Triads & Soloing & Targeting Chord Tones Part 1 - getting started

I was first inspired to write this topic by a comment from @balamuthiahv when writing a review of his 1-to-1 lesson with Justin in 2019 in which he wrote:

I forgot to ask him were about how to use and target chord notes while soloing

You can read Bala’s full write up here and my response to that specific comment in the next immediate post below it.

I wanted to elaborate more fully and develop a topic that I hope others might benefit from - simple steps to begin learning how to incorporate the magical art of targeting chord tones in lead guitar. You could also read this topic in conjunction with one I wrote on a similar theme here.

4 Likes

Soloing with the approach of targeting chord tones.

First, you need to know the chord progression you are going to play a solo over. Where there are only major or minor chords there are no issues - just think of these chords as triads,. For major chords, the triads will be 1, 3, 5. For minor chords the triads will be 1, b3, 5.
If the progression has chords that are extended beyond the basic triads (for example major 7, minor 7, dominant 7, add9, sus4 etc) then simply think of them reduced back to triad size as either plain major or minor.
The 1, 3, 5 (major) and 1, b3, 5 (minor) will become your target notes. They are ‘chord tones’ and will provide comfortable landing places that you can play and always sound ‘good’ when the chords are changing in the progression.

For your chosen chord progression / backing track, chart the chords as triads on a set of three adjacent strings. Visualise the five movable CAGED barre shapes and just mark the notes on your chosen strings. If you know your intervals, mark the root and the 3rd and 5th too. Definitely the root. Have these neck diagrams in sight when you are playing. I am going to do this work for you to begin and set up neck diagrams in several chords.

For the purposes of this study we are going to start with triads on the G, B and E strings first. We will jump straight in with some practical, hands-on learning. We will then do likewise for triads on the D, G and B strings.
Triads do exist, and are used, on all sets of three adjacent strings (E, A & D plus A, D & G). We are not going to venture that far here… There are also split triads where the three notes (1, 3, 5 and / or 1, b3, 5) are played on three strings that are not all adjacent. We are not going to look at those in this topic either.

1 Like

The playing starts immediately. The task sounds simple but will require some thinking and finding initially.

Put on a backing track and listen for the chord changes. Play along with the chords strumming or arpeggiating triads only. This will help you to become famiar with the structure of the progression in the backing track and the shape and location of the triads you need.

Soon, move to playing single notes.

Play one note per bar, just one note, over the chord progression within the backing track. Start with the root note of each chord as it comes around. Just the root. Get used to where the root notes are and what they sound like.

Then repeat but with the 3rd … and then the 5th.

Then repeat the above but play any two notes per bar over the chords. Combinations are root & 3rd, root & 5th, 3rd & 5th.

Try to think of variations in the way you play these notes. Remember, you are practicing as a build up to playing solos. Add a little vibrato. Slide to a note. Slide out of a note. Play hard. Play soft. Let a note sustain. Mute to kill a note.

Then repeat and extend the idea. Make up a little run of 3 or 4 notes that either start and / or end on the root note of each chord per bar. You could progress to short runs, licks & phrases. For now, still limit your choice to notes that are only from the triads – the root, 3 / b3 and 5.

Again, remember that you are building skills to playing interesting, melodic solos. What can you do to do more than just play the notes? What techniques can you bring to your short phrases? Bending? Hammer-ons and flick-offs? Vibrato? Dynamics?
Try to be conscious of ‘when’ you start your phrases too. You do not have to start everything on the count of 1.
Try to be conscious of the duration of your notes. You do not need to play just 1/4 or 1/8 notes. Can you incorporate some triplets to your phrases?

Try this for a few weeks over a variety of backing tracks in different keys. The sort of backing track that will work best with this will have only three or four chords, be fairly slow and perhaps hold each chord for two or more bars. I will post one for each example that follows. Each will be a good length and most use the famous and ubiquitous 4-chord progression I - V - vi - IV (as made infamous by Axis of Awesome).
See if you can find others, or use a looper to make up your own.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Targeting chord tones with triads on the G, B and E strings

In the next three posts you will see triads in the keys of C, G and D respectively. Only six are shown as I have chosen not to include the diminished triads.

These first examples are exclusively on the G, B and E strings. Further examples on the D, G and B strings will follow.

Spend time with these shapes. There are three different shapes for each of the major and minor triads. Six shapes in total on the G, B and E strings - the same number on the D, G and B strings. If you need to learn one triad shape at a time then that is fine. Play all the majors using just one shape and all the minors using just one shape until you can play and move between them freely. Then try a second triad shape for each of the majors and minors. Then, eventually, the third shape. The only thing to note if you follow that path is that you need to be prepared for a lot of sliding up and down the neck.

