Sliding Into Sunday

Some triad slides on a Sunday morning:

Inspired and motivated by: @Richard_close2u
& Triads & Soloing & Targeting Chord Tones Part 1 - getting started

14 Likes

Love it Clint. In addition to comments shared on YT, this just amplifies how much value there is to be had by doing more than just reading Richard’s expositions (that is me talking to myself).

1 Like

Clint,
I really like the progressions here as they sound nice. Thanks for sharing as I might have to look into this deeper!

All the best,
LB

1 Like

Thanks DP! I will admit that this progression has been bouncing around in my head for a while (in bits and pieces). The triad lesson helped motivate me to glue this together and finalize.

@Richard_close2u laid out the triads showing multiple combinations of given chords. My track was more of an exercise using the triad chords in a key (mix of major and minor), in this case D major.

1 Like

Thanks LB! Triads open up the fretboard in a number of awesome ways. If we know our triads we can comp with anybody and build lead chops, intros/outros on the fly.

Looking forward to more explorations and inspiration from @Richard_close2u!

That was really nice, I will have to checkout Richards post.

1 Like

Cool Sunday sliding indeed Clint.
I liked it even before pressing play - the teddy bear on the slide is a great thumbnail. You blend the chords and triads and melodic movements together nicely. Thanks for the shout out, hopefully your inspiration and demonstration of just one aspect of triads will in turn inspire others to explore and enjoy and share.
Vibes to you my man.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate the kind comment.

Yeah, try playing a song or progression that you already know using the triad chords from Richard’s post. If you have a looper, you can strum that progression with open chords and then play over that loop with your triad chord shapes/arpeggios/lead lines. Good times!

Thank you sir! Yes, the sky is the limit with triads, mine was a focused exercise of triad chord movement in the key of D major. Really just three triads linked together, although D major has a triad feel to it (as does D minor). :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounded lovely, and there’s not much more I need to say about it. :blush:

1 Like

I appreciate the comment. I’m a man of few words myself. Carry on. :wink:

Lovely composition - doesn’t sound like an exercise at all.

1 Like

I’ve been working on triads myself recently. This was very inspiring Clint. Thank you.

1 Like

Really nice Clint, works beautifully on a Monday morning too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Clint,
Lovely tones and a great thumbnail… :sunglasses: :bouquet:
Greetings,…

Well, we’re sliding into the middle of the week now, but still sounds good to me.
Another bite-size tasty morsel from Sunny California :sunglasses:
Now triads is another one of those things that I know I will eventually take a closer look at, as I presume they will fit into my strum ‘n’ sing formula somewhere down this crazy river… but for now I will just put my feet up and enjoy.
This etude reminded me of Mr. Gilmour’s strummy bits in PF’s Fearless about 15 seconds in. I’m probably way off the mark, but that’s a compliment in my book.
Carry on :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! Every song is an exercise to a certain degree, and an exploration as we learn and find our voice on the instrument.

Much appreciated!

1 Like

I appreciate the comment. Good on you, don’t hesitate to incorporate triads into your playing. There are so many real world applications as a guitar player --that add a lot of value and flavor to our music.

Thanks BL! I wouldn’t wait on learning and using triads in your music. Triads are more useful and flexible than bar chords (from my point of view).

Here’s an example from 2020 of some lead playing consisting primarily of triad chord tones. My friend Holly is strumming chords to a song she wrote, my lead guitar parts are in the right channel: Greta