She Talks to Angels (Collab with The Madman)

@mari and @TheMadman_tobyjenner I don’t know the original but your version sounds great. I’m just going to have a listen to the original now. I hope it lives up to your version.

Edited, just had a listen and I preferred your version

2 Likes

Ah, a Mad-Mari production to see out '21.
What does '22 hold in store? There’s gotta be a Catch :roll_eyes:
Bravo!
Old-fashioned to you both :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Woah! Another amazing collab, well done you guys! Beautiful playing @mari and nice job on the mic @TheMadman_tobyjenner! Imagine the possibilities if there was no latency on our virtual Open Mics 🥲

2 Likes

No problems using the embedded link volume wise, pretty much as I rendered it. My PC sound bar is set to about 90% volume and the system volume is 20. In fact to my ears playing in Soundcloud direct is slightly higher than here ?? As to the balance, still happy. A lot of the vocals are in the spaces and you could maybe go up 0.5 Db but anymore and I’d be swamping the guitar :cry:

1 Like

LBro

Cheers. Yeah the Martin was DIed into AI into Reaper and then as per my comments above your post. Kista added CLA Unplugged and tweaked to get the fell of the OT albeit a tone down.
And yes when I woke to see the drone footage I thought, that will do nicely but maybe next time. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ivan

A couple of days into this, we both said how great this would be to do live together. Next best thing I guess :French shoulder shrug emoji: :smiley:

@Richard_close2u @DarrellW @diademgrove @brianlarsen thank you all for listening. Yes a great way to see the year out !:sunglasses:

1 Like

Toby did you record using condenser or dynamic mic? If condenser how far away did you put the mic away from your mouth, what sensitivity did you set on AI and how do you tackle louder bits so you don’t get any sort of distortion? Is it just good positioning and sensitivity levels or do you move away from the mic during louder bits?

@mari and @TheMadman_tobyjenner, I can only echo what everyone has already commented. Such a treat!

2 Likes

Adi

I did a demo video in B using the Mackie condenser and it was a little too sensitive. So as per recent Open Mics I used the Shure SM58LC and just sang as naturally as I could. But there where quite a few peaks and troughs showing in Reaper, so I went through each verse line and chorus line, splitting and adjusting the levels so they were fairly consistent. Nothing bleed to the point where it was distorted but it just needed levelling up. Once that was done I then started adding the FX.

The guitar track was already wide and bright with the mixing Krista had done, so I just doubled it and panned the 2 tracks 35% Left and Right which added a bit more presence. Was going to do the same with the vox and a 5% L/R pan but was quite happy as it was and more importantly, so was Mari !

Hope that helps.

After thought - if it had been live I would have dropped a compressor on the vox to keep from bouncing off the ceiling.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Understood, thanks Toby! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was amazing, well done you guys. What a collaboration! I’m not familiar with the song but I loved your version.
Terrific guitar play from @mari and terrific vocals from @TheMadman_tobyjenner.

Looking forward to more from this dynamic duo!

2 Likes

@adi_mrok if you’re worried about distorting loud bits during live performances have a look at compression Adrian, both for guitar and vocals.

1 Like

Will do thanks Ivan!

@DavidP @batwoman @LBro @Richard_close2u @DarrellW @brianlarsen @SS7 @ChasetheDream @sairfingers thank you all so much for listening and your comments. Such a great guitar tune to play, it was a real highlight for me to do this collab with @TheMadman_tobyjenner !

And me you me dear, twas but a whirlwind few days but let’s do it again :sunglasses:
Will get to your last mail but win10 done another update and mail aint loading. Aaaaarrrgghhhh !!!

1 Like

I had intended to say in the first post that Toby also did the mixing and mastering, with I guess a bit of help from Krista who added a plugin to the guitar - so I edited the first post to say that!

1 Like

@diademgrove that’s a mighty fine compliment :slight_smile: I agree with something @J.W.C said on a post by @MapleBrain that one of the cool things about AVOYP is getting introduced to songs you’ve missed out on - it’s an inspirational place!

Or perhaps one with me and The Madman both on guitar, and The Madman and Krista both on vocals! :smiley:

2 Likes

I think we’re thinking about different Whitefish Rivers, @LBro . ‘My’ Whitefish area is in Northwestern Ontario, not too far from the northern edge of Lake Superior (the world’s largest freshwater lake by surface volume, and the third largest by volume). There is a lot of fishing in parts of the river, and at Whitefish Lake, but not a hobby I ever tried.

Not quite following this - you’re obviously referring to the drone video that @Richard_close2u moved to Just Chatting (thank you Richard!), but I seem to be missing something here.