Socio - October 2023 - Why does it always rain on me on a perfect day along the watchtower? Updated 25 Oct

I learned to play All Along The Watchtower, Bob Dylan version. I found it to be a bit bland without the harmonica. So yesterday I decided to have a play around with the song and record the outcome.

All Along The Watchtower - frame

8 Likes

That sounded great James and not bland at all. It is great to see how much you have come on in two years and I hope you are really pleased with your progress?

Youā€™re maybe just missing a necktie around your head. :wink:

1 Like

@Eddie_09 Thanks for checking out the videos Eddie. Iā€™m glad that you enjoyed them mate.

@SgtColon Thankā€™s Stefan for checking out the latest recording too. Glad to hear that you thought it sounded great as I was a bit on the fence with this one. Yeah Iā€™m pleased with the progress Iā€™ve made over the two years learning with JustinGuitar. Itā€™s been a while since I wore a necktie, might have to wear one in a future recording.

2 Likes

Loved that strumming pattern in Watchtower James. Very cool. Good vocal too, there is some difficult phrasing in there.
One thing I would have look at James is your bpm. As the song progressed you sped up quite a bit. Listen to the first 20 seconds then fast forward to past halfway and youā€™ll hear what I mean.

2 Likes

@sairfingers Thanks for checking this one out too Gordon. I know how difficult it is these days with the multi-recording threads. Iā€™m really pleased to hear that you loved the strumming pattern and thought it was cool. Thatā€™s a good point on the tempo and something for me to smooth out on this song. In terms of further developing this cover Iā€™ve heard a few songs where they change tempo midway through the song for effect. Do you think it would be better to keep the same tempo all the way through or for example at the end of the second verse take a bar break with last line of vocals unaccompanied or that and then increase the tempo for the chorus for effect? I think thatā€™s the first musical question Iā€™ve asked on the forum.

Another good rendition, James! :clap:

Strumming sounded cool and solid, even with the tricky and fast chord changes in. Vocals were good as well and it felt, as you were in ā€œthe zoneā€ while recording.

If you want to make the tempo-change a stilistic trick, I would do as you suggest with the break. This should make it more ā€œobviousā€ and seemingly on purpose rather than being ā€œan accidentā€. Hope you get what I mean. :sweat_smile:

An plan on learning harmonica as well? :wink:

Thanks for sharing - youā€™re on a roll! :sunglasses:

1 Like

In most cases I think the bpm should remain the same throughout a song. However you can up the tempo (not the bpm) by speeding up the strum pattern by introducing more strums to the beat to give a chorus, for example, a different feel.
Itā€™s subjective of course but for this particular song I think the tempo should be constant throughout the song. Emphasising different parts of the strum pattern for different parts of the song would work though.

1 Like

@Lisa_S Thanks for checking this one out too Lisa. Yes, I find that to overcome the RLS I need to really zone out and just get my lost in the music. No plans to learn harmonica Iā€™m struggling enough learning to play guitar. Glad to hear that you thought it sounded cool as gives me hope that Iā€™ve got something decent to work with to improve.

@sairfingers thanks Gordon you know I value your opinion very much as youā€™ve given me lots of good advice over the last two years which Iā€™ve fully taken kn board. I got the change in tempo idea from this video but fully understand where youā€™re coming from my good friend. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

Nice one James. another good recording for 2 years.

I agree with this. Actually it was a bit more than sped up, Iā€™d call it tempo drift - micro speedups and slowdowns. My ears are attuned quite sensitively to it and I noticed it, so I started tapping along - and yep.

A good way to program yourself out of that is to play along to a drum track or metronome a LOT. And make sure your foot is going all the time.

Iā€™ve noticed this is usually done in a couple of ways - either a dramatic sudden change (e.g. double time or half time), or a gradual slowdown through a section, either to the end, or for drama, and then it continues - e.g. start a verse or chorus. Tempo drift is offputting, but the drama from a sudden and deliberate change can be quite useful.

An alternative effect you could use to change energy throughout a song is keeping the same tempo, but accentuating your strumming - e.g. strumming louder, but in the same tempo - which is hard! As most people speed up by default if they play with more energy. Or keeping the same tempo and switching to a more energetic strumming pattern even with a similar rhythmic feel, e.g. 8th notes to 16th notes.

1 Like

Well done James on your 2 year anniversary and the level of playing youā€™ve reached.
I enjoyed all the songs you posted and thought your vocals were really good too.

1 Like

Really enjoyed that!

1 Like

@jkahn Thanks for the listen and advice on the latest offering, Jk. I probably should have kept that one in the learning log. I do practice with a metronome, click track and backing tracks alot. Iā€™d practiced the BD version to metronome but then felt it was very plain without the harmonica and thought Iā€™d change it up to make it a bit more interesting to the listener. The drift is most likely having practiced to a certain tempo and then changing the way I play Iā€™m subconsciously drifting towards the original tempo and then trying to correct myself. In my head I see a deliberate change being interesting for the chorus. Youā€™ve given me lots to think about my good friend. Iā€™ll probably park this one to the side the now and let the feedback stew as I focus on improving my percussive strumming.

@prbushe thanks for listening and providing feedback on my recordings, Peter. Iā€™m really pleased to hear that you enjoyed them

@twistor59 thank for listening and providing feedback on my recordings, Phil. Iā€™m pleased to hear that you enjoyed them.

1 Like

I almost missed the Bob Dylan one here James. I always loved this song and you did a superb job on it. Your strumming has a really nice tone to it.

1 Like

@Eddie_09 itā€™s very easy these days to miss posts with the multi-recording threads. Thanks for checking it out, Eddie, and taking the time to comment. Glad you enjoyed this one, particularly the strumming on it.

1 Like

You have done so well in your two years of practice. I enjoyed listening to them and watching your chord changes and embellishments. You sounded great vocally too. Iā€™m terrible at giving tips and advice, but just wanted to give you feedback that you are doing incredible.

1 Like

@pkboo3 thank you very much Pam for given these recordings a listen and taken time to provide feedback. Itā€™s much appreciated. Yes, giving advice and tips can be rather difficult but words of encouragement are so beneficial too. So thank you for the words of support.

Enjoyed your rendition, James, great guitar tone, smooth chord work.

1 Like

Hi James,

Why does itā€¦ - Vocal and playing both very good.
Been a while since I heard this song. Indeed a long time since I heard any Travis. Might have to sing along to Sing. Banging tune.

Perfect Day - nice transitions between the strumming and picking. Nice job.

Watchtower - sounded good. I think for the timing Iā€™d record a bass line against a click track, then just have the bass line playing in the background and strum along to that whilst playing the acoustic for your performance.

Digger

Digger

1 Like

@DavidP thanks for checking out the recordings, David. Glad you enjoyed the renditions. I feel that I still need a bit more practice on Bm transitions but getting there gradually.

@Digger72 thanks for checking out the recordings, Stephen. Thatā€™s a good suggestion on recording and playing along with the bass line for watchtower. As for Travis, Iā€™ve actually got Sing on my list of songs to learn.

Hey James, catching up on the last week or so and noticed I hadnā€™t spotted these! First up congrats on your two year milestone, such a short space of time for the progress youā€™ve made and continue to make, hope you feel proud!!

3 nice recordings that showcase a lot of variety, Perfect Dayā€™s really nicely done, I also associate it with Trainspotting first and foremost :wink: All Along the Watchtower carries really nicely with the bass note picking and imo your best vocals on the three. Nice work across the board mate, good luck in year 3 :slight_smile: !

1 Like