The Heart of the Matter, Don Henley 1989

“The Heart of the Matter” is a song recorded by American rock singer Don Henley from his third solo studio album, The End of the Innocence (1989). Written by Henley, Mike Campbell, and J. D. Souther.

This song is dedicated to all the lovers of our world, who, for some reason or another, lost the flame and the kindness of love!!!
This song is also dedicated to all troubled peoples asking and searching for forgiveness, in their paths toward peace and contentment!!!

And more importantly, this song is for all the people in our lives that has the ability to forgive.

Choose to love, do forgive, for one’s healthy propagation of good in mind and spirit!!!

Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

18 Likes

Fantastic - your guitar playing sounds great - your style is lovely - not overburdening complex (which would not be fitting the song I think) but full of variations and dynamics. It works so well with the Taylor sound and your singing - bravo!!!

1 Like

Hi Rene,
I think maybe you could have told a little more about yourself in your introduction, for example about how many decades you have been playing, what is your connection with Justin guitar and what else do you want to learn or add here in this community (for example), only that you are of course beautiful sings and plays and can delight many pubs and parties with your voice / total appearance :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Hi Rene, I’m here on @CT’s recommendation :wink:
Welcome and wow (3 exclamation marks :laughing:)
Are all those your guitars? It looks like a shop!

That’s some fine playing and singing right there. Can’t think of anything to criticize or what might improve it. Bravo.
Loving the positivity (but would probably add that asking for forgiveness can be a lot harder and more productive than forgiving)
I’m looking forward to a bit more background in due course… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi @andyPlays ,
Thank you for the lovely comments!
Variation and dynamics are effective techniques to keep the flow interesting and hip!
This is a Taylor K-14ce, koa side and back, spruce top.
I love this guitar, especially when plugged in.
Love your feedback.
Rene

2 Likes

Hi Roger,
I have been playing the guitar for 50 years, and I consider myself as an intermediate guitar player. My connection to JustinGuitar is my love for the guitar and music! I do not sing in pubs or parties, and I am not a professional musician. I retired from the United States Navy in 2019, and my daughter urged me to start my music channel, which I did in late 2019 right after my retirement from service.
I am so far away from where I want to be in my guitar playing, the likes of Eric Clapton and James Taylor to name a few.
Between you and me, I felt like I am being discriminated because I know how to play the guitar at a level that might be “Intermediate”. Hopefully, I am not correct, as this is my first post in this Community. I hope you are not a Moderator, or Administrator. And maybe, you can understand my situation better. And I am hoping that this post was a welcome to a newbie, new to the Community.
Warm regards,
Rene

1 Like

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your wonderful response!
My Music Room, is where I hang out and do my music creation, as I love to create original music compositions and also do cover songs, especially songs from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. mostly.
Thank you for the compliments on my playing and singing, my love for music and the guitar are simply driving the emotions and the creativity.
This thing called “forgiveness” is a two-way street, and I covered this song, and actually dedicated this classic because of a very close individual/s who are having “no way” when it comes to forgiving their father. So, asking might seem to be harder to do, but for some folks, giving is a non-starter.
Thank you, again for the warm welcome, and thanks to @CT as well.
Respectfully,
Rene

1 Like

Man, that was fantastic!

1 Like

Hi Rene,
Oh, that’s a pity if it came across as even a little bit like exclusion . (and in my eyes you are more than an intermediate player and at least an amazing singer :smiling_face:)
I’m not a moderator :sweat_smile:, but what I and many see happen is people who start posting for no further purpose than promoting their videos…after all it’s a guitar community (not a video only) site and almost everyone is here because we were looking to good quality lessons and a super large database of information and people who help and support playing and learning , and since your first introduction post was a hi hello, and your second one an almost professional video and on your you-tube page does go back a while , well then we often deal with people here who just want to promote their own videos and than post 1 or 2 replies before they download something and are gone for a while … But I like to be surprised Rene …and do not forget that I am a Dutchman who cannot apply all the nuanches in English as I can do in my own language, so a comment like I made can quickly turn out wrong, even if there was no intervention by a moderator so apparently saying the same as Brian last sentence in clearer terms :wink:

