The Stuck 3&4 Chords

Love the stuck chords, a few of it are used in “More than words” by Extreme. Such a classic! I will admit my technique is far from ideal as I am fairly new, but I find it so much more inspiring playing a song that I like clumsily than if I perfected each chord before learning more songs… :grin: Will have to learn up Wonderwall next…

Btw, there is a broken link at the end of the page for the next lesson “Perfect fast changes.”

2 Likes

Is it very silly or bad to play the first and second string of the stuck chords with only your ring finger? So in this case you don’t bend your finger but put it flat on the first and second string. Anyone else playing it like this?

1 Like

Hi Edwin, I play them with the two fingers rather than one finger as there may be times I lift one of the fingers for embellishments etc.

1 Like

In the Stuck 3-4 video em7 is demonstrated with four fingers. In the accompanying practice module Wonderwall karaoke (chord and strum tab) em7 is shown as three fingers with high E open. Typo or interchangeable? Three finger version is way easier to lay down.

1 Like

Here’s my take: both versions are Em7, since the high e string is sounding either a G note (fretted at 3rd fret) or an E note (open). Both of these notes are in the Em7 chord.

BTW, if you are playing this chord in a stuck 3&4 context (which I believe is appropriate for Wonderwall), then I think you should keep the pinky down on the e string. This shouldn’t be hard, since you have fingers 3&4 down all the time, right?

1 Like

I just glanced at it again and at least most of the Em7s come after As, so repositioning all the fingers! Unless we are supposed to be playing A7sus4s but the karaoke doesn’t indicate that. I might as well practice the stuck version Em7 as it’s harder, but nice to know about the option.

1 Like

@wdperkins Maybe this will help you understand why both are Em7 chords
The notes in Em7 are E G B D notice in all 4 of the chord posted have these notes so they are all open position Em7 chords. Even the last one. It’s a first inversion Em7. You could play the 3rd chord using just the D G B e strings and it would still be an Em7. If you play these 4 notes together anywhere on the neck they are still Em7

3 Likes

Thank you. I’ve just gotten to the point where I understand your diagrams and how those notes come to be where they are on the fret board. I don’t know why they make up Em7 yet, but that is near future learning hopefully.

1 Like

Have you gotten to the Major scale yet? If not I want bog you down with a bunch of theory, there’s lots of time to learn that. So ignore the rest of this post. :see_no_evil:

If you do know a little theory then the E is the Root note, the G is the minor 3rd, the B is the 5th and the D is the Flat7 all these note come from the E major Scale E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#, E
The 3rd is G# but to make the chord minor you need to flatten to G same goes for the D# it gets move one semi tone to D

This is also how the minor scale came to be E, F♯, G, A, B, C, D, E. You move the G# C# D# down one semi tone to make them the minor 3rd, minor 6th and minor 7

2 Likes

We were introduced to C major scale in this (8th I think) lesson. I’ve also picked up a couple others through Google. Don’t know theory behind them yet, but I enjoy practicing them more than my chord changes.

1 Like

Hi @wdperkins and welcome to the forum.
For Wonderwall, many other Oasis songs, and lots of 80s rock ballads etc you want to check this lesson on the stuck 3&4 chords.

By karaoke version I presume you mean that the app shows a slightly different fingering?
Check the Wonderwall lesson too.

2 Likes

Thank you Richard. I am now working through play along songs in the practice module for the stuck 3&4 chord lesson, The specified Wonderwall chords are Em7, Dsus4, C, G, A, D. Will use all stuck versions for the practice in this module.

PS A&sus4 and Dsus4 4 sound very alike to me.

1 Like

Make sure you are playing just 4 strings for the D chord and 5 for the A chord.
That ringing bass note should sound quite different.
:slight_smile:

Does anyone know what the big G chord is? I can’t find it in my chord book or online. The extra note is a D which is the fifth. Is there such a chord as Gadd5?

1 Like

It’s under the “Stuck 3&4 Chords” in Module 8, Lesson 1

2 Likes

This chord already contains the 5th, it’s just its octave that is added. I’m not sure “add5” chords as such exist.

1 Like

In short, no.

The 5 is an intrinsic part of the chord construction.
!, 3, 5 is the formula for all major chords (triads).
On occasion the 5 can be omitted - this happens mainly with extended chords such as, for example, Bmin11 whose formula is 1, b3, 5, b7, 9, 11 and in actual reality can be played as sparsely as 1, b3, b7, 11.
The 5 can be dropped but you would never say it is added.
Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

3 Likes

I’m REALLY struggling with these. It somehow feels even worse than when I picked up guitar for the first time and tried the basic open chords.

My main struggles are accidently muting the A string whenever I try the big G chord (I simply can’t figure out a way to both keep my first finger right next to the fret wire, and keep it curled enough to not mute the A string) and basic finger seperation between second and third fingers. I can’t even move the fingers apart no matter how hard I try. I struggle with this even away from the guitar.

Are these issues normal or am I missing something?

1 Like

I may be misunderstanding you Gertjan, but for “Big G” your first finger should be ON the A string.

1 Like

I meant the second finger, sorry

1 Like