Songs For Module 5

Hey Villster .
You can find get lucky by going to your practice routine for lesson 5 . Then go to the songs 10 minute workout . There is a button under the metronome saying show video . Get lucky is the 3rd song .
Hope i helped you !
Cheers .

2 Likes

Just had my first AHA! moment while playing along on the app to Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky” (at 60% speed, but still :grin:) - for the first time, it felt like my fingers just naturally “hooked up” to the right strings as I switched chords. It just felt like they knew which string was which! Such a tiny thing but it put a massive smile on my face. Really falling in love with this instrument :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

@mrsbot

You have broken through a barrier and developed some muscle memory! :slight_smile: What a great moment. Believe it or not, you will continue to have those for as long as you play and learn.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

3 Likes

That’s a cool feeling, you are definitely right to document it and celebrate the accomplishment. I don’t think it’s a tiny thing at all!

2 Likes

After grafting through Dm in Module 4 it’s such a thrill to hit a Module where you get to play Black and the riff from Come As You Are. I can see myself sticking with this Module for a bit as Pearl Jam and Nirvana are two of my favourite bands :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m young and know the Beatles. I just don’t like them :wink:

1 Like

Hello @ccaf and welcome to the Community.

If you’re young and know The Beatles then someone somewhere has helped rear your properly!! :wink:

Seriously, even if you think you may not like their music - and this goes for any artist - learning to play their songs can be invaluable in widening your skills on guitar nad your general appreciation of how music works.

| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

I don’t understand what to do with the Elenore Rigby link and how to play along with it. It’s only 30 seconds long and there is no accompanying TAB. ???

1 Like

Hi, I have a question: how do I know if I can play along with the original record of a song? For example, if I look for Get lucky chords, there are many options: Justin’s app says Am, C, Em, D (no capo); but I found another two tutorial/tabs where the chords are respectively Am, C, Em, D with the capo on the 2nd fret and Bm7, D, F#m7, E (no capo).
So now I’m playing the song over the video you can find in the practice routine, but what chords do I use if I want to practice on the original song?
Justin always stresses the position of the capo and the chords in his tutorials, so it’s a big deal and I don’t want to do something wrong… I’m also concerned about other songs, since I don’t have the premium access to the app and sometimes the original record is everything I can practice on. Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Like

Hey Biagio,

Those two alternatives you found are equivalent, since Am with capo on 2 is the same as Bm (although the 2nd version uses minor 7 chords, while the first doesn’t). I don’t use Justin’s app, but I think I’ve read here that the app versions are sometimes simplified. So, my guess is that Am, C, Em, D with capo 2 probably conforms to the original.

You can probably just try them both with the original recording and your ears will probably tell you which one is right.

1 Like

Top Tip @Manos98

Kudos and good vibes.

Take away the 7 from those chords and they are identical in function just raised up two semitones.

Am + 2 semitones = Bm
C = 2 semitones = D
Em + 2 semitones = F#m
D + 2 semitones = E

The original song is played using only barre chords much further along the neck so no capo is required.
Justin is teaching a simplified version accessible to beginners to give a fun song to learn and play.

Hope that helps.
| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

Manos,

Thanks for the tip. I had earlier decided Get Lucky was not available and had added other songs to the Module 5 practice list and had deleted the 10 minute practice item. I finally found that I could delete the edited routine and add back from the Module 5 practice routine and was happy to see that Get Lucky was available from inside the 10 minute song practice. There are not many songs that have a C chord and not a G chord so every new song is helpful.

1 Like

I wanted to add a word of encouragement to anyone who is discouraged by the number of songs with just a C chord and any of the A, D, E, Am, Dm or Em chords. Most songs with a C chord usually require a G or F chord, which will be taught in later modules (the G in the next module). In the classic course, C and G were taught together and the Beginner books 1 and 2 songs for this level all use C and G with just a couple of exceptions. But I understand the advantages in dividing up the lessons in smaller increments. So this is a good time to add songs from the previous modules. When you learn G in the next module, you will suddenly have so many songs to choose from that you will have to do like me and keep working on those songs in next module after learning G (Module 7, which doesn’t introduce new chords).

3 Likes

Hi all, i need some help.
Should I use only down strumming with songs? There is nothing about strumm pattern in the song app? I feel confused and dont know how to continue my guitar journey?

1 Like

Hi Irek!
If you are comfortable with only down strumming (on all beats of the bar) and have no issues with the timing of your chord changes then I’d say there’s no issues with starting to bring in some strumming patterns.
The app is really guiding you to where the chord change happens so don’t feel restricted to just where the chord is shown on the play through.
Hope that helps a little and good luck!

1 Like

@kopcikx This should help.

3 Likes

There is some rough guidance on a suggested strumming pattern in the app…read this topic:

1 Like

Some songs have specific strumming patterns. If Justin has a lesson on the song that you’re learning then its worth checking them out starting off with the basic pattern he teaches in the song lesson.

Just looking back at the content of Module 5 and one lesson sticks out to me which is all about exploring strumming. By this module you would have learned the basics of 8th note strumming. So if there is no song lesson then you could use the songs on the app to revisit the strumming patterns taught in the course so far as well as explore new ones. The lesson posted above by @stitch is very good. A good exercise is to put the song on, mute the strings and strum along feeling the rhythm. Remember if it sounds good its good, if it sounds rubbish then just don’t use that strumming pattern for that specific song.

1 Like

Thank you all for replies. This is truly great comunity!

1 Like