The Stuck 3&4 Chords

I wanted to add one more note of encouragement for anyone who is discouraged by the number of chords in this lesson.

First, as I said above, there are only 5 chords that you need to work on in practice and they can be divided between practices.

Also, in the next module, you only need to learn 2 chords, but of course one is the F chord, so I guess Justin wanted to make this challenging enough to prepare you for that single chord (and he says so in the video for this module).

You will learn the Dsus4 chord and a variant of the Asus4 chord, in module 11 , Dsus4/F# is just a passing chord and the F 3&4 stuck chord is an obscure chord that you would only learn if you need it in a song.

So play some songs with the Big G, the Cadd9 and D chords (and earlier chords) and do the best you can with the Em7 and A7sus4 chords to develop your grip (and for the riff song) and you will do well on the rest of the lessons in Grade 2.

3 Likes

:scream::face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_spiral_eyes: I hesitated over whether I was ready to move to this module yet, but Iā€™m 6 months in so thought it was time. I know the previous chords really well even if they are not always perfect and not super fast changes, so I moved onā€¦
I canā€™t even remember the names of these, let alone the grips!
And the fact that itā€™s not clear when you use whichā€¦
My brain has exploded! :laughing:

Not giving up though! :relaxed::muscle:

3 Likes

HI Toni! Being very honest I mostly think of them as G, D, C etcā€¦but just as the 3/4 versions of them :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll try that! But even soā€¦ I thought I knew C, D and G! So itā€™s all a bit of a blow and I feel like Iā€™m in reverse! :laughing:

2 Likes

Donā€™t fret Toni and take your time with it. I donā€™t mean to confuse with my approach to them, and to be clear my head just goes ā€œstuck 3/4 Cā€, ā€œStuck 3/4 Dā€ and so onā€¦I really should learn them properly!!

2 Likes

Hi Tony, Iā€™ve just started Module 8 few days ago and I know exactly what you mean :blush:
:face_with_spiral_eyes:. Firstly, I tried to memorize the exact chord names, but after mixing them all up, I decided to use my limited free time to just playing them and thinking of them as the ā€˜stuck 3&4ā€™ versions :wink:.
But I like playing them. Although, some practice is necessary to make them sound good - thatā€™s true at least for me :grinning:.

1 Like

This is probably a silly questionā€¦ is G5 one of the stuck Gs?
Does the Big G (and the Rock G) have proper names such as that?
I wish the chords could all have their own proper name!!
Iā€™m really enjoying trying to play them and feel like Iā€™ve actually stepped up a tiny bit on all fronts of my journey :blush:
Love my guitars :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Toni

2 Likes

Hi Toni

G5 is a power chord and only uses the Root and the 5th interval. It is therefor neither major or minor. It would normally be played with a 6th string (E) root 3rd fret and the fifth interval played on the 5th string (A) at the 5th fret. The root note octave can also be played on the 4th string (D) at the 5th fret.

So it is not one of the Stuck 3 4 chords. As to names, theyā€™re just G chords. There are so many fingering options over the fretboard youā€™d need an encyclopaedia if they all had different names :rofl: Once you get used to all the different shapes, you will just think G, same with everything else. It would also get very confusing when chord extensions come into play but leave that for another day.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

If you mute the 5th string then the stuck 3&4 version of the G contains only the notes G and D, technically making it a G5: 3x0033, giving the notes GxDGDG. Having said that, I think the G5 notation is usually reserved for power chords, as @TheMadman_tobyjenner notes.

1 Like

A very good point John and absolutely true. However playing it like that I never think of it as a G5 just a big g but not so big. Hey maybe they all need separate names after all.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, but would you not class the example you have given as a power chord in the open position.

3 Likes

For a G5 power chord I think that should be the A string at the 5th fret, not the 7th fret? Also, is the fret diagram you posted of an A power chord (A5)?

Good spot Chris, early morning and no java on board ! Corrected the text and working on new image. Thx for highlighting. :+1:

Sorted, apologies peeps. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Posting before coffee? Step away from the keyboard!

3 Likes

This may be just me, but I when I think ā€œpower chordā€, Iā€™m thinking a 2- or 3-string chord played on the lowest strings. I donā€™t think of a trebly-sounding chord like 3x0033 as a power chord. I guess if only the lower strings were played 3x00xx, I would think of it as a power chord.

Again, this is just how I think of these chords, I really donā€™t know what the accepted conventions are.

3 Likes

This was the fingering that you described and the chord library refers to it as a G5.

Edit: with my very limited knowledge Iā€™d have thought for the 5 basic open chords (C, A, G, E, D) if I remove the 3rd Iā€™d get a C5, A5, G5, E5, D5?

1 Like

Thanks all!
The reason I thought it might be G5 in the mod 8 practice one of the suggested chords for practice is G5.
Anyway Iā€™ll just call them G for now!!

2 Likes

@jjw @TheMadman_tobyjenner AC/DC called and they want their G5 back (they play it 3x0033 in back in black) :smiley:.

Root and a 5th, I think itā€™s still a power chord even if not using barre chord style fingering. :thinking: At least thatā€™s my understanding

@TangleJangle Chords are named for the notes in them, not the fingering. Which can get pretty confusing. So 4 finger ā€œBig Gā€ is a G, muting the 5th string and itā€™s a G5 (different chord), and theyā€™re all ā€œStuck 3/4ā€ chords.

Different way to play the same chord e.g. the different Gs are called voicings. They sound a bit different but are the same chord.

5 Likes

@jkahn ahhh! That explains things a bit - they are named after notes not the fingers! Iā€™d assumed fingers although I had just started to realise that the chord name seems to be to do with the top note! :laughing: I mean, I knew the notes come into it butā€¦ well, I assumed name equalled grip pattern.
Its all so exciting :blush::sunglasses::guitar:

2 Likes

I put this disclaimer in for a reason! :smiley:

I see now on Justinā€™s video on Stuck 3&4 Chords, he explains that 3x0033 is a G5 chord, and says ā€œyou could call this one an open power chordā€.

4 Likes