Songs Missing from App

I’m very upset that half the songs I’ve been practicing for 6+ months have disappeared from the app. I paid for a one-year subscription. Is anyone else having this problem? Here’s the thread of my communications with JustinGuitar:

Musopia Support Team (Musopia)

Jul 4, 2022, 15:56 GMT+3

Hi Craig,

We’re really sorry that a collection of songs are missing from the songplayer at this moment in time. We’ve refreshed our song catalogue & licensing to help us improve the module songs and to be able to add even more songs to the app in future.

We will try our hardest to get the song/songs added back to the Justin Guitar app. However, licensing is a very complex process within the music industry and we cannot promise that the (song/songs) will be added back to the app. Similarly to how a tv streaming service operates, our songplayer catalogue is always evolving to ensure that we can include a larger library and that our users are always provided with fresh and engaging content.

We are scheduled to add hundreds of songs to the app in the very near future and we have already replaced some of the older tracks with 400 new rock songs. Following this, we have implemented plans to add large batches of country & pop songs to the app every 2 weeks increasing the overall song library.

We hope you can understand and that you enjoy the hundreds of songs that are available to you. Please ensure that your push notifications are active so that you are informed when new songs are ready to learn and rock out to!

If you’d like to request that your favourite (song/songs) are added to the app, we take song suggestions on our Upvoty board and you can post them here… Login

Best wishes
George
Musopia

Jul 2, 2022, 21:39 GMT+3

Fourth & fifth songs from my practice routine are also missing—“Bye Bye Love” and “Ain’t No Sunshine.” That’s almost half of my practice routine mysteriously gone missing from the app.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 2, 2022, at 11:22 AM, Craig Noble wrote:

The song “Wish You Were Here” has also gone missing from the app.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 2, 2022, at 11:12 AM, Support <justin.ios.feedback@musopia.net> wrote:

Jul 2, 2022, 21:33 GMT+3

And the song “Ripple” is gone too. These are all songs that I play everyday day as part of my practice routine using the Justin Guitar app.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 2, 2022, at 11:22 AM, Craig Noble wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

Jul 2, 2022, 21:23 GMT+3

Sent from my iPhone

Jul 2, 2022, 21:12 GMT+3

Hello. I’ve been using a one-year subscription to Justin Guitar’s beginner course. This morning my list of songs that I practice disappeared. I have to search by title all over again, and at least one song, “Three Little Birds,” has completely disappeared from your app. What’s going on? Please help. -Craig Noble

version: 3.2.0, OS: iOS 15.5, device: iPhone13,2,
access: Premium, mode: Assess, id: 6d32407fbacd220d0e78a26b5058ec36

By contacting Musopia customer services you are agreeing upon associating your email address with application data for the purpose of handling your feedback/support request.

Craig - please see this topic with replies from Justin and from Musopia.
Richard
:slight_smile:

Hi Craig, you may also want to remove from this post your email address to avoid it getting picked up by some spam bots.

My list of Songs that I practice have disappeared as well and I also pay for the App. The response to these post seem to indicate in a round about way " your out of luck. This is a real "Bummer "to what has otherwise been a good experience.

1 Like

I have done that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I succeeded in deleting my email address. Thanks for suggesting it.

1 Like

The fact that a lot of the key songs are missing, songs that Justin himself has lessons about them( wish you were here, three litlte birds, etc), is simpli unacceptable. Musopia should fix this imediatly.

@Torm3ntor, I understand your frustration, but if you review the other threads on this topic, you would know that this has nothing to do with Musopia or Justin and they cannot fix it immediately at your request.

This was an abrupt and unexpected change directed by a music licensing company (or what ever group controls the use of these songs).

Every indication is that Musopia is doing everything it can to try and negotiate the return of these songs, all while also adding many new ones as previously planned.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of music that is not in the public domain. Therefore, Musopia, Justin, you and I only get to use it at the owner’s whim.

3 Likes

@craigjnoble

Hi and thanks for sharing your response. I had been struggling with power chords and was starting to get the hang of Rolling in the Deep by Adele, but so far this was the only one I was really missing. So glad they got back to you, and looking forward to all the new songs and hopefully some of the old ones.

Yeh i just noticed that Pearl Jam’s Black is missing also. And a couple of others and some have returned go figure.
Don’t wanna be a whining crybaby but you guys should realize that all these songs are also on youtube for free with playthroughs, cords ,tabs etc.
Why pay if what you want isn’t there?

