Traveler playing live - December 2022

Thank you @pkboo3 !! This is probably my favorite stage that I have played on so far. It was very spacey and the lighting was awesome!

Heya guys!!

I just wanted to throw in a clip from my gig tonight.

Different place, had to adapt in quite a few ways, but it worked out awesome. I got a lot of nice compliments, but more importantly my brand expanded and I got a few more gigs.

Ring Of Fire—Johnny Cash (Live)

You guys are awesome!

Traveler.

6 Likes

Meant to put that in the live section. Sorry guys

I had a couple pints after the show. Ha

1 Like

No worries, Travis, all sorted.

1 Like

Great stuff Travis! Well played with lots of gusto and cool vocals! In fact I also loved the backing vocals from… was it the camera person?? You should get them singing along side you, would make a super rad duet! :thinking: :wink: Well done mate! :clap: :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @nzmetal !! This video was actually recorded by my wife, who often sings with me. She was going to sing with me last night, but the space that I was playing in was a little tight. Next time!

1 Like

Great stuff Travis. Well done.

1 Like

Thank you @Socio !! I had a lot of fun at this one and had a great crowd!

Great to see someone else playing live, must be a great feeling.

1 Like

@skinnyt its my new favorite thing to do. Ha. I have another gig tonight!

Bike shop session. Dig it!

That G to C transition is a tough one with that G fingering. I abandoned that fingering early on in my journey, I think it is holding you back as well. Consider the following alternative Gmaj chord fingering for faster/smoother changes:

WEAK FINGER G - Nothing is lost by muting that low B note because you already have a B note from the open B string.

There are other alternate G maj chord fingerings as well that work better than the ring finger anchor on the high E string.

1 Like

This is a good point @CT . I do often use the “stuck” G for songs, but it doesn’t always jive with country. What I really need to make more of a habit of is the G version with 3rd finger on the 5th string, 4th finger on the 6th string, and pinky on the first string. It’s a very easy transition from C.

First let me say that you have the vocal chops to really give justice to those cowboy chord songs!

Tighten up your chord changes which in turn will help your strum steadiness. Your changes will fly with the Weak Finger G. There is too much emphasis sometimes on the big “hit all six strings” cowboy and bar chords. They can actually sound muddy. We only need three notes to make a minor or major chord.

If you use the “Rock” G maj you can use the Cadd9 for some nice tone variations and super fast changes:

1 Like

I employ that tactic for quite a few songs, but not this one :+1:

I think it’s a double edged sword because overusing the add9 chords excessively because they are easier isn’t the best option either, in my opinion. It can lead to every song sounding like “every rose has its thorn” or “I remember you”.

You 'da man! Play on playa. :guitar: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Travis,

All you needed was to dress in black and you’d be Johnny Cash lol. I am very impressed that you are performing live and doing gigs. I hope to get to that point myself sooner than later. I agree with what you said about the C add 9. I used to be lazy and over use Cadd9 from G.I broke that habit and mix it up, thanks to the following tip. One tip a professional musician who plays at our local steak restaurant gave me is to mix up versions of the chords on purpose, not by mistake to add to the musicality and interest of the song. The song does not have to be exactly like the original artist. Mix an A with an A sus 2 or hammer on that third finger at the chorus. Explore, as Justin says if it sounds good it is good.

My wife really likes “My Maria” by Brooks and Dunn. I started playing that one yesterday and I am working on making it more interesting than doing it just the same way everyone else has ever done it. Though it is someone else’s song I hope to leave a version that speaks to my own unique style and flavor, if that makes sense. The initial play through I did sounded less than appealing, so more work to do. I am sure you’ve played that one, only 3 chords really will do the trick.

Thanks for sharing the video…wishing you the best in 2023.

Jeff

1 Like

Awesome point in your first paragraph @SDKissFan . I probably need to focus a bit more on adding my own dynamics and chord varieties, in specific places. I’m in the process of completely rearranging how I learn a song. I think one hand will feed the other.

“My Maria” is a great song! I always liked Brooks and Dunn!

This thread has already encouraged me to not just practice the weak finger G, but employ it. It’s cool what we all get out of all of this.

Happy New Years to you!!

Here is another clip from my last gig. Any feedback would be awesome all!

Happy new year to all of you!

Into The Mystic—Van Morrison (Live)

1 Like

Great performance mate

1 Like