You have the qualities and looks of someone I like to invite to musically spice up my party, so be/feel welcome(Even without those qualities I would have intended it that way, of course :smiling_face:)
Greetings Rogier

1 Like

100% pure butter as always!! So glad to see you here on this forum, it’s been my home base since I re-started my guitar journey after a long gap. For those of you that get to hear and get to know Rene, I’ve got to say that you are in for a treat. Again, I’m a huge fanboy.

To my community friends, let’s start a new paradigm, and allow good players from the outside to join and build a relationship with us. It is good for us to hear accomplished players that can set the bar for where our personal journey could lead. Please open your hearts and minds and enjoy!

EDIT: @ReneAsologuitar I would like to make a song request: Don’t Be Shy by Cat Stevens. It would make my day. I just don’t have the vocal chops to pull it off.

3 Likes

That was beautifully played and sung Rene! Superb!!!

1 Like

Great performance and sound, Rene! Your singing goes quite well with your guitar accompaniment

1 Like

That’s a wonderful performance! I know this song well and I think your interpretation is great. I feel like you’re not just playing and singing - the meaning of the song and the feeling really comes through. Congratulations on that!

The sound is great too. Can I ask what kind of recording equipment do you use? Maybe it’s too complicated but I’d love to know.

1 Like

Welcome Rene,

Wonderful, looking forward to hearing more.

1 Like

Hi Roger,
Love your response.
I am hoping that I can be of help to guitar players in this Community, I have been playing guitar for 5 decades, still improving, and far from being a guitar expert.
Although, at this time, I am a guitar instructor volunteer, and I am doing so with our Community Senior Center and Guitars 4Vets.
I simply love guitars!!!
Thanks again, Roger!
Rene

1 Like

Hi Rene and welcome to the Community! You definitely know your way around the guitar, very professional alike quality and of course great guitar and vox skills, really enjoyed it man! And I knew I recognised you from somewhere as Clint recently posted a video of yours somewhere else.

Just wanted to add something based on previous comments to you and others.

You definitely won’t be discriminated here Rene, as long as you won’t be only seeking for attention and not contributing back to the Community, either by commenting other folks posts or giving those in need some advice from your rich lifetime guitar playing experience :wink:

Absolutely Rogier as you probably realize I am very vocal about this kind of behaviour and I fully support what you mentioned in the quote above, sing both with hands and feet :slight_smile:

Sure CT no problem with new relationships… which work both ways, after all as per Community’s etos it’s not about asking, but also about Giving Back :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @TheOldGuy ,
You are so awesome, and I am so thankful!!!
I love your wonderful comment.
Respectfully,
Rene

Thank you so much for the excellent points!
I am so thankful for this Community, and I do apologize for the miscommunication.
I understand the dilemma about the straight up non-community minded folks.
Giving back is always appreciated, and is a great way to pick up ideas and methodologies in guitar know-how.
You are so appreciated!!!
With much respect,
Rene

1 Like

Hi @CT ,
I am actually out of the country, and will not have access to my recording stuff until next month.
Because of you, I am so grateful, as your warm welcome eased the minds of folks in the Community.
My initial introduction caused a lot of miscommunication.
I do not know this Cat Stevens song, but I will learn this tune, because I simply love CS classics.
It might take me a month, but I will try my very best.
Sometimes, when songs are too high for my pitch, I simply lower the pitch by transcribing the chords 2-3 frets down.
I do have guitars tuned down to Eb and even D (1st and 6th strings) for this purpose.
Thank you, again!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

3 Likes

I sometimes transpose songs into a different key and use a capo to make it easier to play certain chords, but I’m wondering why you wouldn’t just use a capo to find the right pitch for your voice rather than transcribing? :thinking: (You’ve got in on the 6th fret in this one)

1 Like