T-o-u-c-h of J. J

Absolutely David ! Fantastic artist and writer for sure.

2 Likes

Thank you sir! Really cool comment, greatly appreciated!

J.J. Caleā€™s popularity is regional to the degree that he was a huge part of the Tulsa sound. If you arenā€™t from Tulsa it might not register, which is what makes it regional. Other regional artists and sounds (Muscle Shoals, Motown, etc) are more universally accepted. Many of the Tulsa sound players are even lesser known than J.J. Cale.

1 Like

Wow,
Nice stuffā€¦ Good light show you got going there. Not sure on the guitar as I think they call that a spelt top? Either way, it is very awesome looking. Great play Clint, Nice tone you got going as well on guitar. All around goodness on this one and all the rockā€™n best in 22ā€™!

I would tend to differ on the 15 Character limit. One thing you might consider is to pad it out with a dash and your screen name or something. That way phone users know who the post is fromā€¦ Just my take on it. I think a good description is an asset.
LB

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate the comment LBro! Happy New Year to you sir.

Iā€™ll pass on further comments on the title minimum and tags that are not useful. :+1:

The guitar is quilted ash. It has a little brighter tone than most acoustics in-person, but with a DAW and FX anything can sound like anything else. :slight_smile:

That was a great way to close the year out. Exceptional stuff again Clint.

Thank you sir! (for whatever reason my response needs to be 20 characters)

Spent a laid back 90 minutes yesterday evening, watching Mr Laidback. Really good documentary David. :sung

1 Like

How do you catch a Clint?
You need the proper bait :wink:
A bump of his post might be enough to grab his attention, but it should be more effective if you combine it with one of those new @CT thingamabobs.
Someone (forget who) mentioned JJ Cale being an artist they loved and I thought they might like this.
Hope the fish are biting and youā€™re figuring out how to combine your multiple hobbies.
Rock on Dude :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve been wondering about @CT as well, heā€™s been suspiciously absent for a while now.

Hope all is well with you Clint! AVOYP isnā€™t the same without you.

2 Likes

Fish are jumpinā€™ and the livinā€™ is easy

Sorry 'bout what Iā€™ve done to the lyrics folks.

1 Like

Hello Clint,
I love J.J.Cale for his calm, wise music. I remember I even have a couple of covers of it. You did a cool improvisation absolutely in the style of this great musiсian, thank you.
Keep calm,
Leo

Hello fellow travelers! I appreciate all the kind posts and for checking in on me. Iā€™m doing well, and waiting for a spark of inspiration. I have a fun little progression Iā€™m working on now and hopefully that spark will catch fire. Carry on good people!

Rather late to the party on this one. Though they say better late than never. I enjoyed that very much. Iā€™m just starting to listen to some of J.J. Caleā€™s stuff so the timing to listen to this worked out perfectly. Very well played sir.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, JJ was a good player to emulate.

1 Like

Indeed he is. After all EC could be considered his most famous emulator :grin:

1 Like

Iā€™m kinda late on this one as well! I thought this was awesome I loved the groove on this one!! Very nice man!!

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna pick a nit here, but only because I love J.J. Cale and any opportunity to discuss that super cool guy is a good one.

I agree Clapton emulated J.J., but more in songwriting than in guitar playing. He obviously was a big fan of JJ Caleā€™s songs, covering several of them (and making them hits) and he later collaborated with and befriend J.J.

Having said that, I donā€™t think he played guitar much like Cale and, in fact, he talks about this in an interview he gave some years ago (I think this one: Eric Clapton discusses "The Breeze (An Appreciation of JJ Cale) " - YouTube).

I do think his writing was influenced by Cale, especially in a song like Lay Down Sally.

BTW, very nice J.J. vibe in the video by @CT, above. Kudos.

2 Likes

No worries. Just some players jibber-jabbing. Nothing here serious enough to contend. I wouldnā€™t argue either way. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link and thoughts, John. Maybe ā€˜influenceā€™ is a better word than ā€˜emulateā€™.

1 Like