Songs For Module 8

3am by Matchbox Twenty uses the 3&4 stuck chords and with a couple of easy little flourishes it can really come together quite nicely and not be too hard to play

So to pass Module 8, the criteria is to play two songs that use the Stuck3&4 chords. Iā€™m using the app and the Green Day Good Riddance song just has a strum pattern of down down down down. However, Justin has a separate video for this song that teaches the actual strum pattern mixed with some picking. Also, thereā€™s a discrepancy between the chords used. In the app, it says to use Csus2 but in Justinā€™s youtube video, he uses Cadd9. Which version of the song should I be able to play in order to move on from Module 8? Obviously the app version is easier, but the youtube version is the actual strum and picking patternā€¦Thanks in advance

Hi Jude and welcome to the Community! For Module 8 definitely go with the app, picking pattern is way too difficult so early on.

In the meantime why not introduce yourself in a relevant section? :wink: take care and see you sometime hopefully here! #community-hub:introduce-yourself

1 Like

Thank you, good to know! I was worried Iā€™d be stuck in Module 8 forever haha

1 Like

The picking pattern would be too hard but the chords from the video lesson would make more sense - Cadd9 is one of the stuck chords from the lesson. At least thatā€™s what I did at that stage.

Just strum it to the rhythm instead.

Personally I think using C instead of Cadd9 sounds better for the Em part. Thatā€™s how a few chord sheets around the net have it.

3 Likes

Hey yā€™all. I think ā€œCollideā€ by Howie Day might be another good one for stuck 3&4 chords. Itā€™s got the G, a D/F# that goes to a Dsus4/F#, Em7, and C9. Those 4 chords cover both the verse and chorus.

And then the only other chords you need in the bridge are just Em, C, and D!

Run Around by Blues Traveler sounds nice with a big G.

Hi Justin!

A song Iā€™d wholly love to recommend and hope to see added on the site someday is Boxing Day - blink-182, I found that it makes use of the lesser used 3&4 chords and is just a lovely melody.

As always, thank you for being an amazing teacher. Cheers!

Hi Rithik,
https://www.justinguitar.com/songs#requests-board

Here you can vote or add a new song,ā€¦(Ever thought about ā€¦Mark knopfler- local hero song :laughing:),ā€¦Have fun, :wink:

And Nick @nickfred ,ā€¦welcome here,and have fun :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

We are never ever getting back together by Taylor Swift is another great song that uses the stuck 3&4 chords.

the 2 note and the 9 note are the same note in the C maj scale (D). So both notations are synonyms. wink.

Talkinā€™ 'bout a Revolution by Tracy Chapman. G Cadd9 Em7 D Dsus4 D. Locks down the stuck 3&4. Gives the pinky work out.
Might also start a Revolution. At least we can hope.

1 Like

And ā€œLight Enough to Travelā€ by the Be good Tanyas. Two chord song. teaches the hands well. G Cadd9.

In the app, it says to use Csus2 but in Justinā€™s youtube video, he uses Cadd9

A sus 2 and add 9 chord are not the same. Sus(suspended) chords by definition have no 3rd. The 3rd is replaced by a 2nd or 4th so is neither Major or minor . An add 9 chord is a Major chord with the 9th(2nd) degree of the scale added. The reason itā€™s called a Add 9 is the 2nd of the next octave is the note usually added.

1 Like

I stand corrected. I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying that for us.

Looking at Good Riddance by Green Day in the app. Thereā€™re chords like D, EM, G, etc. Do I assume we just play the stuck 3&4 chords? i.e.for EM we play E min7? For G we play big G or rock G. For D we play Dsus4? And for C we play Cadd9?
Thanks,
Mike

Itā€™s one of the examples where Justinā€™s song lesson and the chords the app lists donā€™t really sync exactly.

In the song lesson Justin suggests using stuck 3 & 4 grips for G and C and standard open grips for Em and D (while including the hint that adding sus2 and sus4 embellishments over D might be worth trying out).

Interestingly the app suggests using G, Csus2, D and Em instead. The app offers various backing tracks, among them a click track as well.

I havenā€™t tested it myself yet, but I think that playing the stuck 3 & 4 grips for G and C and using standard open grips for D and Em will work just fine, when playing along to the backing tracks on the app.

Hello, the video attached to the songs practice module (L8 Songs using Stuck 3 & 4 chords!) does not have any audio. Where can I report this to get it fixed?

Hi @Iodine, Are you referring to the module on the website? How are you viewing it - computer, tablet, phone? I have audio for module on both my computer and my phone (iPhone). Forgive me if you already have done this, but you might check your computer to ensure the sound is not muted or turned down, that the audio is directed to the correct speakers, that there are no headphones connectedā€¦that sort of thing.

I am referring to the practice routine that is included in this module. It has a video attached that goes through a couple of songs but it does not have any audio (I have already confirmed itā€™s the video itself). @judi