The Beatles - You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away (Cover)

Hi everyone,

Glad to see that this older post has been rediscovered, thank you @TheMadman_tobyjenner
And you’re right that there’s nothing wrong with pot noodles but it wasn’t the most nutritious term at university :joy:

Always a good thing to keep the wife happy @roger_holland happy to help out :wink:

@Thejoechoi thanks for listening! Might have to try this bass note run you speak of. If you put up your version then I can learn from you :smiley:

@Rossco01 I’m glad you enjoyed it! I keep meaning to record some more Lennon tracks. Where would music be without those four scousers ey? :pray:

@JakAngelescu thanks for listening. I must confess that I don’t know the names of all the chords, I only knew what a B7 was last year :joy:

1 Like

I am nowhere near playing that many chord changes that fast much less singing too!!! What I’m trying to say is Great job! :smiley:

1 Like

Really, nice job- great playing, rhythm so solid yet nice and lively …
I wish I could sing as effortlessly and well as you do. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:… thanks for sharing.
Those Martins are proper value for a great tone - I’ve had a DXRC1 (cut away version) for over 10+ years and I think (or maybe convinced myself!) its tone is getting better, so I’d definitely keep playing it … :slight_smile:
I’ve had a crack at this tune in the past and I find it very satisfying to play… moves along so nicely in 6/8, with that nice run down on the A string during the D chord to bring in the chorus - such a hook. How did the Beatles get so many hooks in every song?
I heard the inspiration for this song was the Beatles set themselves the task of doing a Bob Dylan style acoustic folk song… can’t remember where I got this from, but it kind of of fits with the feel of it… :slight_smile:
Well done again, you’ve got some good songs in the bag…

1 Like

Once again, a great performance.

1 Like

That was great! I especially admire playing that accurately at that tempo, along with the walk downs.

When I sing and strum, I feel like I struggle sometimes to be heard over the guitar. Your voice to guitar balance is good. Have you ever had problems with that? Are you deliberately playing softer?

Thank you for sharing this!

1 Like

@suzieq thanks for listening and I’m glad you enjoyed it. Quick chord changes and singing simultaneously is just practice, practice and… more practice!

@TheCluelessLuthier glad you enjoyed it :+1:t2:

@Gwjr Hi Gary, glad you enjoyed it. I play with the thinnest pick I can find which is 0.38mm, it’s slightly thicker than paper :joy: but it means I can play very gently if I need to. Covers like this don’t need anything thicker because it’s just 6/8 strumming.

@Onda thanks for listening, Andrew. I’m glad you enjoyed it.
I love my acoustic tbh and if its sound gets even better then I’ll be blown away. My brother swears by Gibson but I see no need to change when I’m happy with the tone. Mine is now over 10 years old as well which is scary! We’re both not getting any younger :joy:
I think Paul said it was just John doing his best Dylan impression so sounds about right! For me, they’re the best there ever was and the best there ever will be!
@Thejoechoi also did a great cover of this tune and his was closer to the original recording. You should have a listen :+1:t2:

2 Likes

What do I think? Too- notch performance and very enjoyable to listen to.
Can you share your musical bio/background with us??

1 Like

Great song and very well played

1 Like

Thank you for the answer. I’ll try that!

1 Like

Really loved the way you played this song so smoothly! I’ve been working on the song for a few months and I’m not where you are with it. Especially like the way you got the tricky part with the D/C D/B D/A (I think) at the end of the second verse.

1 Like

@bobuva thank you for listening and I’m glad you enjoyed it!
I cheated the D/C, D/B and D/A section to be honest. I didn’t replace my third finger with my fourth finger on the 3rd fret of the B string. It made it easier for me and I still think it sounded ok. Justin doesn’t teach it this way though!

I thought it looked a little different but it sounded good! Very nice recording!

1 Like

Wow, really impressive. Great work, vocals and strumming.

1 Like

Great confident playing there and you’ve got a lovely singing voice. That’s a great performance.

1 Like