Transcribing Program

Does anyone know of a program where you can write out sheet music and guitar tabs and share it with others?

I have an app but it doesn’t allow me to share what I’m working on with other musicians.

1 Like

Have you looked at Tuxguitar? I’ve not used it for a while but I think it will do that.

Thank you! I will check it out. :+1::smiley:

1 Like

I use Transcribe! for the listening and replaying part of transcribing and Guitar Pro for the writing it down.

GP is pretty good, it will generate sheet music for you while you’re entering a tab.

2 Likes

Yes… if you know what you’re doing with regards to note lengths and such :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you! :smiley: I have been looking at Guitar Pro. Haven’t heard of Transcribe! But it looks like it would be helpful. I also saw a program called Muse Score but I am not sure it’s what I’m looking for.

1 Like

Thank you for noting that about note lengths. I could probably figure that out. :smiley:

That’s what I use, and it does the job fine for me. You can import GP tracks into it too.

1 Like

Thank you for your response! I guess it all depends on cost and what you need. :blush:

Indeed. Given the price I’m sure Guitar Pro does a bunch of things that the completely free MuseScore doesn’t, but I have no idea what those things are. I wanted a way to transcribe songs and play downloaded GP tabs, and it does both so… why spend money on functionality I don’t currently need?

Muse Score looks like it has a free trial but then it charges? Guess I’m confused by their offerings. :face_with_monocle:

I’m not sure where you’re getting that from. It’s open source and compeltely free of charge. They don’t even take donations, and there are no paid upgrades or addons. Just to be sure, make sure you are accessing it through the official website:

That’s weird.

https://musescore.com/

Ah, ok. Same company, two different things.

What you found is their service for taking theory courses and downloading official sheet music. They charge for that. However, the software itself is definitely free of charge, and available from the .org site I linked to above. (The .com site actually links to the .org site for the software download.)

1 Like

Thank you @Goffik for clearing up the confusion. :smiley: I will have to check that out and see if I can use it for what I’m doing now. Do you like it?

1 Like

Yep, so far so good. Simple to get the hang of the basics, and does everything I need it to right now. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has used both MuseScore and Guitar Pro, to see if there is anything important missing from one or the other.

1 Like

@Goffik I agree. :+1:

I went out today looking for a book on song composition and all I could find in the store are music theory books. I have a songwriting book that gives lyrical structure but nothing on composition.

Has anyone tried the following program?

2 Likes

James

I have Transcribe! which Justin recommends but that looks pretty trick, especially the playable tab function. Might be worth a further look.

Good share.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

Thanks Toby. It would be good for someone familiar with Transcribe! to take a look at it and give their thoughts on it. It looks to be a bit of a hybrid Transcribe!/GuitarPro and for personal use has a free option which may appeal to someone just hitting Grade 3 and being introduced to transcribing Soundslice plans and pricing