Travel guitar - any recommendations?

I have a travel guitar that is actually named 'Travel guitar". Itā€™s well made. It has a stethoscope headset that you plug in giving it some volume. I bought a tiny Marshal amp as it is electric for both acoustic and electric sound. It has itā€™s pros, it disassembles and is very small for traveling. I always bring it on the plane with me. The cons are you must have a strap and for some reason i find barr chords difficult. I guess not having a full body. it does the job.

1 Like

As I said in the old thread, if you want a decent ā€œbeaterā€ type travel guitar, then itā€™s hard to go wrong with the Harley Benton GS Mini. Itā€™s certainly made to a price, and the finish isnā€™t the best, but they play well and sound pretty good for the price. Especially when you consider that some travel acoustic guitars are 4-5 times the price have a similar construction.

But if you want something a bit nicer, I agree the LAG and the Cort posted by @DarrellW look great. I may consider one of those myself at some point.

by the way, Iā€™ve done business with Richardā€™s Guitars before (I bought my G&L from him). Heā€™s a lovely man who only stocks products he likes and believes in, and gives great service.

For electric, the Traveller Guitars look very good.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Iā€™ve owned a Journey OF660 carbon fibre guitar for something like 5 years now and have been quite happy with it. We traveled from Australia to the USA back in 2016 and it was great having it along.

Because I play fingerstyle without finger picks, it was a bit quieter than I would have liked so I bought a VOX headphone amp and a JBL blue tooth speaker and used a 3.5mm headphone cable to connect the headphone amp to the speaker. Itā€™s not what Iā€™d call a gigging setup, it was just what I needed when playing outdoor to friends and family, just enough to boost the volume. Had I been playing with a plectrum, that probably wouldnā€™t have been necessary.

I was fortunate my guitar was fine out of the box. I had a friend who bought one and it needed a bit of attention, so the quality referenced in an early post, while not an issue for me has been an issue for people I know.

Now we are traveling around AU in our caravan, I have my daily play (conventional wooden guitar) with me and the Journey is packed as it takes up such little space so I have a backup available should something happen to my wooden guitar.

Another option for traveling is the Yamaha Silent Guitar. Itā€™s normally played through headphones. I have a friend who uses his with the same sort of bluetooth speaker using the 3.5mm headphone cable.

I also have a Yamaha Silent guitar and love it for what itā€™s good at, playing silently, yet I miss the feeling of the guitar body vibrating on my torso when I play it.

1 Like

As I am on the road a lot because of work, I have also tried out a lot of guitars that fit the description.

Right now I own a Ultra-Light Electric from Traveler Guitars (I think Justin also recommended that one on the old forum a long time ago) - but I have to say that it feels too small for me and it does not make me want to play. But: its very small size makes it possible to just throw it into your luggage or even checked baggage.

If size and space is not the biggest issue, and your not likely to travel by plane, I would also try out the Yamaha CSF3M. In terms of size its comparable to the Taylor GS Mini, but it is all solid at the same price. Tried it out in the store and immediately wanted to buy it. Since I am mostly travelling by plane I refused the urge :wink:

1 Like

Bought a Journey and returned it. Sounded nothing like the videos.
Hate to bash any builder but just saying!

1 Like

Got a two week, cross country motorcycle trip coming up in late August, so Iā€™ve been doing some research on electrics that are small enough to strap across the back of the bike. Has anyone tried Blackstar Carry On guitars? Theyā€™ve got a short scale length, but at a bit less than 30" overall length, itā€™d be ideal. Iā€™ve also been looking at the Traveler series (Ultra-Light Electric, etc.), but figure that might feel really weird to play. Will use it with headphones and a Fender Mustang Micro. The hope is to get something short enough to throw into my dry bag as rain is to be expected.

1 Like

Scott

No serious answers but plenty of options. Hope you have a great trip later in the year and keep all the bikers here posted.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

download
images (1)
images (2)
images
download (1)

1 Like

Thanks! Ha haā€¦yea, noā€¦no full-sized guitar on the trip, lol.

