Strumming SOS course - what is it? Should I subscribe?

I am still not sure how this course looks like. Can you desgribe me lets say the lesson two and can you add it in the practice routine?

Roland @Rolandson
I presume you have signed up for the course in which case it only starts to come into use in lesson 10.

Does this answer you question?
Michael :question:

No did not signed up. Iā€™m still thinking if I need it. After lifetime theory course, all the apps, justin tabs and the biginner course book, dvds and a few song books should I buy another course

Roland @Rolandson
I obviously canā€™t make that decision for you but I have just started Grade 2 but was not happy with my strumming. Only got the course a few days ago and already see for me it is going to be very helpful. It puts strumming in a logical sequence rather than interspaced in the various modules of the main course.
There is a 30 day money back option so you can try it and see what is like.
Michael

1 Like

I am going to sign up for the course. 30 days money back option is great.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Grade 1 Test! Ready to Pass?

sorry if this was already mentioned somewhere else but does this new course includes everything that was in RUST 1 and 2? or will those remain as additional material?

@pozz
The quick answers is no, Grade 1 does not cover, all of Rust 1 and 2
later grades may but there are still things not in grade 2 and grade 3 is not available yet.
Michael

I bought the original DVD version of the course and went through it a while back.

I recently purchased ā€œStrumming SOSā€ and finally went through it.

I wasnā€™t sure if it would be new material for me, and it wasnā€™t. However, I really think it was good for me to do it.

First, strumming, well, timing, is a weak point for me. The new course is very well put together, Justin is great as always, and although much of it was previously covered, it is organized a bit better and was so good to review. I feel revitalized to work in this sticky issue more specifically.

Second, even if it was similar to a course I have already purchased, it is a valuable update and I have no problem essentially donating a bit more to Justin for the opportunity to solidify my game. Certainly, in spite of several donations and a bunch of purchases, I have more than gotten my moneyā€™s worth in the two years I have been here. I probably should (and will) donate more (I donate each spring).

Yesterday I went ahead and bought grade 2, the strumming dynamics. I am not ready to start yet, but am really looking forward to it.

4 Likes

There wasnā€™t anything in this course i didnā€™t know already itā€™s good for people in their first 3 months of playing or something.
I have been leaning for 3 decades on and off so Iā€™ve literally seen videos lessons like this a million times already so not for me but there is definitely an audience for it.
I will be waiting for the other 2 courses hope they bring something new.

Edit: One thing to add especially for new players is that the metronome is incredibly boring
(i fall asleep in like 20 seconds playing to a metronome) i would highly recommend to play with a drum track or drum machine or some looper pedal with build in drums itā€™s a lot more fun and actually sounds like your playing music, and itā€™s function is exactly that of a metronome.
Just make sure you donā€™t pick one with drum fills etc. that can mess you up in the beginnings, just use a steady 4/4 beat (like a metronome)

I reckon I am a reasonable intermediate player, but my rhythm guitar/strumming is not good enough. I didnā€™t learn anything particularly new from the first module, but it was useful to work through it, and I should practise more with a metronome. One of my objectives is to be able to play Scottish/Irish folk songs that require fast, steady strumming, often not in 4/4 time. At this time of year, Fairy Tale of New York is a good example, keeping up with that with ease would be a good target, but even faster would be useful. I am hoping the next couple of modules will cover that kind of thing, and not limit fast strumming to funk, although that would be interesting too.

One other point - I have not participated in this forum before and it is not immediately obvious to me how you go about posting a comment. Do I click on the button that says ā€˜Replyā€™? I hope this works ā€¦

2 Likes

Ken @KenfaeBern

First of all welcome to the community.:+1:
In answer to you last para, there are three ways to respond.
Using this

directs the response to the user but we can all see it.

This one

Is more of general reply which we can all see.

The third way is a private message using this

only the individual will get this as an email and nobody else will see it.

Hope that helps
Michael

Thanks Michael for your help; I can certainly see how to communicate, although it is not clear what the difference is between the first two ā€˜Replyā€™ options that you mention, and other than in your screenshot, I donā€™t see where this ā€˜Messageā€™ option is. And is this conversation only going on under ā€˜Grade 1 Ready to Passā€™ or is it visible on other forums?

Hi Ken - The reply option next to the heart symbol gives a targeted response (i.e. it notifies the person that you have responded to their comment). The big orange response option at the bottom just provides a non-targeted response. The only people that will get notification of the response being made is the topic owner and those with the topic set to ā€œwatchingā€.

Ken @KenfaeBern

The way I use reply is as follows
If I am replying to a specific point a person has made then I use the grey version.
If I am replying to the topic in general then I use the orange one.

If you click the avatar, of the person you want to message then you will see the button . I will send you a PM shortly let me know if you get it.

Any more queries let me know.

Michael

Iā€™m going to look into providing some 5 minute drum grooves for each pattern! Fine idea! :slight_smile: J

1 Like

You did indeed post :slight_smile: itā€™s all working.

We get into 6:8 in the dynamics module - might explore some others in Grade 3 - working on the plans and scripts for that one now!

This would be very cool, thank you! I found/find it difficult to use a drum beat as a metronome, I have no experience with it and it seems a bit disorienting to me. As part of the course, it would introduce me to it in a controlled way.

For those who feel the strumming course was ā€œnothing newā€, I would postulate that although the information is not earth shattering, it is the course that guides you on an organized progression to work on something very fundamental and most likely often ignored.

I have found it very helpful. Just setting me on a guided path through the first grade (which was repetition for me) and more challenging than expected in the early part of the second grade.

I think there is a large difference between understanding that there are a lot of different ways to strum and being able to strum several patterns in a coherent and musical way. I have a ways to go!

This is from someone mostly looking at classical and finger-style. Stimming is not my plan, but I think I best be good at it.

1 Like

Thanks for that explanation David. Like many here, Iā€™ve just finished Grade 1 of the beginner course, and will be working on memorizing 5 songs so working on improving my strumming (so that itā€™s less clunky and can be done without too much thinking) will be helpful for consolidating all the techniques taught in that course, and working on the finer details.

Iā€™m looking forward to going through this course along with Ear Training & Practical Musical Theory while I digest Grade 1 and work on my songs before beginning Grade 2.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great point Joshua! Just having completed Grade 1, I understand strumming, and can keep a steady basic strumming pattern going but itā€™s still a conscious effort and if I want to change strumming patterns mid-song like in some of the songs Iā€™m learning, I will lose everything. So hoping that this course will give me a focused approach to practicing and solidifying my strumming skills and learning new patterns.