Solo 1 - Still Got The Blues

Been working on different parts of Gary Mooreā€™s classic for a little while.
Got the chord progression down OK - just working on developing it to a performance level (which may still take a while :grinning:)
Following is a one take of the first solo ( minus the fast pentatonic run at the end - which Iā€™m still try to get under my fingers).
Feel Iā€™m getting pretty close here. Appreciate any tips and suggestions.

Cheers Shane

20 Likes

Sounded like performance level to me, niceley done!

Sounding really good there Shane, youā€™ve found a great tone as well. Tips ? Keep doing what you are doing as it seems working. Best of luck with the next bit, coz it all goes a bit mental !!
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Toby for the feedback. That ā€˜mentalā€™ pentatonic run just after? Got the notes down, so Iā€™m 10% there :crazy_face:. Not much room up there either :crazy_face:.

Cheers, Shane.

2 Likes

Hi Shane,
Keep it up, youā€™re doing a great jobā€¦I was pleasantly surprised :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

Hi Shane,

Love that song and those solos! Never get tired of listening to it :slight_smile:
I think youā€™re doing really great here. First thing I noticed what how accurate most of your bends are pitch wise. This is really absolutely a key element of playing this solo. If those notes are not bend up exactly to pitch it can become really painful to listen to. The only exception was the very last bend (which I could see on your face that you registered yourself as well :)). But bending to pitch is very difficult, so a really great job there!!

Your phrasing is a little bit ā€œeagerā€ā€¦ Gary plays the melody lines a bit more laid back on the beat. One easy way to listen for that in a recording youā€™ve done is to slow it down a bit (YouTube can offer 0.5 speed, but using something like Transcribe is even better IMO because then you can take it down to perhaps 85% or 75%, which I feel is even better for this test). But anyway, try slowing the audio down, play it, close your eyes and really listenā€¦ then youā€™ll hear right away if your timing is how you want it. In this case I think youā€™ll clearly hear that you ā€œjump the gunā€ a little bit on the phrases, which are otherwise played quite wellā€¦ Just a little tip/feedback :slight_smile:

Great stuff,
Kasper

EDIT: Turns out YouTube can do 75% as well, so there you go :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Shane - you are making great progress. Way beyond my play grade to give you any meaningful feedback. You got some excellent feedback from Kasper. I look forward to following your progress with the solos.

1 Like

Lovely work Shane, that first note doesnā€™t half grab you!

Like James this is way beyond my skill to offer anything meaningful other than to give a :+1:

What I notice Shane is how much keener your ear is. Youā€™ve developed the ability to hear, really hear what youā€™re playing and in a nanosecond or less to make the fine adjustments needed to make it pitch perfect. It seems to me that youā€™ve awakened an ability in yourself and given it life. Magic.

1 Like

Nothing to say except really well played!

1 Like

My oh my, Shane, that is sounding fabulous. Beyond my play-grade to offer tips on the playing.

Tone wise, sounded really good, perhaps tinker with the tone knob, maybe roll off a smidge if it is full on. Watching Gary Moore he makes fine adjustments to the tone and vol knobs on and off through these solos,

1 Like

Thanks Kasper. Really appreciate your comments mate, and the specific feedback on the phrasing. Will work on that one straight away.
Agree, this is a masterpiece by Gary Moore, and everytime I hear it, its like the first time again. And that second ( lonnngggg) solo is one of the greatest in music history.

Cheers, Shane

Much appreciated Maggie. All that ear training Justin has drilled into me may be just starting to sink in :rofl:

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thanks Roger. Much appreciated. I was pleasantly surprised too that I got it first take. :grin: Thats a first.

Cheers, Shane

Thanks Alexis. Much appreciated mate.

Cheers, Shane

Thanks David for your kind words. Much appreciated mate.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Very nice - really accurate bends, awesome jobā€¦Looking forward to the next bit!

Wow Shane you are a brave man tackling this solo, kudos! Are you planning to learn the solo after all the lyrics as well?

I think Kasperā€™s feedback gave you all the pieces you need to build up on, I think the more you play it the more relaxed you will become and it will sound less eager as Kasper called it :grinning: to me sounded great and you are on a great path!

Youtube offers increments of 0.05x from I think 0.1 to 0.95, under custom speed :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s super. Itā€™s a fav song of mine, Iā€™m impressed.

1 Like

Thanks Adrian. Much appreciated. Yes, Iā€™ve started tackling the framework of that 2nd solo. Going to take some considerable development and time though for that one. :crazy_face:
Apart from being great song, the real benefit Iā€™m finding is the teaching power of these great solos. Similar with some Peter Green solos.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes