Thejoechoi - February 2022 - The Beatles, Romanian song, Somewhere Over The Rainbow progress, John Lennon

Maidie, good to hear you make recordings (invaluable aid to learning). I can only encourage you to take the plunge and share. Create a Learning Log and do it there. While there is no expectation that AVOYP recordings be flawless and of high quality, maybe posting in your LL will make it easier. The Community is supportive and encouraging, no safer place. And you will just get lots of helpful feedback.

Definitely record yourself and post! Just the camera rolling will add some nerves and let you know how well you know something!

Hi Joe,
:star_struck:…the first attempt I was already impressed,…now the 2nd is all to applaud for…and the progress is splashing…Your version just brings a smile to my face. :rainbow: :sunflower:

@brianlarsen I absolutely love the IZ version, that’s the reason I have to buy a ukulele one day, that version always makes me so happy … and a little sad at the same time (always thought, you don’t get old with a body like that ,…well, we see his cremation in this version :cry:)

Greetings Joe and can`t wait to see more

So true Joe, I couldn’t believe how nervous I got just recording. But it was helpful for sure. It took over a week of trying and getting used to recording. I’m having fun, and that’s the most important.

HI Roger, thanks so much!!
Smiles is what we all need!
I’m cat sitting and visiting family at the moment, so harder to practice right now.
maidie

Pretty simple, cool song. I actually messed up toward the end. I was about to sing the outro, but realized I still had one more chorus left. I think I covered it up well.

Felt like doing this one standing up.

Mod Add: note the performance includes a couple of F-bombs as per the original

Trying to post a song every week. This is week 3!

16 Likes

I’m loving your weekly posts Joe. Your years of experience playing, performing in the arts is evident and that includes seamlessly playing though oopsie moments. You command your stage.

One thing, I know you know this, check you breath and air flow support. It will help keep your pitch, fill out tones and give you an outro that completes the song. I felt out of breath with you during the last note.

Not sure how the xxxx word will go across. We have a no swear policy here.

1 Like

A pleasure to listen to. Thanks Joe :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A treat as always, Joe.

I’m not sure how you setup to record this. For my taste, I’d have liked the vocal up just a wee bit in level. Not saying there was anything wrong with the way you had it, I heard every word. Just a thought.

You covered up the slip at the end. If you’d said nothing I might not have noticed at all, though I think it was just ever so slightly evident in the vocal delivery of the last line.

I enjoyed the drop down into fry at the end which could have have been a little stronger, held a fraction longer, but maybe that was a shortage of breathe due to the adjustment made.

Loving the regular recordings. As you do this do you have any particular medium terms goals that you are building towards?

Thanks for amplifying our etiquette, Maggie.

Joe,
Well done, well play and sung. Kind of a repetitive chord sequence in this song. But none the less, I enjoyed it!

Keep them coming and rock on!
LB

1 Like

Nice job Joe can’t really fault it was played pretty much identical to the original. I agree with David that on this one bringing the vocal more to the front and are that the prominent feature would probably work better.

1 Like

Very nice Joe, the quality does show your experience - looking forward to your future weekly updates!
BTW **** (expletives) words are frowned upon as others have said, it’s down to the age group of some of our viewers.

1 Like

A song a week is a great project aim. In the old incarnation of the forum, we had a regular member Johan do exactly the same. He was at an earlier stage of learning than you are. The progress he made in tackling his project was transformative. It will be interesting to see how you build and improve and push yourself this year from your current position.

RE: no swear policy.

We do have an etiquette on obscenity (amongst other things) though it does not extend to censure of a song such as this.

Richard :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another great song Joe. A gritty song and you performed it really well.
A song a week that’s quite an undertaking! Good luck.

1 Like

@Thejoechoi I thought this was superb, Joe. Your playing was faultless and it was a very impassioned vocal. I didn’t know about the no swearing policy but fortunately I don’t think I’ve recorded any covers with expletives :crazy_face:
You should replace it with a euphemism like “you’re all flipping peasants as far as I can see” but I don’t think John would have been so kind!
Keep the great covers coming!

1 Like

As Richard said, and I implied in my add to the main post, the odd expletive in a song like this one, is OK. I added the note to warn people who might not know that is in the lyrics.

The use of expletives among others things is not how we interact with each other here, as outlined in the Community Etiquette post.

That said, I think there are songs out there that would be at odds with our Community etiquette and spirit. Hopefully won’t be called upon not moderate posting of such songs.

1 Like

Thank-you, Joe. I am really enjoying your weekly posts.

1 Like

Thank you, Tim! This is a fun one to play.

Justin had a lesson on this. So blame him for the swearing!

I don’t know if I ran out of breath. I might have. I don’t remember! I want to work on that part. I realized I don’t enunciate some of the words like John does. My “to” in “if you want to be a hero” gets muddled. He’s very crisp with those. I picked up some bad California speech habits. I’m very cognizant of those when I record voice over, but need to pay more attention in music I guess.

1 Like

Justin taught a lesson on this song! He played it with the swear words!

1 Like