā€™t know the lyrics to Fake Plastic Trees even though iā€™ve listened 1000x times.

Thanks for checking it out Lee, glad you liked it.

Probably the first time in my life my vocals have been described as better than someone elseā€™s :rofl:. I agree itā€™s far from what Iā€™ve heard of yours, nice to hear itā€™s similar to some of your early stuff. Thanks for stopping by and checking it out Stephen.

I wasnā€™t sure what to think of it when I posted it, so yeah, I guess I am pretty happy with it now! Thanks Phil.

Well I mean Mr Larsen already has us both smoked with original content! Just wait until you see my next RHCP video (lol, yeah right, thatā€™s a long time coming). Thanks for checking it out and the tips.

I think Iā€™m still exploring Gordon. My voice is pretty deep and Iā€™m figuring out what works, and trying to expand my range. In fits and starts. Thanks for checking it out.

Thank you Serhat.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad it came across well. The influence was accidental, I was going for a vibe and that happened. I have been a bit surprised (positively) by a lot of the feedback. Unexpected.

That was why I didnā€™t post them initially. Iā€™m fine of course with people knowing them, but it didnā€™t make sense (to me) for people to read while listening. Itā€™s an audio art form.

That was intentional - keeping it short. Iā€™d rather a song finish too early than overstay its welcome.

I think instead of being like half-baked cookie dough or the Ben & Jerryā€™s flavour, theyā€™d be more like an eggplant pasta bake taken out of the oven too early.

1 Like

Go for it Rod, simple fingerpicking patterns on autopilot are just as easy as singing with strumming once you get them down - that is, not easy to start, but they get there before you think. Thanks for the listen.

And Iā€™m happy to share the lyrics like I did Andrea :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the lyrics Jk, I have to admit that the feeling of the song was quite clear without understanding each single word and somehow I could form my interpretation of what the song was aboutā€¦so you win some more praise from me for having conveyed the meaning through music, the words might not have been there, the title was sufficient to get it. Reading the lyrics was an enrichment thoughā€¦

1 Like

Translationā€¦. ā€œItā€™s easy once you can do it! ā€œ :rofl:ā€¦ā€¦Rod

2 Likes

3 days
25 :heart:s
50 commentsā€¦
'nuff said! :rofl:

2 Likes

Excellent JK! I thought that your picking was very regular and clean. The deep voice made me think of Leonard Cohen and Lou Read. I didnā€™t find any constructive comments about the music. Perhaps just the looking at the camera thing. It was great and excellent to be doing your own songs and sharing them.
Greg

1 Like

Hi JK,
Gosh, I just about missed this one somehow. I had to do a search on my screen name, to find I had not commented!

Ok, to me this is a good start. My thoughts are you used part of this as an intro and then go full metal. By that I mean use acoustic guitar just as you did for the intro area. Then switch over to electric and wail! Add in some drums and bass too! Maybe back your chorus areas (are there any?) with backing vox!

All the above will create a full song production and it will be good to get one of those under your belt!

All the best,
LB

2 Likes

Congrats on your first original JK. The guitar work really matched the lyrics and tone of the song. :clap:

1 Like

Thanks for checking out my weird little song @Twangmaster @LBro @TheCluelessLuthier

Iā€™ll do a full song production one day when the desire strikes, not sure when though, and probably not of this one :wink: