Sitting Position

Hi guys, just throwing this out there. I’m a newbee on the journey, 7 months in and a senior citizen. I just retired and feel like a kid again, doing stuff I want with no parental supervision! One of the benefits of being a senior is I get to take classes at the local community college tuition free. One class I am taking is beginner guitar. The instructor is a classical guitar player so the class is based on classical guitar, finger picking, no picks or electric guitars allowed. I digressed, what I wanted to share was the sitting position we use. Guitar between the legs with a foot stool for the left leg (I am right handed). This puts the neck of the guitar and fret board right in your face. Three months into the journey I started having lower back isuues and since I never had back problems before, in the back of mind I wondered if playing guitar had something to do with it, always looking down at the fretboard and down at the music holding up that ten poundbowling ball called my head. Well I was right. This new position is working for me and since I am in my room alone, I don’t care if it’s not the way we’re used to holding the guitar. I am also making a more concious effort to play without looking at the fretboard and “feeling” my way through the music. The light went on and I also raised the music stand to eye level so I wasn’t looking down (duh). It’s improved my playing ad my health (sorry Mr. chyropractor)! Mother nature has a way of working things out if you pay attention to what she’s trying to tell you. Coincendentally, I started the JG module on finger picking just when I started taking this class…it must of been meant to be. Thanks to JG for changing my life and thanks to all of you for the wonderful insights!

4 Likes

Some of us have been having more success with the classical position…either with or without a strap.

Here’s a topic that compares the major sitting positions:

PS Could you edit your post into paragraphs? The “wall of text” makes it much harder to read, which is unfortunate since you have some good insights.

I play classical as well as steel string in the classical position. Even electric, same way on the rare occasions I play one.

I use a lift rather than the foot stool. I have read that the footstool is notorious for eventually causing the same back problems.

Have fun!
Guitar posture is truly important.
The classical guitar position is the best, in. my opinion, as you can be is a good posture, and you can really see the fretboard clearly.

2 Likes

Updated for easier reading-

Hi guys, just throwing this out there. I’m a newbee on the journey, 7 months in and a senior citizen. I just retired and feel like a kid again, doing stuff I want with no parental supervision! One of the benefits of being a senior is I get to take classes at the local community college tuition free.

One class I am taking is beginner guitar. The instructor is a classical guitar player so the class is based on classical guitar, finger picking, no picks or electric guitars allowed.

I digressed, what I wanted to share was the sitting position we use. Guitar between the legs with a foot stool for the left leg (I am right handed). This puts the neck of the guitar and fret board right in your face.

Three months into the journey I started having lower back issues and since I never had back problems before, in the back of mind I wondered if playing guitar had something to do with it, always looking down at the fretboard, sound hole and down at the music, holding up that ten poundbowling ball called my head. Well I was right. This new position is working for me and since I am in my room alone, I don’t care if it’s not the way we’re used to holding the guitar.

I am also making a more concious effort to play without looking at the fretboard and “feeling” my way through the music.

The light went on and I also raised the music stand to eye level so I wasn’t looking down (duh). It’s improved my playing and my health (sorry Mr. chyropractor)!

Mother nature has a way of working things out if you pay attention to what she’s trying to tell you. Coincendentally, I started the JG module on finger picking just when I started taking this class…it must of been meant to be. I find I don’t use the pick anymore, even playing my electric.

Thanks to JG for changing my life and thanks to all of you for the wonderful insights!
[/quote]

Totally agree!

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, I do find that my left leg does get numb after a while. I will pick up a lift.

And I too rarely play electric but I’m on the power chord module and that module seems to be geared to electric. Using the classical position for electric and my tele fits in nicely!

Welcome to the community. I started playing with the guitar in the classical position as you mention. When I started doing open mics and more public performances, I wanted to play standing up and that required a much different position. So now I play either sitting down or standing up with the guitar in the same position (not the classical position).

I totally agree, I’m learning Classical guitar too but it feels better for me also when I’m playing my acoustic. I think it’s very subjective and what’s best for me might not be ideal for others…but just have a look at guitarists playing standing…a lot of them tend to have the neck higher.

1 Like

I’m wondering as well I should pick up a lift, maybe an ergoplay…here’s a video that shows different options.

Think about how many guitars you have or will have.

I use and really like the Sageworks lift. It uses installed magnets and you can get a magnet set for each guitar. I swap between my guitars easily at home. I have a third guitar in the mountains and I use a suction cup lift.

Suction cups suck.

1 Like

Thanks all for the positive feedback and recommendations. I will look into the lifts as suggested. I missed the earlier post about sitting positions and should have posted on that thread.

Thanks for the advice I’ll check it out on Amazon!