Smashing Pumpkins - Hummer (AVOYP)

Okay so not metal, lol! And although I am not at all a fan of Smashing Pumpkins in general, their Siamese Dream album came out just as I was in my early teens and for whatever reason resonated with me and still does to this day (except Disarm, never liked that song! lol). In particular this one was my favourite, so… here goes my attempt! Lots of techniques to continue to work on and plenty of errors, especially towards the end which gets pretty ropey! But enjoyed learning this one with some fun changes to play. Comments/feedback welcomed. Cheers for watching! :slight_smile:
(PS the video got blocked in some regions for copyright reasons so hopefully most can still view it, but let me know if not)
(PPS aiming to have a learning log up soon, currently working through Grade 2, Module 14 which is super fun, learning lots!)

11 Likes

All good here in France. :+1:

Not metal but heavy enough to get the blood stirring !
Looking cool and relaxed Jeff while cranking this out and smiling ! Not allowed, keep your serious hard rock head on ! Perfect for a late evening, multi-beer post recording session, that rocked and ticked multiple boxes. Some cool touches around 04:35 nice feel. Cool finish up the dusty end before heading neck bound.

What did the dog do ? Looks petrified or stunned ? Awesome Wicker Pup.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Very nice and that’s some killer sustain there. :metal: :smiley: Am I seeing and hearing correctly that you’re using the volume pot to change the sound of the guitar?

1 Like

Jeff that was really good, your guitar was literally roaring wow! What Katana setting did you use to get such a good sustain? All the best it sounded awesome no critique here!

1 Like

Thanks Toby! :smiley:
Yeah just ended up being blocked in Russia and Belarus according to the email I got from YouTube.

:joy: :joy: :joy: Noted! Will be gruffer next time! :confounded: :sweat_smile:

Thanks so much! Glad you liked it!

He’s just sick of my playing the same song 50 million times in a row! :dog2: :roll_eyes: :sweat_smile:

Thanks so much, Kamil! :smiley:

Yes! Good spotting! :slightly_smiling_face: There’s a couple of points in the song where I roll the volume back and then bring it in again. Still haven’t quite got the knack of it yet, but fun to play around with :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Adi! Super appreciate your kind words :smiley:

I had three presets in the song, here are some screens shots, hopefully you can see them. The first two rotate for the majority of the song then the last one is for the quieter section at the end. I played around with the harmoniser settings to get that last tone sounding similar to the recording (at least to my ears). Not sure that’s what Billy is using but I liked how it sounded so ran with it :joy:

Distorted tone

Clean tone

Harmoniser tone

2 Likes

Sounded great Jeff. Gotta love 90s rock.

Some pretty complicated bits in there from what I could see… multiple riffs, tone switching, solo, string picking, all sorts. Loved it.

1 Like

Another cracker, Jeff. Well played and killer tones in all parts. Neat video work with multiple cameras to present it.

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

That was awesome.
Love how the whole performance comes together with the different tones.
Great wall of sound.

Digger

1 Like

Hi Jeff,
You ROCK :sunglasses: :clap: :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Thanks so much @jkahn, @DavidP, @Digger72, @roger_holland !! Really appreciate all your kind words! :smiley:

Fantastic performance Jeff, I hadn’t heard the song before, but I really enjoyed it. The guitar tone was killer!

1 Like

Thanks Phil!! Stoked that you enjoyed it! Thanks so much for checking it out :smiley::+1:

I really enjoyed that Jeff, super stuff. You made that guitar sound great and played it so sweetly. Bravo!

1 Like

Thanks so much, Stefan! Very kind words! Really appreciate you taking the time to watch! :smiley:

That was super stuff, Jeff. It was great listening to you bringing it all together with the different tones. Very well played with some nice camera work.

1 Like

Thanks James! Yeah it is a super fun song to play with all the changes throughout! Glad you liked it and thanks for checking it out :slightly_smiling_face::+1: