Suzanne from Indiana

I got my first guitar when I was around the age of 15.
I took a few lessons but was frustrated with it. Looking back now I realize that at that age I was just too impatient and not very studious at all.

I just turned 40 now and decided I would bring out my guitar again and try to learn. My interest at the moment really lies in learning metal/rock/grunge but I also would enjoy classical/folk/Celtic guitar. Right now I’m playing with a Fender Stratocaster.

I also have dabbled with other instruments over time. Piano, Harp, Hammered Dulcimer, and Tin Whistle.

6 Likes

Hi @suzieq !
Welcome to the community

Good to read you like to explore.
Good news; there is A LOT to explore :wink:

2 Likes

Hi SuzieQ, did you play bass in the past :woozy_face:
OK let’s get serious now, Welcome to the community, you have come to a great place for help, support and encouragement, there are lots of community members who will listen and advise especially if you share some of your music on the Audio/Video of you playing (AVOYP) section!
Take a good look around, get a feel for the place and join in.

2 Likes

Thank you for the welcome! I’m happy to see so many other people interested in learning guitar because when I tried learning when I was young I was on my own. I think if I had been in Band or known other musical people it would it have helped.

2 Likes

Nope haven’t played bass in the past. Thank you for the welcome! I can’t wait to really dig in and immerse myself in practicing.

1 Like

I was having a little joke, you’re not really old enough to remember Suzi Quatro aka SuziQ; don’t take too much notice of me, I’m crazy :joy::joy::joy: Rock Legend Suzi Quatro Plays Her Favorite Bass Riffs - YouTube

2 Likes

I have heard of her but never placed a face with the name.
People usually think of “ Oh Susanna!” When it comes to my name. However, I like “ Wake Up Little Susie” by the Everly Brothers and “Suzie Q” by CCR.

1 Like

Welcome @suzieq Nice breadth of musical interest, metal to folk to Every Brothers! You will not run out of interesting songs to lean and play.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community Suzie.:smiley:
What fine eclectic taste in music you have. As others have said, nothing but support and encouragement here. Just shout when ever you need help.

Cheers

Toby

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I figure it helps as a musician to listen to a variety of music even if it’s not necessarily what you personally adore. Each of my friends here in Indy listens to different music than me and that really helps me be open to other genres. Thank you for the welcome!

Hi! Thank you for the welcome and reminding me to ask for help. I need all the help I can get as a beginner!

1 Like

Very entertaining, Darrell. I’m going to have to watch the documentary now.

Welcome to the Community, Suzie. You are in a place here where you can learn, be supported and encouraged and achieve your musical goals.

Oh and when I hear the name Suzanne, my musical mind jumps to Leonard Cohen.

1 Like

Hello Suzanne and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

You have to take your hat off to the youngsters that stay committed to their passion but now you’re a little older the commitment seems to stay.

1 Like

Welcome, Suzie! As you have found out this is the place for support and encouragement. Justin’s methods are proven and will have you playing songs and enjoying guitar practice in no time.
A lot of people don’t realize what a mecca of music Indianapolis is.

1 Like

Hey, Suzie! I live in Indianapolis and have been studying guitar for about five years. The best motivator for me has been to build a community of friends to play with. If you live near Indy, let me know if you have interest in joining us. We usually get together on Wednesday nights.

Take care,
Mick

2 Likes

I certainly think his methods will help me and I am enjoying seeing what everyone is doing and contributing here. Thanks for saying hello!

Thanks Mick! I’m North of Indianapolis. I’m not even close to being ready to play with other people but I appreciate the invite! :smiley: I just found batteries for my old tuner so hopefully I can tune my guitar tonight and start practicing the exercises and chords. I am still trying to learn how to navigate this site too.

1 Like

No pressure, of course, but it’s totally open to various skill levels, and some people who come just sing. I find having an in-person musical group is a real motivator to keep learning.

1 Like

Hi Suzie, a warm welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

1 Like