Sweet Caroline, Neil Diamond

This is my second video playing on my new Martin Backpacker guitar.

19 Likes

Well done! Great campfire tune.

1 Like

Singing sounds great to me. Good job!

I love this. So many musicians get caught up in the whole ā€œIā€™m a shredder, Iā€™m technically perfectā€ that they forget about just making people feel good and coming together to sing along. EXCELLENT work!

Wow, you want together and jam?? You know, my little backpacker is a blast to play. I love the sound. Iā€™m working up to jam with bluegrass folks this summer at a campout.

You are so kind, thank you.

This is my second time watching you :wink:

Good stuff again.
Nice travel guitar. At the start I wondered if you could have put the capo a couple of frets higher as it seemed a bit low for your voice, but when the higher notes kicked in later it made sense.
My only advice would be to continue practicing till you know all the chords/lyrics without the music in front of you, esp. if you are going to be in front of a campfire.
Looking into the camera will make you appear much more confident and grab the listenersā€™ attention.
(Oh yeah, what time is it? :laughing:)

Hello Maidie,
I enjoyed listening to it, and the vocals were really okay :sunglasses:ā€¦and everything else the same also what Brian says above, and then itā€™s ready for the fireplaceā€¦
Greetings, Rogier

Hello Madie, I should have left this one for later to watch. That way I could get out the marshmallows and enjoy in front of the fire. Continue practicing this one as Brian says above and youā€™ve got yourself a fantastic campfire song.

Great, love it. Your little guitar is so cute and it makes a good sound too :smiley:

Hey great campfire song there Maidie. Well played and sung.
I think you should try singing it in a higher register. Youā€™d sound more comfortable and get more volume and expression into your vocal.
Despite what you say, youā€™ll want to make yourself heard above all the others on your wilderness trip. My (limited) experience of sing-alongs is that after the first verse and chorus of a song which everyone knows, silence descends and youā€™re on your own because no one knows the words to the other verses! :grinning:

I was interested to see/hear your Martin backpacker. Iā€™ve been looking - on and off - for a travel guitar. This is the first time Iā€™ve heard the backpacker played by an amateur and it sounded pretty good. The online demo videos are all played by experts who can make a brush shaft and a bit of wire sound good!

Great work Maidie. For ā€˜not a singerā€™ your singing was really good. Just needs to be a bit louder :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very good Maidie, nice performance!
That little Martin sounds way better than I expected it to, looks good too.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bravo, Maidie, that was most enjoyable. Chords, strumming, and changes generally pretty smooth. Singing was just fine, after all we are not auditioning for The Voice. Your voice has a pleasing tone, and really came into your own in the chorus.

I see Iā€™m watching out of sequence. heading right off to listen to the other ā€¦

Thanks Jak! I donā€™t know what a shredder is, but Iā€™m sure I"m not. I do not have dreams of being totally good, I just want to be able to learn and grow and be more comfortable with my strings.
We had a little jam at my cabin a few years back a Uke, harmonica and me on guitar, and a couple of singers. It was my first time, and have never done it again, (with COVID) but it was so much fun!
Have you got any recordings? Iā€™m still pretty new to the community and get a bit lost surfing around, but Iā€™d love to hear yours if youā€™ve got some.
maidie

Well it didnā€™t take you long to get addicted to posting your performances. Not a bad sound from the guitar what it isā€¦sounds like youā€™ll plenty of opportunity for some practice. Another lovely performance.

Brian, I really like your feedback, so helpful to think about some different ideas I had not thought of.
OMGoodness, I LOVE the little backpacker, it sounds to me like a mix of Uke and Banjo, which is the twangey kind of stuff I love with bluegrass.
I agree, that learning the chords and words would make all flow better. It just takes time, Iā€™m only a month in. But, I had a thought, that I need to push my self more to not look at the paper and force myself to remember, or figure out the chord. I do this with my GPS, or NAV in the truck. If I donā€™t have an appointment I try to get to my destination with out it. Leads to some adventures, and finding new areas Iā€™d never been to before!
I know what you mean about looking into the camera. I like it when Iā€™m watching others videos. Iā€™ll work on it.
Thank you again, so very much.
maidie

1 Like

Rossco, thanks for the listen. I have been working for weeks to get video ready, and then I got my new backpacker guitar, and they are so different. It was a hump I just had to get over, and Iā€™m so glad I did.
You know recording really gives you some good feedback for yourself. Iā€™m going to try to listen to some of your log if I can figure out navigating this community. Itā€™s like being in a foreign city to meā€¦ : )

Thanks Roger!! Fireplace sounds great. Could you see our stove in the background? I noticed after I made the video. We still have several inches of snow here.

Itā€™s definitely good to record yourself even if itā€™s just audioā€¦very good to look back and see how much youā€™ve improved. I have quite a lot of stuffā€¦not all of it very goodā€¦but itā€™s honest.