Guitar Challenge - Play your favorite short lick or riff here!

@Lisa_S you are stealing from great master and no doubt they were robbing someone esle back in the day. Both looks sounded clean and interesting and definitely cool. So glad you dipped your toe in the water. :sunglasses:

@sclay Well that was a tasty couple of licks for sure. Who doesn’t like vanilla but there’s some classic chocolate sauce on tine added on the QT there my friend. FBL2 took me back to the 70s and tank tops, super sexy funk sir. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

A person once tried to teach me the intro to the Beatles “Octopus’s Garden”. Well, on the record George just blazes through it. Totally out of reach for this old guy. Anyway I learned the notes and play it at my speed :wink:

25 Likes

Well here it is, as encouraged by some prominent members of the community my contribution.

If I am honest I don’t think it is a lick really an instrumental or riff and is still WIP but getting there.

If you are wondering where it comes from, it is from Johnny Cash’s Tennessee Flat Top Box and is played between verses by Jim Soldi on the version I looked at rather than Luther Perkins. Lots of different version of song with capo on different frets and keys when performed by JC and also recorded by his daughter Rossanne Cash.

Michael

22 Likes

Ok in an effort to turn the tanker around before anymore pirates come out of the woodwork.

@barker7 @MAT1953

Thanks for having a go guys, enjoyed both of your contributions. Whether they are riff, licks is unimportant, fact is you had a go and both were pleasant to my ears. From and advice perspective Mitch, I would say nothing wrong with playing things slowly, its the best way to learn. Get the phrases under your fingers and then work on bring the pace up, The semi-solo I played before the solo demos, was about 75% of the target tempo and its the section before that which trips me up. Just keep working at it and you will get there. :+1:

5 Likes

I’ve been playing this for a couple of years, so it’s well under my fingers. In fact, I’ve become used to the current speed and the lick has become its own thing. A new thing actually, that’s a little more jazzy sounding.

I sort of forgot about the lick’s high speed origins until I added the explanation to my video!.

You advice is correct though. I’ve been trying to learn the intro to Hot Rod Lincoln using the speed-up approach. I even thought about posting that lick instead.

One thing I have noticed is that after a certain speed the picking hand becomes the limiting factor, and it must go through a transition where it becomes “un-linked” from the fretting hand. i.e The picking hand just worries about moving up and down at a fast but controlled speed (using a metronome), while the fretting hand is somehow :wink: doing the right thing.

I guess that’s why you need to get the movements under your fingers.

6 Likes

Hey @roger_holland great idea, I’ve enjoyed following through this thread to see everyone’s contributions, interesting side roads and all :wink: :sweat_smile:
I wasn’t sure if the lick had to be an original of your own creation or not? :thinking: But I see others have (or at least I think they have) posted one’s which they’re learning or have learnt from songs they’re working on, so I’m going to roll with that as I don’t really have any original licks worth sharing yet as I’m just starting down that path.
Anyways, here’s a Billy Corgan one from a song I shared here a while back and this is fairly indicative of the stage I’m at so felt it was a good representation.

26 Likes

Keep on posting those sweet licks here; I LOVE IT.

I’m going to share something as well this weekend. As usual, trying to record it will be at least as hard as trying to play it :smiley:

9 Likes

Nice work Jeff and thanks for getting this thread back on track. Best of luck to you guys in the :rugby_football: WC final tomorrow. My 9 year old son has become an All Blacks fan since we :ireland: got knocked out.

1 Like

Sounding good Jeff albeit via my phone. Pc just died a few hours ago. There’s a bit of Clapton going on there to my ears. Funny how inheritance and lineage works in this guitar world.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Rogier, great challenge :smiley::+1:.
Here is my little contribution. Similar to some others here, I’m totally uncertain about the difference between a riff and a lick. But I don’t care any further :innocent:. This one is stolen from Uncle Cracker’s song Follow Me :grin:.

29 Likes

Perfect Nicole.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

That was cool, Nicole! Nice one! :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Same here! I’m a big Weezer fan and the intro to Say it Ain’t So was one of the first things I attempted to learn on the guitar. I recognized the lick you played :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Re NPCD, I hope. Luckily have a tech repair shop nearby, so will be dropping off to be checked. Hoping just a blown psu. :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you Rogier for starting this thread, it is fun.
Here is a lick that I enjoy playing

20 Likes

Inspired and inspiring topic Rogier.

After reading through it, enjoying all the contributions, I just wanted to join the fun, despite not having picked up a guitar in weeks.

I saw the brief discussion as to the difference between a riff and a lick. A favourite lick is beyond me, but I do have a favourite riff. So here’s that riff plus a lick, neither played especially fluently, but hey this was a moment for participation over ‘perfection’. And can’t do too much harm in 20s :laughing:

23 Likes

Hi David :smiley:
Good to hear from you ,

That makes me a little sad ,

And this is 100% the most important ,so I be back at :smiley:
Greetings

And cool sunglasses:

2 Likes

Rogier, your wish is my command :sunglasses: :joy:!
It took me some time, as I first learned a lick out of a book I recently bought, nice one, but when I had it down and was going to record it, I suddenly saw a very strict copyright indication in the book, no copying, recording, publishing, sharing, etc :sob: … (I mean, a very simple lick based on the Em Scale…didn’t expect that…) so today, new try, out of YT’s variety of very easy beginner licks…
So, these are not my “favourite” licks (but my first two recorded ones). It’s a beginning and my way to salut you and contribute to this awesome thread of yours :slightly_smiling_face:. I apologize for my humble setup and video editing, but couldn’t do more at the moment.

22 Likes

Hello Andrea, and welcome to the world of YT recordings :star_struck::hugs:.
Those are two really nice sounding licks :smiley::+1:.

1 Like

@DavidP Super cool, David! 1st riff instantly recognisable, love it! Like the 2nd one too, very nice :sunglasses:

@Helen0609
Andrea!!! Yuss!!! :metal::astonished: So great to see you playing… and BOTH acoustic and electric?! AWESOME! :smiley: Both sounded great to me, you got the blues!! :sunglasses: More please!! :pray:

3 Likes