The Boxer (Paul Simon cover)

took this out my practice recording.
2 channels: vocal + guitar and guitar only (guitar straight into H4N recorder)

I use these recordings to evaluate my own playing.

Here the lessons are; play this half a note higher next time to make the first verse less flubby :stuck_out_tongue: Itā€™s unstable and lacks panache.

Not unhappy about the guitar part though.

30 Likes

I know this very much from my youth. One of my favourites. Itā€™s just so lovely. - You play really nice and singing great also. - But something doesnā€™t match up.
Something about the speed? I feel you play too fast.
Just listened to some older recordings from the net and there I sing along fine. But here something different, or maybe you do something for copyright thingy?

1 Like

The structure was butchered and itā€™s probably too fast as well.
I omitted some instrumental parts etc.

Was does this mean? It went through a DAW or some sort and was edited?

No, I skipped some parts

WOW Lieven! That has just blown me away. Absolutely outstanding! Your playing was beautiful and fantastic vocals to match! Going back for another listen.

1 Like

Right, I understand. There was something then. :joy: :joy: But really nice, itā€™s not that. Just didnā€™t match up in my mind :joy: But very nice performance :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is fantastic Lieven!

1 Like

Super nice :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Great cover. Didnā€™t notice the missing parts and didnā€™t effect the performance.

1 Like

Lieven, that was a fantastic version of this song. It was the boxer but it sure had your own twist to it as well. Bravo!

1 Like

Some nice chops there Lievenā€¦sounded really nice and liked the interpretation. Iā€™ve tried learning this one a few times and always struggled with the rhythm itā€™s really tricky to play and sing but you got it spot on.

1 Like

One of the best S&G songs for me. :slight_smile:
Thanks for sharing.

R.

1 Like

Bravo Lieven!
Impressive as always, but even more enjoyable as I love the song.
I particularly thought your guitar dynamics on the Li-la-li parts towards the end worked extremely well (although I do miss the soaring strings).
Well done :sunglasses:

1 Like

Glad you say that, I always have to imagine these things myself the percussive elements as well; they are so epic and they really ā€œhitā€ me

Totally get that. It was on my dream list for a long time :smiley: I had quite some years of singing and playing behind me before I managed to somehow deliver a passable version! I start off with the regular pattern and I go into a very personal but organic style of picking real soon. The timings of chords and vocals arenā€™t as straightforward as you might initially think and he always sings it differently :smiley:
It sure is one of the harder one and itā€™s easy to fumble :smiley:
I just had to go back to it time and time again and eventually the song kept momentum.

3 Likes

Hi Lieven,
Very impressive, great guitar playing and fantastic singing :sunglasses: :clap:, and I understand what you mean with those first sentences, it seemed like a little short of breathā€¦ but tjemig, really great to listen to, such a pity that there is no video of it, but absolutely radio worthyā€¦
Greetingsā€¦ :bouquet:

1 Like

Terrific :ok_hand:

1 Like

Some great playing, liked the vocal to.

1 Like

I think that was a nice rendition regardless of the arrangement or tempo. I enjoy tunes that are not exact attempts at carbon copy repos of studio recordings that even the original artists can find difficult to duplicate, especially live. An artists touch is unique and can be fresh and interesting. Youā€™ve delivered that although, as you say, you may be wanting to develop the tune for yourself a bit more.

2 Likes

Nice job and I enjoyed this spin on a nice spring day that should get to 80 today. Either way your post brightened up my day!

All the best!
LB

1 Like