Did the songs that reappeared automatically make it back on your favorites list? Or did you find them after running another search?

I’m not trying to be dramatic, but this whole situation has really stalled my progress. For eight months I practiced religiously 60+ minutes a day, and I was making real progress.

Since half the songs I was practicing have disappeared from the app, I have grown depressed and unmotivated. I’ve practiced only two or three times and only for 30 minutes. I’m sure part of the problem was becoming too dependent on the app in the first place, but as a total beginner to playing any instrument at all, I really need the structure. That’s what I thought I was paying for.

Another part of the problem is that I just don’t have time to find new learning resources right now. I have time to practice or time to go hunting the web for other videos, tutorials, etc. But not both. I did a LOT of research trying to find the best available resource for my learning style. Until recently, I was EXTREMELY SATISFIED with the JustinGuitar app. Now I’m very doubtful and uncertain about my learning path.

Maybe it’s time to try a lesson with an in-person instructor, although I purchased the app because I can’t really afford that.

I’m especially bummed about Wish You Were Here. I had already been practicing it, and then I was so excited when I started Module 8 to see there’s a better way to play it with the riff and stuck 3&4 chords. I dutifully switched from a thin to medium pick like Justin recommended. I never got to practice the whole song that way because it disappeared from the app a few days later.

Some people have pointed out that music licensing is only so much under Musopia’s control. That may be true, but these songs must be licensed by many, many other entities. How come they’re not having the same problem?

The lessons still exist on the website and are free. It is just the app that they have been removed from.

Yes, but I use the app to help me play along. The ability to slow down the tempo when you’re learning new chord changes is especially helpful.

Understand, however I am just trying to provide you an interim solution to keep you playing. You can also slow down the lesson and playthrough in youtube, by clicking on the cog.
Not ideal but a workaround.

Thanks. I’ll try it. :smile:

Thanks for clarifying

Hi Craig
I feel your pain. I just read a the email threads which have answered all my own questions. I teach older guitar students ina volunteer capacity and I have been working through the app and encouraged all my students to purchase it. It’s has been fantastic up until all my most used songs disappeared! They are all beginner players so I’ve had to also search for replacement songs too. And it seems all my absolute favorites are the ones missing which is quite funny - NOT. Can I suggest that you complement the Justin app with a YouTube channel called Munson Guitar. He has very simple versions of lots of songs and the notes are all written there to follow. He doesn’t play overly fast either. I use both him and Justin. Justin’s app is certainly the best on the market. I’m a also a school music teacher so I know a fantastic teaching tool when I see one. I would give Justin A plus for his teaching methods in the modules.
Liz

1 Like

Thank you. This is super helpful. I must admit to feeling quite demoralized. I practiced an hour daily using Justin’s app for six months and was making steady progress. In the last six weeks I’ve only practiced 2-3 times per week for 30-40 minutes and am making NO progress. It’s especially frustrating since I had been so excited about switching from cowboy chords to the stuck 3-4 chords with the riff in “Wish You Were Here,” and then the song disappeared from the app. I need to be able to slow the tempo when I’m learning new chord changes:

@craigjnoble I had exactly the same issue as you, it was very disheartening. I have bought the Justin Guitar beginner’s song book (vol 1 and more recently vol2) and a lot (not all) of the missing songs from the app are in the book. I find it easier to learn them from the book now as the chords are written down. If I am a bit stuck,the video lessons for the songs are still on the website. I must admit I hardly use the app now as being an older player I haven’t heard of most of the new songs on the app. I also find that the website is better for lessons as there is the written detail underneath the video. Not sure I will be renewing my subscription to the app as it has little value to me now the songs I knew and was learning have gone.

As I started to prep my learning log update for my upcoming one year anniversary post I noticed that I moved on from the app as a learning resource after Grade 2 Module 8. My view is don’t become dependent on an application that tells you when and what chords to play for a song. Your just cheating yourself, none of the guitarist that you like learned that way. I found that I made more progress watching song lesson videos and preparing my own song books and practicing with backing tracks. As for slowing Tempo you can do that on YouTube. I use software that I purchased to slow the speed down and also to remove the guitar when I’m ready to play along with just the drums, bass etc. I wished I had done that earlier in my learning journey.