There is a lot of information and a lot of learning to get through. Build slowly and securely with solid foundations.

1 Like

Example in the key of C

Triads in the key of C (not including diminished).

Here is a I, V, vi, IV progression in the key of C to play over. Epic Ballad Backing Track! ONE HOUR! Key of C - Rock/Pop - YouTube

This one includes the ii chord, D minor, also. Dreamy Ethereal Ballad Guitar Backing Track Jam in C - YouTube

Remember to start with just one note per bar, the root note at first, one one string at a time. Then the 3rds, the 5ths etc. Then use the guidance as written above.

1 Like

Example in the key of G

Triads for the key of G (not including diminished).

Backing in G [chords G D Em C]. Epic Ballad Backing Track! ONE HOUR! Key of G - Rock/Pop - YouTube

Remember to start with just one note per bar, the root note at first, one one string at a time. Then the 3rds, the 5ths etc. Then use the guidance as written above.

2 Likes

Example in the key of D

Triads in the key of D (not including diminished).

Backing in D [chords D A Bm G]. Epic Ballad Backing Track! ONE HOUR! Key of D - Rock/Pop - YouTube

Any questions or comments so far?

1 Like

Triad chord tones unlock so many cool things on the fretboard. I don’t want to add or subtract one thing that you have presented here. Really good bedrock concepts sir @Richard_close2u I do want to challenge members to try some of these concepts and share their explorations.

1 Like

Thanks again Richard for what I hope is one of many more pieces about triads and chord tone targetting in general.
They’ve been a big part of my learning and exploration this year, and information like this is helping alot.

In just over 2 years learning guitar, I think triads are the single most important thing I’ve learnt, both as a teaching tool, and a means of understanding and exploration. And I come across them again and again in songs I’m learning.
Looking forward to more, particularly on voice leading, and different ways of linking triads in general via scale frameworks or other interval patterns.

Cheers,
Shane

2 Likes

This is good stuff Richard. It ties in nicely with a separate discussion I’m having with @stitch and @TheMadman_tobyjenner about a system for learning the notes on strings 2&3.

3 Likes

Oh yes please. I fully concur.
:+1:
:sunglasses:

Thanks Shane. Triads do connect so much - barre chords, CAGED, 3rds, 6ths, scale ‘boxes’.
More to come? For sure.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

A system for the note names on the G and B strings? I hope it helps you and feeds into your overall playing and understanding. You can then tell us all about it and share the joy. :slight_smile:

Targeting chord tones using triads on the D, G and B strings

Hopefully, you have invested playing time with your guitar to exploring the shapes on the G, B and E strings, targeting the individual notes and even building upto playing some very simple, short phrases using the triads and just the 1, 3, 5 / 1, b3, 5 chord tones contained within.

The next step is to follow the same methods and processes transferred to triads on the D, G and B strings.
We now have another six different shapes to learn and play. As before, if you want or need to learn these one major shape and one minor shape at a time then do so.

As before, we will have examples in the keys of C, G and D. You can use the same backing tracks or any others you may care to use / create.

This is still all about learning, exploring, having fun, listening and developing skills a bit at a time.

Example in the key of C

Triads in the key of C (not including diminished).

Here is a I, V, vi, IV progression in the key of C to play over. Epic Ballad Backing Track! ONE HOUR! Key of C - Rock/Pop - YouTube

This one includes the ii chord, D minor, also. Dreamy Ethereal Ballad Guitar Backing Track Jam in C - YouTube

Have fun. Take your time.

Example in the key of G

Triads for the key of G (not including diminished).

Backing in G [chords G D Em C]. Epic Ballad Backing Track! ONE HOUR! Key of G - Rock/Pop - YouTube

Enjoy.
:slight_smile:

Example in the key of D

Triads in the key of D (not including diminished).

Backing in D [chords D A Bm G]. Epic Ballad Backing Track! ONE HOUR! Key of D - Rock/Pop - YouTube

Remember to start with just one note per bar, the root note at first. Then the 3rds, the 5ths etc. Then use the guidance as written above.

2 Likes

Questions, comments, discussion …

1 Like

This seem to fit in somewhere in Justin’s lessons like intermediate 4 or something like that? I think I am about this level so I will make a start this week and let you know how it goes.

1 Like

@mikemycroft Thanks fkr giving it your time, I look forward to you reporting back. Cheers, Richard