The Big Six Essential Notes

The strings are also numbered in ascending string thickness :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve started module 12 and this lesson complements the power chord studies. That is one of the main reasons I was forced to go back to beginner lessons after starting intermediate. I really never learned the notes on the 6 and 5 strings without a lot of hesitation. That and going so long without playing the guitar that I lost all of my calluses :slight_smile:

After studying the 6 essential notes I though of a mnemonic. The GC made me think of guitar chords so first I thought:

Guitar Chords
Are Demonstrated
By Example

But that seemed redundant and a little forced, so how about this:

Guitar Chords
Are Done
By Everyone

1 Like

@Manos98 When you get to module 12 in grade 2 and start practicing power chords, perhaps this lesson will make more sense, if you mean that you don’t understand why you would learn this or how it is used to play guitar, although Justin does discuss this in the video intro.

1 Like

@Richard_close2u I took a quick peek at your open topic discussion on the circle of fifths and admit that most everything beyond the color wheel was beyond my level of understanding but I look forward to reaching that level of understanding in the future.

1 Like

Maybe three green colours, as in imagine a traffic light with green lights only? I think its easier to imagine thatt than the emotional state of three cats haha

1 Like

I used Fachords Fretboard Trainer. It rocks.

Currently I’ve got all the notes on the 5th and 6th strings.
I’ve been working on notes including sharps and flats between the 3rd to 7th frets.
My last recorded session was about 2.5 seconds between correct guesses. Part of the time is moving the mouse and clicking on the correct note.

I’ll be adding additional frets too. I’ve got all the notes on the 10th fret memorized too, so I may now move this exercise to go between the 6th to the 10th fret and work on speed and accuracy.

If anyone want to try it, go to the link and hit “Easy Mode” to set up the fretboard limitations.

Fyi, I’ve no connection to that site, I’m just a fan-boy. It’s a great tool.

1 Like

Is it just me or is the diagram upside down? Shouldn’t the low E be on top? :thinking:

1 Like

Were you to take a print out of TAB and place it flat on a desk, then place your guitar flat on the desk in the manner you play it, with you sitting at the desk, both would have the low E / thickest / 6th string nearest to you. The orientation of the TAB will not always be flat depending on whether you read it on a computer screen, a music stand or other. But the same principle applies regardless of the orientation.

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

1 Like

thats great thanks

1 Like