Silent Guitar practice

I was wondering how I could practice playing my guitar in silence? I am learning to play acoustic guitar and I have been away camping with my family who don’t mind me practicing, but it would appear that other campers don’t appreciate the the 1 minute challenge. Any thoughts?

Whilst using an acoustic?

Put a sock under the strings just by the bridge.

5 Likes

I’m sure your guitar would appreciate a clean one

4 Likes

Hey Mark,

Not quite sure what you’re after, but basically looks like you’ve presently got 2 options.

1. Move further away from the campers/ play in your tent etc
  2. Give em the finger and carry on :nerd_face:

If camping’s your thing, and you do it regularly, down the track an electric guitar, a little battery powered amp, and headphones would be perfect.

All the best.

Cheers,
Shane

1 Like

Yes I am playing an acoustic.

Would an electric guitar playing in headphones sound like an acoustic? It may seem like a daft question but I don’t know for sure.

No not exactly. However you can use acoustic simulators on some amps etc that, from my limited experience, do an OK job. I’ve actually been fiddling around with a few today, which I may even use in the next open mic event.

Cheers, Shane

The acoustic sim on the Boss Pocket GT isn’t bad, and it’s a handy portable size too (and can be used as an AI).

Cheers,

Keith

That sock idea actually looks decent.

There is also such a thing as a Yamaha silent acoustic guitar. Don’t know much about them, might be worth looking into? SLG200 Series - Overview - SILENT Guitar™ - Guitars, Basses & Amps - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha - Music - Australia

More expensive than a sock though…

1 Like

Sorry Keith what’s ai?

Audio Interface, opposed to artificial intelligence,

Yamaha sells an acoustic guitar called the Silent guitar. there are models with steel and also with nylon strings. It’s completely quiet and you use headphones to hear your playing. I’ve had one for about 5 years and it’s a great option for silent playing and for travel.

3 Likes

I just got the Yamaha SLG200 for this reason and so far I’m enjoying it.

4 Likes

I can recommend this traveler Guitar. Silent when not plugged in, small but yet full scale, easy to plug in your phone or PC for backing Tracks/metronom etc.
I have it next to my couch and can play it while my better half watches TV. I found it increases my practise time, since it is so accesible, small and quiet.

https://travelerguitar.com/products/escape-mark-iii

2 Likes

You might also look at snapdragon guitars - i have used one in my apartment and while travelling. They are basically folding silent guitars that are really convenient and are full scale.

1 Like