Taylor Swift Is Bigger Than The Beatles!? šŸ¤£

Weā€™re generally a bunch of old farts on here, playing guitar focused songs, not something current pop music is really know for, even then Justin has 7 lessons on Taylors songs.

According to Wikipedia over the first four days of release of the get back series in the UK, the series was streamed for a total of 503 million minutes (equaling 1.07 million complete views), with people over the age of 55 making up 54% of the demographic. Iā€™d say that shows they do still have some relevancy.

3 Likes

Were Mozart and Beethoven scousers ?? Blimey missed that meeting.

Guess as I lit the fuse I should add ā€¦

Learnt Back To December during the old BC a good song to build skills but remote from my java. Have a shed load of Beatles songs Iā€™d like to learn as there a testament to my yoof. Donā€™t make me a fan but I appreciate the way they wrote songs, rather than use offered up samples from other writers.

Iā€™d rather Taylor Momsen than Taylor Swift but Iā€™d prefer some down and dirty Southern Rock over the mop tops.

Lets come back here in 2062 and see who figures in folks memory. Wonā€™t be me for sure on @stitch reckoning I am on borrowed time. Just as well I wrote and recorded a song about mortality back in 2017. So whereā€™s my entry to the Hall of Frame ?

:sunglasses:

IDk , probably with the people who enjoyed her music as youths?

The Beatles had a career of 10 years, Taylor Swift has already been making music for 21 years. Unlike a lot of garbage out these days she is actually a musician which helps!

4 Likes

You might be right- I guess when St. Winifredā€™s School Choirā€™s song Grandma We Love You knocked John Lennonā€™s Starting Over off number one for Christmas '80 they were more relevant than a dead bug in the UK at that time :wink:

2 Likes

Eh none of the music I enjoy is particularly relevant today, does it matter?

2 Likes

My take on this is that she probably is bigger right now. Whether she has staying power or not is impossible to knowā€¦ whoā€™d have guessed in the mid 80s that bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica would be selling out arenas fully 40 years down the line?
It might be when we look at who is big in music in 20 years thereā€™ll be as many people answer that TS influenced them as there will be The Beatles.
For my part I neither know or care - Iā€™m not a fan of either!

2 Likes

Funny as Iā€™ll walk around the local French supermarkets and hear something hailing back to the 60s and 70s only to find someone singing or worst wrapping some load of nonsense over a classic with an ā€œarranged/derangedā€ melody. Recycling samples seems the way to go for the modern audiences. I just wander around scowling and frightening the locals. Be creative peeps donā€™t just churn.

1 Like

Rolling stones are more relevant than the Beatlesā€¦

[runs for cover]

5 Likes

Your poking the Jo Burg bear there Rob as I am sure Mr Preece would agree with you. But the Stones were heavily influenced by the early Blues players, as I guess were the Beatles.
As I have said time and time again everything stems from the Blues.

And on Swiftā€™s 21 years, werenā€™t most of that Country ? Deduct and start after that Iā€™d say :rofl:

2 Likes

Didnā€™t rambling jack elliott have a career of 70 odd years?

1 Like

Just might have to google him. Does it involve gingham and straw ? Not a fan Iā€™m afraid, remember how I avoided that bloke from Denver or Granola or somewhere.

Beatles 19bn streams with 766 tracks , 1 track over 1bn streams
Taylor swift 81bn streams , 436 tracks, 11 tracks over 1bn streams

To be fair I am surprised the Beatles are that high

Hereā€™s one in his early days mule skinner blues / talking fishing blues and one from a couple of years ago where I think heā€™s in his 90s san francisco blues

1 Like

I have never really a fan of pop music. I personally have always lumped Taylor Swift into the same categories as Ed Sherren. What my kid and her friends listen to.

But since playing guitar I do see they both do a ton looping, lots of the layers. All of them do it. I also think Sherren may edger Swift out in the guitar ability department. I have watched her in some of the small studio gigs and she does play really well, she is no slouch.
Also her song are written well for what they are. They have great hooks, you have to admit she is a good writer for her audience. Thats whats what she is, a pop singer.
That brings me to my main point about this video and any articles trying to compare who is better.

Taylor Swift is a single act, she is not a band like the Beetles. 4 musicians offering knowledge of their single instrmental talent to the whole of the group. I dont understand why this guy is being so criticle of a musician for having people help with percussion and other elements of an ensemble. He should be critical to the article not the artist. Aside from that she still plays obnoxious music that I been learning to play for my soon ā€œnot to be a teenā€ teen daughter and her friends.

The Beetles were my moms music and I ignored it growing up cause Metal and then AltRock, Punk and Grunge but any one who listens to music has to give them 100% credit for serious musical achievements. Again after starting to learn guitar I am seeing the serious value of the legend of bands like the Beatles.

You might might be suprised my daughter knew Beetles song yellow submarine from one of the current animated tv shows. As long as the writers for pop culture programs like Family Guy and SouthPark make episodes with jokes or characters based on classic bands, the kids know about them too. Hopefully that will go one for a while.

Sorry if long.

1 Like

Wut?

493 million views

1 Like

Not their own content. They block others using Beatles stuff under what would normally be fair usage rights

There is a recurring word here, Blues and not Country. I may take a listen after the sunrises, as the day is done here, so I am retiring and pray I wonā€™t have dreams involving Hoedowns!

1 Like

I donā€™t see the main point of video being about the beatles or taylor swift - thatā€™s just click bait. More interesting are the points about how popular music is made then and now. Music made in the 60es and 70es generally was at a very different level of musicianship, which is hard to find in more recent music (still there but not in your face).
I analysed a TS song a while ago because I liked the lyrics and the vibe. I was surprised to find that the song repeated a 4-chord progression over and over - no change for chorus, no bridge. The illusion of different chord progression was created by starting the chorus on a different chord of the same progression than the verse (e.g. in C-Am-F-G start verse on C and chorus on F). Dynamics are created by stacking up more and more tracks and instruments. On their own none of the guitar tracks was interesting. The melody was unsingable and not actually attractive or beautiful on its own. In the end I never learned the song.
Compare that with e.g. Country Roads by John Denver (had to choose one of Justinā€™s 10 party songs video): nice chord sequences, especially the bridge, nice guitar part, very beautiful second guitar parts in the chorus little melodic phrases over triads following the chord progressions, beautiful melody that you can sing to yourself even without any accompaniment at all.

1 Like