Squealies that squeal

Congratulations :wink: Had to look up what pinch harmonics exactly are. I found an article with several types of harmonics and the one I managed to play (apart from the 12th fret ones) is the “tapped” variety. Took only about 10 minutes to figure out. You should try that one too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:beers: :beers: :fireworks: You first is always special

1 Like

This is a good image, when you play an open or fretted string normally you are hearing the fundamental/open note. Harmonics are just exploiting other wavelength cycles that fit on that frequency length. So open string 12th fret harmonics would be the 1/2 wavelength one octave up note.

Your typical pinch harmonic will be 1/3 or 1/4 waves so you should be able to work out where this is on the string so you know where to pick 0 this will change from open strings to fretted notes.

1 Like

I could get the higher pitches, they were just really quiet, teasing me :joy:

1 Like

That’s the easy bit for me (I’ve got a degree in physics). I know how the work, it was just getting them to sound loud that was my issue.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve done some of the others but I need these for a solo I’d like to learn. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s when it happens by accident that it’s fun, and sometimes you can’t stop doing them.

A fair bit of gain, and a bridge pickup help.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Applied Physics !

2 Likes

Haha, thanks Liz. I never even heard of pinch harmonics.
I googled it and the first video suggestion was- yes, you guessed it- Mr. Sandercoe.
I ignored his suggestion of going and learning about harmonics first, watched up to the slo-mo section and had a go…
Jakers! There was a high-pitchy sound indeed. I just saw Keith’s remark and turned up the gain.
Goodness gracious! There was a squealie right there.
I’ll never use one in my life, but you guys saved me 10 hours if I ever change my mind :rofl:

2 Likes

You can ‘blend’ how much squeel you get so it ends up being a nice highlite for some solo stuff

2 Likes

… which is why I’ll never need it :laughing:

Bring a new flavour to strumming some folk songs too?

1 Like

Holy moly, I can bend a squealie :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, see they’re cool :sunglasses::guitar:

1 Like

There had to be a use for it somewhere :rofl:

1 Like

Oh no, I think I’ll be heading off down another rabbit hole later today. I am aware of the sound of PHs but having only recently been able to find and to some degree use “normal” harmonics I have not pinched myself yet.

Chasing Rabbits

All this excitement has got me in the mood to get a bit giddy myself later today. If its enticed Mr L to abuse the Hagstrom, well its just got to be done.

Big congrats Liz on your achievement !

:sunglasses:

Cat

1 Like

I’m loving the idea that just because I’ve mentioned them people have been reminded of their existence and will be squealing all over the place. This is all because me and jam buddy had a go at Bon Jovi’s Wanted Dead or Alive and I happened to say to my teacher, “so… how hard is the solo?….”

1 Like

Personally, I do use them occasionally for funsies. In my recent Layla noodle I chucked some in just after the 3:16 mark.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Grow a beard, and you could be the next Billy Gibbons LOL! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Easier for me to do squealies than grow a beard :joy: