Songs to sing and play to young grandchildren

Hey Groovers, Iā€™m looking for songs to play and sing to grandkids around the age of 3, Iā€™m thinking already of songs like the theme song to Bluey and Let it go from Frozen, Iā€™m sure you have favourites? :smiley:

1 Like

Beatles!
I assume you think Iā€™m joking. But Iā€™m not.
Thatā€™s what I played for my boy when he was 3. For that matter, I played that for him prenatal. I wanted him to be hip to good music when he was young.
It didnā€™t work though. Heā€™s 35 now and the music he listens to is not what Iā€™d call music. But I tried.
fwiw, I can remember back in 4th or 5th grade. Granted I was older than 3, but still pretty young in them grades. The teachers at school taught us yellow submarine while the teacher played his electric guitar. I thought that was just too cool.

Have fun with whatever you choose to play for them.

1 Like

My nephews and nieces loved this song when they were little.

Jack Johnson did a version for the Curious George movie.

4 Likes

You could always do a cover of one of the recordings posted in the original section of the forum. Iā€™m sure kids would love this and Dan has posted the chords and lyrics. The Little Coconut Song

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking that there is very little Justin doesnā€™t have in his bag of guitar stuff.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, just bought the bundle!!!

2 Likes

Hi Tony!

You could give ā€œMary had a little lambā€ a goā€¦ā€¦

SRV Style:

:smile::joy::rofl:

Tod

4 Likes

wow! great version.

Hi Tony,
I think this is one of the sweetest songs :smiley:ā€¦ quite a difficult one but you can probably adapt it, I have no idea if this is understandable for a three year old , but by the time this goes super well they will be a bit older :grin:

Have fun playing for them :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Tod

Awesome: different class!!

Brian

1 Like

Hey @tony. Iā€™m planning to play this beautiful Irish traditional song for my grandson on his upcoming third birthday. There are many covers, but I like this one. You can play easy strummed version or play it fingerstyle, which Iā€™m working on now.

Hereā€™s a tab. Of course you will have to prepared to explain to the grandkids what what the ā€œbracken is gold in the sunā€ means.

1 Like

Yo gabba gabba is a show that had a ton of music blues and jazz from many great bands. Really good stuff. Mark Mothersbough from the bamd Devo was a member of the Production and Direction team, he also did a drawing and music segment on the show each week.

Here is a kid friendly setlist of music from spotify

with many artists with the music they performed on the show as well as the music from the show.

My kid grew up with yo gabba gabba, she loved it. Itā€™s not on any more. It was so hip and cool.

You certainly can find something from the list to play and sing.

Or you could be hardcore and just sing

Mother by Danzig.

Oh yeah

1 Like

Thanks all for the great answers

I play these songs for my son, he loves it. Very simple tunes, easy to sing as well for kids.

1 Like

Hello Tony,
if your grandchildren are that young I suggest shorter and repetitive tunes so that they can join and sing.

Justinā€™s books might be what you need. Have you thought about the Uke?

Yep, these were mentioned earlier in the thread and I have bought both the guitar and uke version. I have a uke in the house and love it for kids as itā€™s so easy for them to grab

1 Like

Hot Potato by The Wiggles.

You might even learn the dance that goes with it!

its a fun little song. would be honored and happy if you played it!
danny

I took a different tack with my kids when they were young. I knew they would be exposed to lots of kidsā€™ songs from TV, school, etc, most of it (letā€™s admit it) not great music. So, I decided that as long as I had them as a captive audience (usually a bedtime lullaby situation), I would sing them songs that I liked and that I thought were worth knowing. So, I sang them a bunch of early Dylan songs.

To this day, among my 22 year-old daughterā€™s favorite songs is ā€œBoots of Spanish Leatherā€. Mission accomplished!

1 Like