2 Likes

A little late on my reply, but I bought a Journey Overhead+ in mahogany and I am very happy with it. IMHO, the tone is way better than the Taylor GS and Martin Mini I tried at a Guitar Center. Itā€™s not a dreadnought, but itā€™s really comfortable to play while sitting on the couch!

1 Like

@Fast-Eddie
Hi Eddie. Interesting how different people always have different opinions. Thereā€™s never an easy answer. I still havenā€™t bought a travel guitar. The last time I was away I took my dreadnaught with me and as we went by car the size factor wasnā€™t important.
Itā€™s more the potential for damage that worries me. If I do get a ā€˜travelā€™ guitar itā€™s more likely to be at the lower end of the price scale.

I have a Traveler brand (Traveler Guitar EG-1 Custom - Full-Scale Electric Guitar) travel electric guitar (EG-1 Custom). Have had it for maybe a couple years. Pretty happy with it. I like the compact size when kicked back in recliner or take out on deck. Can hook it up to iPad and headphones for porch sitting. It has a small body and no headstock so feels small at first. Had a finish problem with my first one but they eventually came thru and exchanged it for there next higher model. All said and done, Traveler did me right. Based on my previous experience I would not recommend the model with flat black finish. Traveler may have corrected the problem by now, donā€™t know.

1 Like

I travel a lot and wanted a guitar that I could easily travel with and practice. I am an engineer by discipline so had to research this in great detail. I finally decided and purchased an Ultra-Light electric guitar from Traveler Guitar and could not be more pleased. It holds tune so well and takes up little room and sounds really good!. I am not a ā€˜Techieā€™ but use it with a Digitech RP80 and a small Photive portable speaker (5"x2"x2").
Hope this help.Electric Guitars ā€“ Traveler Guitar

3 Likes

Well Iā€™ve finally got one!
NGD - Travel guitar

1 Like

Iā€™ve just ordered myself one of these, pending favorable results, itā€™ll be upgrading to the electro-acoustic actuator-equipped Nova Go AI model once itā€™s available in my local.

2 Likes

For anyone still looking, Peach guitars have these on sale.

Apologies to @sairfingers & @Rod58 I couldnā€™t say noā€¦

3 Likes

This is my current ā€œtravelā€ guitar :joy:

Iā€™m actually heading off to Malaysia this evening with her in my suitcase, to reunite her with her original owner.

A couple of years ago, I took her to Tokyo like this, when I was working there.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Wow thatā€™s a great price! Iā€™m traveling today and have mine with me! Mine was not a super high action but a lot higher than my electric which I knew it would be so I took a little off the bottom of the saddle block and it feels better to my liking. Although I would say the original action height wasnā€™t terrible. I donā€™t have a lot of acoustic experience but Iā€™m sure like most things there are better ones and worse ones but Iā€™m a fan and this one is mine!:grin:. Hope yā€™all like it too!ā€¦.Rod

2 Likes

Thanks Rod, hoping itā€™s a ā€˜good oneā€™. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the Enya Nova Go AI or even this one ā€¦ The Enya NEXG

I use a Blackstar Carry-On, though itā€™s the cheap-o version on Amazon, got it for Ā£120. Double checked with Blackstar to make sure it was really theirs and not a rip off.
Carry-On on Amazon
It does the job perfectly well for me just to noodle on, keep the fingers going. My theory being Iā€™m not away in the sun much so I wanted a cheapy one that was ok for a week away occasionally, I didnā€™t see the point of a more expensive one for just for a week or two of practice, and Iā€™d be worried a more expensive one might get damaged. Anyway it did the job fine for me recently. I think itā€™s too big to be actually ā€˜carry onā€™ luggage in the UK, so i threw it into a suitcase and wrapped it with clothes. Itā€™s sturdy and survived the trip just fine (thereā€™s no gig bag but i had something). And if it had broken it wouldnā€™t have been the end of the world.
I would have used it with my Fender Micro amp but i find that one fiddly, so I use a Spark Mini which does a great job as a travel Amp, and is rechargeable and quite light so very portable.
For acoustic, I have a Gretsch Jim Dandy to take about, but I have a soft spot for that guitar so in the end i donā€™t like to take it traveling :slight_smile:

1 Like