These Days (Jackson Browne) + Time in a Bottle (Jim Croce) covers

Beautifully done Abhi. You are mining a rich seam of musical goodies.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Thank you very much for your feedback! It means a lot, and I’m glad you enjoyed it :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Jim Croce definitely left this world too early. I always wonder what kind of music he would have made if he had more time, and how many gems we possibly missed out on.

Thank you Richard! Trying my best to keep the learning as fun as possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very well played. Thanks for posting these.

1 Like

Beautifully played and sung, both of them! I love Time in a Bottle. It’s still a little beyond me right now, but I hope to learn it some day.

1 Like

Thank you for listening :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! Time in a bottle is definitely a bit more of a tricky one, took some time for it to become second nature, still working on it though :slight_smile:

1 Like

@abhiralla Abishek, dude! Your Time in a Bottle cover is awesome! These Days is great as well.

I honestly can’t think of any feedback for you. You’re kicking my butt man lol.

I wish I could play finger style and sing like you. What was your process to get that skill down? I can play some of the Grade 5 Folk Fingerstyle Patterns while my girlfriend sings, but everything falls apart when I add in my own vocals.

1 Like

Two good videos Abhishek. Particularly loved Time In A Bottle, which I’ve tried to learn myself but I can’t manage the stretch to the C# on the 5th string. I’ll keep trying but not sure I’ll ever make it.

1 Like

Thanks so much dude, I really appreciate it! Nah, not kicking anyone’s butt, hardly a competition :slight_smile: glad you enjoyed.

I practiced, a lot. Haha. I know that probably doesn’t help, but I genuinely practiced a lot. 6-8 hours at some point. I’ve been seriously practicing for about a year and a half now. I’ve still got a lot to learn, but a year and a half ago I wouldn’t have even dreamt of playing like I do now.

I also have a great guitar teacher, who plays a lot of fingerstyle.

I will say start easy, so you can really automate the fingerpicking, that’s always the hardest part. Your fingers need to understand how many notes they can play within, and your thumb needs to learn to keep the beat.

Travis picking is how I got started, but I also had a serious passion for fingerstyle.

I learned Kathy’s song, fire and rain, you’ve got a friend (not Travis picking). But maybe try something easy like can’t help falling in love with you or some Bob Dylan tune.

1 Like

Thanks as always John. That C# is a nasty stretch, took me a long time to learn. I try and literally rotate my hand so I can reach it. I also found playing the C note with the thumb quite difficult but there are alternatives to it. Happy to chat more regarding this song!

Sorry for my delayed reply! Somehow I missed the notification for your comment.

Yeah I know it’s not a competition … but everything kinda is LOL :innocent: (or maybe I’m just a competitive person?)

Fair enough on starting with easy songs and working up from there. Boyce Avenue has a pretty manageable cover of 'Can’t Help Falling In Love" on YouTube with a basic finger style pattern. I might start there and then work up to more complicated patterns.

Thanks of the song recs!

I look forward to hearing more of your recordings, btw.

Just heavenly. Amazing playing and such a soft nice vocals. Love it! :clap:

The only critic I have - It’s a shame that the second video is not available anymore :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so so much for such kind feedback! I actually deleted all my YouTube videos, since I got a new setup and want to make some higher quality videos. I’ll reupload soon :slight_smile:

VERY well done, Abhi! I have got to get back to this song again. Time in a Bottle was one of the first I learned on acoustic once I decided to focus on fingerpicking. I don’t think I ever sang or played it as well as you did, so you just inspired me to give it another go these years later.

Really enjoyable rendition of the Jim Croce song, excellent Abhi. The Jackson Browne one isn’t available for some reason?