The Heart of the Matter, Don Henley 1989

I absolutely love this song, and your rendition was simply jaw-dropping. I absolutely love the expressivity of your singing, particularly how you push and pull the tempo while the guitar keeps the time steady as you play around with it. Your performance gave me chills. Simply beautiful.

You did seem to miss the high note at 1:05, but given the high emotions running in the song, particularly at that point, it actually kinda works, I have to say, so I’m rightly not sure if it’s on purpose or not. If not, awesome job on keeping it going!

1 Like

No worries, @ReneAsologuitar. We will be here when you get back. :slight_smile:

Yeah, Don’t be Shy is a garden variety I-IV-V if I recall, so transpose away. The last song that I thought I couldn’t pull off was Masters of War, and I went ahead and took the chance anyway.

2 Likes

HI @Eddie_09 ,
Thank you for the beautiful feedback, Eddie.
Your warm welcome is super appreciated.
See you in the forum!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, Rene. Fabulous playing and singing. And what a music room that is.

1 Like

Hi @DavidP ,
Thanks for the very warm welcome!
Truly wonderful words, humbling compliments!
My Music Room, is where I hang out and make music, which I love doing!!!
Thank you so much!
Respectfully,
Rene

1 Like

Welcome to the community Rene. And what an introduction. That was engaging and thoroughly enjoyable listen. Your daughter was bang on the money as your music should be shared. I totally agree with @CT that it is good for an accomplished player to join this community and not only share their music with us but also the knowledge they have accumulated to help us beginners following in their footsteps develop.

1 Like

Rene, this has been a superb introduction to the community. Thank you for sharing this. Great guitar playing and singing, very emotional delivery and as Brian said, your music room looks like a guitar shop ;).

Looking forward to hearing more songs from you. See you around the forum!

1 Like

Thank you so much @glpguitar !!!
Music simply is a blessings.
And I am so grateful and blessed with your warm welcome!!!
Thanks for the mention of the Music Room, love it!!!

Hi @Socio ,
We are all in the same journey.
Music simply adds a lot of beautiful addition and emotional flavor along our paths.
100 percent agree with you!!!
I, myself is still on a climb on my musical journey, and I can still reach and remember my beginner stages. To be able to share is a true blessing at any stage.
Thank you for your beautiful comments, and huge compliments!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

A grand entrance, indeed, Rene. Lovely guitar and vocal with lots of
emotion, dynamics and feeling. An enjoyable listen for sure.

1 Like

Hi @oldhead49 ,
Thank you for the great response.
I am sure we have plenty of excellent musicians in this forum, and love to hear 'em.
You are so awesome, and I am so glad to hear from you!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

Hey Rene,
Very nice production and recording/DAW(?) work on display. Rich tones abound. Great vox and guitar sound and tone. Just an enjoyable song you covered very well.

Not sure if you are using a greenlight? If not, you have a good collection going on there in the background!

All the best and be well,
LB

1 Like

Hi @LBro
Thank you so much for the great comments.
I am not using a DAW, I am recording using QuickTimePlayer.
Not using a green light, I have plenty of lighting behind my IMAC computer, and I also have a big neon beer sign closely that might be projecting the green shade of light.
I simply love guitars, and have collected quite a few along the way.
Thank you again, LB!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

Thank you for that performance, I loved the guitar and vocals. I’m quite new to the community too, and have found it very welcoming. I noticed that you gave me some feedback on my recent video of Redemption Song, thank you for that too. Hope to see/hear much more of your music.

1 Like

Thank you, and keep on making your music!!!

1 Like

Such a beautiful song and what a moving cover. The dynamics you use in your playing really make this song shine. And I loved your preface / dedication, especially this slightly reworded bit

1 Like

HI @Mari63 ,
Your comments are so loved.
Especially when you quoted the dedication, which really got to the heart of the matter - forgiveness!!!
Thank you!
Warm regards,
Rene

1 Like

Wow your voice is so nice. What a beautiful cover of this classic. I certainly have no constructive feedback on your playing or singing. I just wanted to show some love. Thank you and please keep posting your music!

What did you use to record this if I may ask? Nice reverb in the mix.

1 Like

HI @jpparlier ,
Thank you for the great response!!!
Your support and love are so appreciated, my friend!!!
The wonderful compliments are so loved!!!
Here is my set-up:
2 mics; Shure SM-58 (guitar), and Ear Trumpet Labs “Edwina” (vocals)
INTO - Yamaha MG10FX Mixer (I am using room reverb #6)
INTO - UAD Volt 2/76 Audio Interface (love the built-in compressor and vintage mic preamp)
INTO - IMAC, I am using Quick Time Player recording a movie
Thanks for asking.
Rene

1 Like

Hi @hipiboy ,
Your wonderful comments are so loved, and so much appreciated!!!
Thank you, my friend!!!
Respectfully,
Rene