Travel guitar - any recommendations?

Hi Guys
I started a thread on the old forum looking for travel guitar recommendations. I thought it might be useful to start one here on the new site.

I still havenā€™t bought one but itā€™s something thatā€™s at the back of my mind.
A post from @jsgreen 10 days off from playing over Xmas raised the issue of lack of practice when on holiday which Iā€™m sure is something we all suffer from. (Assuming we are ever allowed to go on holiday again!)

Justin did a review of one option here.

What was your preference Gordon, acoustic or electric ?

Car acoustic
Car electric

9 Likes

Hey Gordon, same recommendations as before from me :slight_smile:

Any Taylor GS Mini or one of the Martin Jr. models.

I owned a GS Mini-e Koa which I miss every day, and I currently still have a Martin DJr.-10 which sounds and plays way better than it has any right to.

I also got a Journey OF660 which is cool if you need maximum portability but doesnā€™t come close to the other two in terms of craftsmanship, sound, and especially playability. Also, the price is kind of sucky.

1 Like

Hi Ivan. Thatā€™s the carbon fibre one you bought? Iā€™m shocked you think the craftsmanship and sound are poor. Itā€™s certainly not a cheap guitar. Itā€™s Ā£1100 at Thomann UK.

If you have deep pockets you will not find anything better!

If you want something more modest.

Or

Any of them are very good but the Furch is just something else!

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s a bit of a mixed bag.

Itā€™s awesome that you can dip it in the sea and leave it out in the sun without having to worry about it getting damaged. Once itā€™s folded up itā€™s small enough so you can store it in an airplane overhead bin while traveling (which I did). The locking tuners are nice, and it can also handle medium gauge strings which is really important to me.

But - the onboard pickup is pretty bad. The action is really high even with the additional ā€œlowā€ saddle which was included. The live sound is good but not great, I definitely prefer the other two I mentioned. And this is what it looks like on the inside:

Maybe itā€™s supposed to be like that but to me it kinda looks like someone didnā€™t bother cleaning it up.

1 Like

The grain on that LAG is beautiful. Help ! I am not going anywhere or planning to but that old sensation is bubbling again :scream:

2 Likes

Steady Toby. Santaā€™s just been!

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t it you dear sir who made the reference to pockets and shrouds, if I recall ? :mage:

2 Likes

Haha yes youā€™re right.

3 Likes

Hi Ivan. I suppose a lot of the money in the Journey guitars is the tech involved in the detachable neck. I donā€™t anticipate ever flying with a guitar so thatā€™s not a priority. Carbon fibre must be great in terms of travel/sea/sun/humidity damage but it certainly comes at a price.

Iā€™ll keep looking out for a reasonably priced smaller sized wooden guitar that I can use on holiday and in the garden etc. so something along the lines of the ones @DarrellW suggested (not the Furch) is probably the way to go.
Iā€™ll keep my eye on the secondhand Taylor GS market too. Iā€™m in no rush.

1 Like

Hereā€™s another great option if the idea of Carbon fibre attracts you, available as Acoustic, Electro acoustic and with built in effects (no amp required) from Ā£529 to Ā£699.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an interesting one Darrell. Clearly carbon fibre is a developing market.

1 Like

Interesting demonstration of what you get!

1 Like

Wow the girl certainly makes it sound great. Although I always think the experts in these types of video could make a broom handle and a bit of wire sound good!
Perhaps the sound effect thing is a bit gimmicky?

2 Likes

Looked pretty trick and Mary was certainly a happy bunny :rabbit:

2 Likes

Honestly Iā€™ve come to realize that price is not always a good indicator of quality. It should be, but personal experience sadly shows otherwise.

Iā€™ve played guitars that punch way above their weight class as far as price is concerned (Taylor GS Mini, Martin Djr., Art & Lutherie). I also played guitars which have absolutely no business costing as much as they did (Strandberg, Ibanez). Even my Gibson L-00 has some glue marks and blemishes which really shouldnā€™t be there but I let it slide since itā€™s part of their whole ā€˜proudly hand-madeā€™ gimmick. Or maybe Iā€™m just overly picky :man_shrugging:

Anyway when buying guitars online definitely make sure the shop has a good return policy, or if possible buy locally so you can try them first.

1 Like

My pal Chris (from OM fiddle fame) has a Furch and is well happy with it. Iā€™ve played it a couple of times and it is a beautiful instrument.
Youā€™re a year or two ahead of me, Gordon, so Iā€™m not sure how much time you have left :laughing:
If you have the dosh, Iā€™d treat yourself now. (I never met anyone who regretted spending even a large amount of money if it brought them joy).
If youā€™re planning on playing it in a canoe, maybe the carbon fibre option would be betterā€¦

3 Likes

:joy: Brian if thereā€™s one thing I know about canoes itā€™s ā€˜donā€™t stand upā€™. Just as well I can only play sitting down.
As for how long Iā€™ve got leftā€¦ā€¦

I have a travel guitar that is actually named 'Travel guitar". Itā€™s well made. It has a stethoscope headset that you plug in giving it some volume. I bought a tiny Marshal amp as it is electric for both acoustic and electric sound. It has itā€™s pros, it disassembles and is very small for traveling. I always bring it on the plane with me. The cons are you must have a strap and for some reason i find barr chords difficult. I guess not having a full body. it does the job.

1 Like