Socio's Learning Log

Bravo on 3 years, and well done on the progress made, so good, my friend. Keep on picking!

1 Like

@roger_holland @beejay56 @Mari63 @Lisa_S @Stuartw @BurnsRhythm @TheMadman_tobyjenner @sairfingers @DavidP

Thanks you all for your kind words, support and encouragement over the years. It is a pleasure to be sharing this learning journey with this wonderful community.

Ask away my friend, I enjoy sharing any knowledge that I have gained on this journey where I can with the community and when I don’t know the answer I’ve learned from the responses provided by other community members.

That’s a good point as I’m slowly and steadily starting to see improvement being made in my general rhythm and soloing. Things that I’ve maybe put off thinking that’s too hard for me the now suddenly don’t seem as daunting.

Haha yeah I’d have preferred to have recorded it on the acoustic but it was getting late and I’d just finished a BLIM practice session and all I needed to do was plug the phone into the katana go to get a One Take Saturday Night recording :wink:

7 Likes

James, your Improv recording shows the progress you have made over the last 2 months of BLIM.

1 Like

James, happy 3rd guitar’versary. You are still making great progress in your playing. I enjoyed both the covers. The perfect day cover was great and made me go listen to the original on YouTube. Did you transcribe the piano parts from this or did you have TAB?

I liked both of your original songs and am impressed with the production quality. I hope that I can approach that in a couple of years.

Your Muddy Blues was good, but I think that adjusting the distortion tone to make it a little less buzzy (or fuzzy) and littler more crunchy or even a warm shade of muddy might sound a little better. But I understand this was a quick one off for this post and that you didn’t have the time to search for just the right tone.

1 Like

Thanks Steve. I learned perfect day at Jerry’s Guitar Bar. It’s a good song to work on strumming, picking individual strings and hybrid picking.

1 Like

Congrats on your 3rd Guitar’versary James! :partying_face::confetti_ball::tada::clinking_glasses::star_struck:

Good things come in small packages :wink: You’re progressing so well and just one Original is worth 100 covers! :100:

I found the Blues recording good, what I have noticed is that you were in the music with all your body and that made a difference!

1 Like

grazie mille silvia :smile: there’s something about fingerstyle pieces and solo blues pieces where you can just connect with the music and let the feeling come out in your playing.

2 Likes

James @Socio

I saw your LL when I was away on holiday and decided I would wait till I got back before responding, so here it is.

Three years, wow, as you say doesn’t time fly when you are enjoying yourself. Have you reached the stage where when somebody asks you how long you have been playing a guitar you have to give it a bit of thought.

I think the ups and downs are part of any learning that involves using your brain and manipulation both hands and fingers, at least its my excuse.

You sound that on the journey you are about where I am with the Grades and Fingerstyle (it makes a nice change from just strumming away doesn’t it)

BLIM, I was aware you had enrolled on this and what I can see as an outsider there is a lot time and input required, which as you say limits time for other things such as AVOYP. However, I have got to admire and applaud your efforts on original songs.

Roll on year four, all the best.

Michael

1 Like

Hey James, a very belated Happy Anniversary! :champagne: :tada: :piñata:
You’re a good egg and have acquired ‘Pilar status’ in the Community. (Is there a badge for that? :thinking:)
I’ve been here for twice as long, so am probably twice as good as you, but won’t rub your nose in it, as you might pick up a thing or two in that blimey thing :rofl:
Enjoyed the muddiness :smiley:
Here’s to the next three :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

@MAT1953

Thanks Michael. Yes, there is a lot of time and effort required for BLIM and I’m not really getting the time to focus on anything else but I have great expectation that the intermediate grades won’t be too challenging when I arrive there. I do miss a bit of fingerstyle and my acoustic guitar is starting to feel neglected but there will be plenty of time in year 4 for that.

1 Like

@brianlarsen

Thank you Brian. Not sure about ‘Pilar Status’ but I’m definitely catching up with you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Yeah, BLIM has been a blast and taught me a lot (not that it’s transpired to my fingers yet) but it has been a great experience not just in learning but meeting new people, friendships, banter etc.