Tonight I’ll be Staying Here With You - Bob Dylan

:see_no_evil:
That’s one of the tings what happens when i type without google translate :blush:
Greetings…

1 Like

Hi LB. Thanks for the kind words. Plenty of good music from the 60s/70s to keep me going!
Any suggestions as to how I should go about adding more to the mids? Do you mean hitting the middle strings more?

Looking forward to your version of “Desolation Row” :smiley:

1 Like

Hi,
I would have to know for sure how your capturing your guitar. My guess is you are using a mic and no DI. So not much tone option there without bringing the guitar into the DAW or something and touching the EQ. I think your OTW offerings are pretty straight up with no sound manipulations? I have one thing that might richen up the tone. Are you putting a lot arm on the guitar? Perhaps using the guitar to hold up your arm maybe? If so you could try playing, then back your arm off the guitar and listen to the tonal difference. I can hear it on mine and the arm kind of acts like a mute. Now, if you do notice a change, don’t ask me how to get used to playing that way as it would not be easy to do…

Oh, if you are using a single mic to record both the guitar and your voice, you might be pretty limited as you balance is already good. But possibly try slight position changes. Maybe favor the soundhole just a tad more??? Experimentation is the key here. Now if your using a cell phone, all bets are off… :wink:

Not much help I am afraid…
LB

1 Like

Well I guess all bets are off then. :smiley:
I’ll take on board your other suggestions of arm position and strumming position.

Gordon just keep doing what you’ve always done. Pick up your guitar and enjoy it. This is what I like about your videos and your playing. It is you and your guitar.

2 Likes

Ah, it is a phone… pretty good sound for that Gordon and your doing well there. Basically though, the phone is a portable mic and recording device. So you could try tweaking a little more it’s position. Of all the studio stuff I do, recording acoustic guitars is not my forte. But I would think as you aim a bit more for the soundhole you might pick up a richer tone??? It might not take much either.

Do let me know what you find on the arm to guitar positioning though. I was skeptical of that one. But even with my hearing I could tell a difference. My experiments showed you were best off touching the guitar with the arm right on the edge of the guitar. If you think about it, the flat surfaces of the guitar resonate and adds to the texture of the sound produced. If you put 20lbs of meat on the guitar surface skin, it has to deaden it.

Mute on!

All the best,
LB

1 Like

Yes my setup is as basic as it gets. The other limitation of course is framing the video.
You make a good point though about an arm stopping the guitar top resonating.

@LBro I think you should spend more time out side enjoying your acoustic and less time in the studio trying to make thing sound different than they actually do.

I can’t think of a single recording you’ve posted that I have not enjoyed. That to me was your best one I’ve had the pleasure of watching so far since my time in the community. I thought that your acoustic rhythm playing has gone up a notches, the embellishments/fills came off really well.

1 Like

Guilty as charged there Stitch. But I am always on the lookout for better guitar tones. As said, this one is not my strong suits. But when asked I do try and help others if I can…

LB

1 Like

@LBro
I’ve just spent a little time analysing my arm position. It rests pretty much on the outside edge of the guitar so I think there must be minimal interference with the guitar top’s resonance.

The back of the guitar has lot more body contact but I don’t think I can avoid that as you need something to press against when playing.

It has been a while since I ran into the “body mute” on the guitar. In addition, if one holds the guitar tight to the body it will do much the same thing and maybe even moreso!

All the best,
LB

1 Like

Before now I didn’t even know body mute was a thing. :smiley:
Thanks for your input on all this LB.

I found one way to combat this thing and take care of a couple other things. The guitar strap became my pal. I have it up shorter than most would. I can still play. But by raising the guitar I find it is in the same position whether I stand or sit. When sitting it is suspended mostly and not really resting on the knee. Now, if one is into the body/arm mute thing, they can fine tune the whole deal to lessen the contact with the guitar by the players body and for sure it helps tone.

To me Gordon, considering you are using a phone. You are getting very good results! Keep up the great play and all the best!
LB

1 Like

Enjoyed that. The embellishments added a whole lot to the performance. Vocals were really good to.

1 Like

Not actually familiar with that Bob Dylan song, but at my age I probably should be! Loved your version anyway.

1 Like

I’m actually looking for someone to manage my fan club. You sound like just the man James! :joy:

Adding in the embellishments certainly helped this one along. Thanks for the kind comments.

All depends on the salary and benefit package offered :roll_eyes:

1 Like

@skinnyt
Thanks for the listen and support Trevor. Much appreciated
@thegoog
Thanks Greg. Glad I’ve introduced you to a new song and pleased you enjoyed it.

1 Like