T-o-u-c-h of J. J

Thank you sir! Slide has been on my list of things for a while now, it just never seems to happen. I got pretty close using my old Ovation acoustic with the super high action. Maybe in the new it will happen. :slight_smile:

Very nice groovin there, Clint. I love the sound of an acoustic jammin’. This kind of brings both your sides to centre stage to close out the year - mellow troubadour and blues rocker. Happy New Year to you!

1 Like

Clint cool as cucumber as ever! Great jam, what a way to say goodbyes with 2021, hope to see more of those in 2022!

1 Like

@CT

Loved the play and production, Clint, nothing more to add to my comments in YT.

Hope you don’t mind a slight digression …

I have no idea upon whose shoulders JJ Cale stood. Players of his generation inevitably influenced by giants who came before. But I think its fair to say that JJ was one of Clapton’s influences (along with the legendary bluesmen).

I thoroughly enjoyed this documentary and would recommend it for all interested in getting to know the legend that is JJ Cale a little better.

Thanks Clint.

2 Likes

Super smooth and laid back, Clint. Great listen. Have to look up J J Cale now! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Judging the reactions, it’s not regional :wink:
I think you know I admire your instrumental work, but love your acoustic/singing offerings.
For me this is a strange hybrid, as you seem to be singing with your guitar.
In a previous life, you’d get vibes for this :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you sir! The guitar is made from quilted ash.

I appreciate the comment. Thanks!

Thank you very much sir!

1 Like

Thanks for that @mari! When I set out to play something there’s always a minute or two of thought that goes into which guitar to use. Why I ended up playing acoustic and with this guitar is kind of a mystery really. I look at them hanging on the wall and they seem to speak to me in some way – hard to describe.

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate the listen and comment. Happy New Year!

1 Like

Such a groovy groove on this, its groovier than a really groovy grooved thing.

Thanks @DavidP! That’s the J.J. documentary to watch. Really captures the essence.

As I may have stated earlier, this was a three camera one take played into the DAW. I sort of hit the wall on what I can do with iMovie video production wise, and need to look into the Adobe offerings. Trying to sync video to audio and swap clips in and out has become less fun than it should be.

1 Like

What a lamppost! (Gonna cock a leg😜)

Thanks for the cool comment! Check out JJ’s crazy guitar:

Yeah, I was giving @pikeamus a bit of a pass.

Singing with the guitar is a huge goal. I do try to be somewhat conversational when I play lead. In the heat of the moment it takes some restraint to leave space and gaps when playing. It’s normal to just focus on note selection, phrases and such. Still something to consider and work on, and I appreciate the comment. :slight_smile:

I caught this on YouTube last night. As always, it sounded great Clint. Your leads take us on such a wonderful, melodic journey. Well done :+1:

1 Like

I think it may be generational though… I just searched reddit’s guitar sub (which trends fairly young) for him and he’s quite rarely mentioned (and most threads containing his name are about a John Meyer cover). I’m still young damnnit!

2 Likes

I dig, dug, and am totally digging your comment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed, more generational than regional.

But I think he was also one of those musicians who put more time and effort into the music, without succumbing to the demands and pressures of the industry to achieve greater levels of international recognition, stardom, etc.

So I’d bet there are many people from an older generation who’ve also never listened to him and would think some of his songs covered by artists like Clapton are Clapton originals.

Another artist I might put into a similar group would be Rory Gallagher. Anybody here into great guitar playing, blues-rock, either acoustic or electric, who’ve never heard of him, I’d recommend taking time out to sample him on YT.

1 Like